Tyres for 200 series Land Cruiser

Submitted: Friday, Sep 15, 2023 at 21:44
ThreadID: 146254 Views:2673 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just updated my family car from a 100 series wagon that has done 520k to a 200 series wagon.
We live in regional W.A so it goes without saying that we spend a lot of time on rubbish gravel roads (to be fair they have little or no gravel and are mostly washed out clay that turns to slop after 4 mm of rain.
My question is what have people found the best compromise between longevity, quietness , handling and ability to “get you home”.
For us is is not a luxury it can be the difference between life and death.
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nickb - Friday, Sep 15, 2023 at 22:47

Friday, Sep 15, 2023 at 22:47
I have found the Toyo AT2 to be a great allrounder. The Toyo AT3 are out now and look to be doing very well too.
Wildpeak AT3W and Maxxis AT 811 are also worth a look.
AnswerID: 644417

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Sep 15, 2023 at 22:54

Friday, Sep 15, 2023 at 22:54
I will second the Toyo AT2 had them by choice since I got the 200. Last week I got 6 new AT3’s, for the car and new camper. First impression is a little bit noiser on the tar but that is not what they are for anyway. We will report on our trips around.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924508

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 06:33

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 06:33
Hi Rimfire,

I also have TOYO AT2’s on my 200 Series, and have found that they wear well, but get noisier as they wear down. If you are looking for a bit more grip in muddier conditions, you could look at the TOYO Rugged Terrain (RT). It is a bit more open tread pattern than the AT, but not as chunky as a Mud Terrain. Obviously, it will be a bit noisier than an AT.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644418

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 07:49

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 07:49
Macca, with the Troopy, I would have loved to be able to hear the tyres.
But stick with the Toyo's. You will possibly find that as you get older, the tyres seem to run quieter. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924509

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 08:20

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 08:20
Hi rimfire

Over the years we have always used quality tyres and even then sorted out the better tyres of the bunch.

From my personal experience we had unreal experience from the Toyo Open Country A/T 2.

Brilliant in all conditions and late last year when we ungraded to a new Isuzu X Terrain the standard 265/60R18 looked like it could be a problem, as I wanted to fit LT tyres on it from new.

Going first to the Toyo site, unfortunately the A/T 2 were not in the standard size, but the newly released A/T 3 were available. Again these tyres are still made in Japan, higher load rating and just as quiet on the blacktop as the former A/T2’s. We were so impressed with the performance of these from new, I also purchased 3 new AT3’s for our camper.

When you look at the A/T3’s, their new tread pattern is more like a true AT tyre, but not noisey.

We have been using them now for over 10 months and they are brilliant and again far better than many other so called tyres out there.

Either way, you will never regret buying the Toyo as a premium quality tyre either the AT2 or the new AT3 in LT construction.

Best of luck but I am very biased towards Toyo.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644419

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 17:05

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 17:05
Ok..everyone has an opinion, so I may as well throw my 2c worth in.
I have had a few different makes of AT tyres..
The first lot I had were the cheap Kenda's..nothing wrong with them..I got about 70k out of them on a mixture of gravel and sealed..they wore very evenly..yes, rotation helps..but I found them solid in the wet, if you pushed them, they would loose a bit of grip.
I went to East Arnhemland with cheap Chinese AT's..these were called Hero's..yep weird name..but they did the job for what I needed as the budget was stretched to breaking point and these tyres were available. Firstly I tried them out on a quick trip when I went out to Birdsville and around western Queensland. I reckoned that if the tread was still on them after that trip..well off the East Arnhem. They lasted 70k, all on gravel and I had not one puncture..yes they were chipped on the side blocks and a couple of tread blocks were torn..but the shite I put these tyres through..dust, deep sand, bauxite roads, gibber rock tracks..these tyres coped an utter flogging, no rotations..just check the tyre pressures. There were blokes in 79 series who were getting 40k out of their Coopers, and here is me chugging around on cheap Chinese AT's in a Pajero, getting to every spot these Toyota 79's were heading too. When the set went to god, I tried to get some out of Darwin, but the importer had stopped bringing Hero AT tyres into Australia at the time.
Honestly, I don't know if they are still imported, but for the price..$170 a corner and getting over 70k out of them..90% all on the gravel..they were a bloody bargain!
So the budget wallet was a bit fatter and I asked a supply bloke who got tyres for the mine vehicles..without breaking a sweat, "KO2's"..was his reply..
These are expensive..no doubt about it..but after 2 years in East Arnhemland, then travelling around Outback SA and back home to NSW, these KO2's have done some work.
My first set from Arnhemland, had to be broken up at 90k, as a part of my exhaust came off on a 4wd trip, punctured the back rear tyre and I had a blow out. I still have the carcass of that tyre in the garden at home to remind me of my stupidity of not getting my exhaust system fixed when I was going too before the incident..as I thought.."she'll be right".
I run the KO2's on tarmac @38psi all round and when I'm towing the camper..about 45psi rear and about 42psi front..on the gravel..mid 30's..in the sand..start @ mid 20's and go down from there depending on texture and depth of sand.
I'm happy with the KO2's..but they are a bloody expensive buy..but with the mileage wear I'm getting and their overall handling characteristics on sealed, gravel and dirt tracts..they have worked out to be a relative good buy and for me have been a overall "Swiss Army knife" of AT tyres.
I like them...

AnswerID: 644421

Reply By: Richard M29 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 20:04

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 20:04
Toyo's AT2 for me also, on a Pathfinder and every previous car I had going back 10 years. Never got less then 120,000km out of them, very grippy wet or dry, loved them, would have put them on this car, but it is a 2wd, so found equivalent km HT's in Kumho's, another great tyre. Make sure you buy the Japanese made Toyo's other wise, the chinese made ones only get 60k km's.
AnswerID: 644422

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 22:25

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 22:25
We were running Maxis 910 for years but have just gone over to the Maxis Razor due to it'd better sidewall protection
AnswerID: 644424

Reply By: Member - rimfire - Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 22:51

Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 at 22:51
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like Toyo at3 might be the way to go. I have used Toyo open country m/t for serious bush work before and been super impressed, expensive but they have never let me down.
AnswerID: 644425

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Sunday, Sep 17, 2023 at 13:08

Sunday, Sep 17, 2023 at 13:08
Consider the relatively new Toyo Open Country RT as another option. It's the go to tyre for outback station folk according to the tyre place in Katherine where stock is always in short supply.

We fitted a set to our 200 back in April and then, heavily loaded, dragged our AOR Matrix 15000km from SA to WA via the GCR, Eastern Pilbara and back to Alice via the Kiwikurra road. From there to Katherine then out to Gove along the 750km of the East Arnhem Hwy and back again for the run back to Adelaide.

Trip contained over 8000km of bitumen and the balance on the black top all without any tyre issues at all.

In regard to your specific criteria; quietness, comparable to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers we were previously using, longevity, seem pretty good despite the really abrasive tracks in the Pilbara, handling, impressive and I thought the Nitto were very good, ability, I think my words above say from my view about the best tyre I have used in quite a while and we get through a set about very 18months.

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644431

Sponsored Links