Purnululu - Walardi Campsite

G'Day Campers,
Rightly or wrongly, I have booked a few nights at the above campsite. I have a standard 150 Series Prado and a 2010 Crusader Cross Country van (off-road suspension). I am a conservative driver, prepared to take it slowly. Am I going to be biting off more than I am going to be able to chew. Seeking advise from people who have had recent experience on this road.
TIA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 21:06

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 21:06
Only single axle vans are permitted.
https://exploreparks.dbca.wa.gov.au/park/purnululu-national-park

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644369

Reply By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 15:10

Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 15:10
DBCA only allow single axles into this NP

One very steep exit through one creek crossing which then turns hard left on slope. the other crossings are OK. a few sectiuons if you come across a tour 4x4 bus you have to give way to it drive into culvert or similar

the weekly fuel single semi gets through only one driver does the run, the NP has to stock up on fuel if he goes on holidays as no other driver prepared to take it on
AnswerID: 644374

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 22:50

Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 22:50
As advised, single axle only. I was there about 3 weeks ago and it's fairly rough , nothing like the Tanami but rough.
Lots of vand unhook at the nearby free camp and drive in.
I wouldn't take jy van there
AnswerID: 644375

Reply By: nick g1 - Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 08:52

Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 08:52
You don't tell us the length of your van. The limiting factor for this drive is your ramp over angle. A long twin Axel van will scrap its back end and your tow bar on some of the creek crossings and dips. A smaller shorter single Axel van will have no trouble.
I took a 13ft single Axel off Rd van in in 2020. Took me 2 hrs with a lot of care and first gear driving but made it in one piece. It was worth it as we stayed 10days and did all the walks and it would have been ridiculous to drive in every day on that track.
The track will never be upgraded as the station owner won't pay for it and N Ps won't either as the track in is not on their land.
AnswerID: 644471

Sponsored Links