GPS units

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 14:17
ThreadID: 146223 Views:2052 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently on my second Garmin Glo2 unit in about 7years. The first one got over heated where it was placed and was considered unservicable according to tech. The second one (my current device) is now playing up. Have replaced the battery which was purchased from original supplier. It seems to be charging, but all is pointing to another internal failure. This has been a good product to use in the past, but I feel it is not lasting long enough for the amount of times I use it.
Question is, is there another simple GPS unit using Glasnoss that I may be able to use. As not being tech savvy myself, and annoying the christ out of the cook (the navigator) who is better tech savvy than myself, can some recommendations be put forward to me to look at, I will then pass this idea onto Judy to look at, then throw the saucepan lid at me. lol not really.
I shall be away for the next couple of weeks with in and out service.
Thanks in advance for your efforts. Garry
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 16:30

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 16:30
Hello Garry
I think you mean Glonass as the GPS system , Glasnost (spelling) was a past political situation in Russia from memory.
Why is it important to have Glonass and not other systems used by other countries? ie, The four global GNSS systems are – GPS (US), GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (EU), BeiDou (China). There are other local systems QZSS (Japan) and IRNSS or NavIC (India)
AnswerID: 644400

Follow Up By: GarryR - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 17:47

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 17:47
Hi RMD, they state that Glonass system has more satellites to pin my position than the 2 satellites that the Ipad I believe locates, bit more accurate.
What you state in your answer seems amazing, but sorry I do do understand all the terminology. If someone could suggest to me something similar to what I am using that is still fairly simple to use and understand would be great. Do not mean to offend you, but, all I am trying to do is replace my Garmin Glo2 with something similar, hence asking for help to what is on the market that I may be able to obtain locally. Thanks

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924491

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 17:51

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 17:51
"Why is it important to have Glonass and not other systems used by other countries?"

Possibly this bit from Wikipedia explains things - "Satellite navigation devices supporting both GPS and GLONASS have more satellites available, meaning positions can be fixed more quickly and accurately, especially in built-up areas where buildings may obscure the view to some satellites. GLONASS supplementation of GPS systems also improves positioning in high latitudes (north or south)."

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924492

Follow Up By: GarryR - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 18:22

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 18:22
Hi Peter D,, I am led to believe that the Garmin Glo2 uses the Glonass system, hence the statement from me about Glonass. I did not know about all the other systems that have been stated. As stated I am Not tech savvy at all, and require help from my son in law, who is working away for the next few weeks. This is why I have asked the forum , who have much knowledge amongst it for help.
I are now feeling I am being belittled because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. All I asked for was, are there other available units on the market that I can purchase locally that meets my needs, that are simple to install and use.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924493

Follow Up By: GarryR - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 18:42

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 18:42
Further to my statement, I am would be sure that other members also use external GPS to their device whether Ipad or Laptop. What are some other users using, to help with their navigation. Do they have problems with the unit? How long have has the unit lasted before replacement? Am I expecting too much for a unit to last 3 years being used 4 times a year for approx 2 - 3 weeks at a time. As stated any help in this direction would be appreciated

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924494

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 20:01

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 20:01
Garry
No one is belittling you, you created that. All I and others have done is simply point out other systems. I too do not know all about everything in relation to GPS systems. However, I think the Glonass system is more slanted to northern hemisphere coverage, maybe I am incorrect there, whereas GPS , ie, USA system is much the same world wide. I use a cheap pad from china and it receives many satellites as does an earlier Pad which usually accessed 12 satellites. Perhaps the tech info you read re. the Garmin thingo is more common in northern system hence the recommendation it seems to indicate. I have no way of knowing who's satellites I can access, but to me 12 should do the job as well as you can get. If I walk two steps in my backyard it changes the data position. I have three other Garmin varieties of GPS and they all work ok, but I don't know if Glonass is used above others. No way to tell!
FollowupID: 924495

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 20:23

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 20:23
Garry, I was not directing anything at you. I am at a loss of how I belittled you. RMD asked you why you were looking at something that accessed the GLONASS system. Not knowing much about the system, I looked in Wikipedia to find out a little more about the system and found that little piece. I found it interesting that there could be systems that used GLONASS and the American GPS system together to improve the accuracy. I thought it interesting enough to share this with others. If you don't wish to know about that then just ignore it and you may feel better.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924496

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:17

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:17
I am sorry about stating feeling be littled, as when all the info about other countries and satellites were stated.
I was recommend my current gps through the forum, which I been pleased with. Yes, it was my fault that I stuffed up the first one, but took on the recommendations from the tech at Johnny Appleseed., to position it better.and storage. If I cannot find something similar and basic ,(I do not care who owns the satellites), I shall need to purchase another Glo2 shortly to get me out of trouble.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924499

Reply By: Member - wicket - Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 21:01

Saturday, Sep 09, 2023 at 21:01
If you’re not happy with the garmin take a look at magellan ,i have had one for several years , don’t use it much these days but it’s always been trouble free.
Some info here. https://www.magellangps.com.au/products/devices
AnswerID: 644403

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:09

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:09
Thanks wicket, had a look at these and they seem to cater more to physical sports, and feed info back to you.
What I was looking for was just am external gps to help with navigation. It looks like I shall need to purchase another garmin Glo2 from Johnny Appleseed in Sth Melb, as I am running short on time.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924498

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 08:18

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 08:18
Hi Garry

If you want to use with your IPad, you might want to check out some of these stand alone GPS units.

Stand alone GPS units.

I have an older Bad Elf unit, Bluetooth and can use it on 5 different units at once
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644404

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 08:32

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 08:32
Thanks Stephen, I see that the Dual XGPS 160 Skypro would suit my needs. It seems to be very simple to install and use. All the specs seem a bit overwhelming to me to get my head around. Best of all their in Melbourne which will make it easier to purchase. What is your personal opinion on this GPS that I have chosen, or should I just go back to the Garmin Glo2.
I had a look at the Bad Elf, but seems like to much infromation, and not user friendly to me . I am always getting my daughter to fix my phone and computer, . she cannot believe someone like me could stuff up things that easy. thanks for your input

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924500

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:03

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:03
Hi Garry

The only reason why I purchased a Bad Elf a few years ago was I was not ware of the Dual units.

One of my friends has a dual and very simple and easy to use, and at the time the 160 was not available only the 150.

I am sure that the 160 is similar in operation to the 150, as on the 150, there is a small switch on the side to switch between Apple/Windows/Android.

Either of those Dual products would be great and if you want the 160, then go for it, and you should very happy with its operation ion.

All the best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924501

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:31

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:31
Hi Stephen, I see that the dual 150A xgps reciever is still available at $225- and has 66 channels. I think I will go the dual 160 that uses more channels at a price tag of $305- . Both look really easy to use. Your right about the side switch , push one side for Ipad, ipod, etc and then the other way for android. That seems much easy. thanks for the website.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924502

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:42

Sunday, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:42
Garry, the Dual XGPS, BadElf, Garmin GLo 2 and others all do the same thing. Don’t overthink it!!

For $140 just replace it every few years. Less than 1 tank of diesel.

Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644405

Reply By: Peter J4 - Monday, Sep 11, 2023 at 07:47

Monday, Sep 11, 2023 at 07:47
A slightly easier direction for in vehicle use is to fit a re radiating GPS antenna in the vehicle.
I fitted one to our previous vehicle nearly 20 years ago and when we changed to the current Oka I refitted it in the Oka.
It picks up the GPS signal from the satellites and it has a second antenna inside the vehicle which radiates the GPS signals inside the vehicle allowing anything with a GPS to have strong signal as you travel.
It works especially well in older vehicles with lots of steel and smaller windows especially when travelling in southern areas or facing south (as most GPS constellations are in the Equatorial area).
Metallised window tint will also degrade incoming signals so it gets around that as well.
It also means phones and navigators can be located out of the sun which most don't like sitting up on the windscreen area in the heat.
I bought mine on ebay nearly 20 years ago, no idea if they are still available or where.
It doesn't solve the original posters problem of pads without an internal gps though.
AnswerID: 644408

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 16:37

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 16:37
Thanks Peter,, but i have looked at the re radiating GPS and consider it good but not easy to move from one vechile to another. Fortunately I was travelling a vechile with a re radiating device, to which I hooked into for most of the trip. I was connected to 2 devices ( including my garmin). Unfortunatly the Garmin failed yet again with 2 days to go. ( just finished my trip). I shall speak to agent to what is going wrong. All said I am looking at using a different device on recommendation by the tour guide we had for 13 days. Thanks for your input.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924594

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:02

Monday, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:02
USB GPS/Glonass receiver. Under $20.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644409