Cobb Cooker- I need help.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 16:29
ThreadID: 14625 Views:3753 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased a Cobb Cooker at the last Rosehill 4WD an camping show and despite several attempts and experiments, iI have to say I'm not happy with the results.
Let me set the scene.
At our age, travelling this wide land, eating good food and drinking fine wines is very important to us.
At home, I use a conventonal BBQ but more often than not I use my trusty Webber Kettle unit for everything except steak, lamb cutlets and lamb chops which I prefer to do on the ceramic/open grill side of the conventional BBQ.
For the past three years, in the bush, I have used a mini Weber or "smokey-joe" and while not quite as versatile as its big brother I have produced some memorable meals. (Rack of Lamb, Rack of Pork, easy carve lamb and medium rare porter house steaks.) The down side is that it requires a reasonable quantity of heatbeads, is biggish, dirty and difficult to stow for carrying.
So enter the Cobb, but for the life of me I can't come close to what I am used to.
The racks of meat take an eternity to cook, tend to burn on the bottom and that tasty but unhealthy layer of crispy fat is completely missing. The savings I make on the heat beads is more than lost in the extra red we consume in the waiting.
I've tried different quantities of beads, rasing the roast off the plate on a cake rack, etc etc without sucess.
As for my attemtp at grilling steak, that was hopeless.
Please help. What do I need to do. Please be gentle as SWMBO reads this forum and is demanding better food!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 17:24
Persist - we had the same problem. It is just practice and experimenting with the heat and most importantly number of beads. Wait for beads to heat properly everytime.

It takes about eight beads to cook a roast and takes as long as a conventional oven. think of it as your home oven. Their 'new' menu book is good, got one free from the show. Call cobb to get a copy. With damper put it in a cake tin not directly on grill. Water in the moat should be used for veges and meats or anything that needs to be kept moist.

We spoke to a women who uses it almost daily at home for her large family, so evidence enough it just takes practice.

If you try to contact the distributers (in Melb i think), they are good to talk too.

Cheers
JC
AnswerID: 67600

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:53

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:53
Thanks John,

I'll see if I can get hold of a copy of the Cobb cook book.

Regards,

Rosscoe
FollowupID: 328544

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:07
Rosscoe she has you well trained, does she do the driving??? Was thinking of putting one of these assessories on my wish list so I am pleased to read how they are working for everyone. Any SWBO's opinions???

©arolÿn
AnswerID: 67625

Reply By: Member - Ian M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:49
I had some ordinary attempts with my Cobb at first - then I tried genuine HeatBeads and most problems were solved, although sometimes the veges aren't cooked well enough. I do turn roasts at least once - I too miss the unhealthy fat but pretend that is good for us! Not convinced a Cobb is a good griller though.
My only problem is that the liquid in the moat sometimes seeps through onto the base - bit messy!

IAN
AnswerID: 67662

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:57

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:57
I use my Cobb on a boat and have not found that the liquid in the moat 'seeps' out into the base, despite the boat's occasinal rocking about. Rather, its condensation created in the base, making it a little wet at times. Never been a mess to wipe up - its plain water.
Second your thoughts about grilling - its a 'cooker' in my book. The plate does not get hot benough for grilling when the lid is off.
Klaus
FollowupID: 328365

Reply By: pricetec - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:08

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:08
I too have just aquired a cobb and am experimenting prior to going to the cape in aug/sept. Good quality beads only - do not use the self lighting ones. I tried a 3.5 Kg pork roast on sunday - it was too big even though it fitted in the oven ok. Pizza's went ok but the coals need to be lit properly ( 35 mins ). For steaks try preheating the plate with the lid on. I have cooked a small rolled beef which went well and then a damper afterwards. strangly enough I haven't been able to boil water on it yet. Keep experimenting and talk to Melbourne.

graham
AnswerID: 67718

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:00

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:00
Thanks for the response Graham,

A liitle reluctant to preheat with the lid on but I think that maybe the way to go. Cobb say don't leave the lid on with no food but that maybe a recommendation for after you have finished.
FollowupID: 328546

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:59

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:59
I'm always glad to have my curiousity finally satisfied about this new means of cooking.

We had just bought a Bedourie camp oven when the Cobb started to appear and we thought we should have waited.

Well we find the Bedourie completely idiot proof. Without any instructions to follow we (the complete camp cooking novices) successfully cooked Muffins, roasts and bread. Does a fantastic job.

The best part is you don't need heat beads, just old fashion wood. Ok, you might say that not everywhere has wood, your right, but plan ahead and carry some and its free.

The Bedourie has been easy to store and store otehr stuff in and its lighter than a traditional cast iron oven. Only draw back is I need gloves to get the lid off and a couple of star pickets to rest it over the fire pit.

Can't deal with anything that means I have to use instructions to operate, especially after a few ales.

Wizard
Darwin NT
AnswerID: 67733

Follow Up By: david - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:08

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:08
Just to make you feel bad have you ever tried a alloy camp Oven it uses less fuel and is even lighter
david
FollowupID: 329798

Sponsored Links