ExploreOz Clunky app

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 17, 2023 at 21:30
ThreadID: 146273 Views:3307 Replies:8 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Well I have finally had it with this clunky app! It has always been difficult but now after the latest update it is impossible! I also wasted my money purchasing 2 years membership to gain nothing and now after updating to the latest version it just doesn't work. Is it because I didn't renew my membership so am being penalized? I am not interested sitting around fighting all the way trying to put future trip maps together only to lose them due to the many inherent failures. I have a friend who purchased at the same time, he has also had similar results . I don't want to have to do a university degree just to use this awful app! I will have to put this down to a very large mistake! Also a costly one!
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Sep 17, 2023 at 22:14

Sunday, Sep 17, 2023 at 22:14
Works perfectly for me on my Android phone, a Windows laptop, and on an Android head unit in my vehicle. In the car it has been running full time on 2 interstate trips with the only issue being my GPS antenna being poorly positioned up inside the dash, by me, and I had to get back into the dash to reposition it.

Each update has been seamless and only ever been improvements.

Have you taken up your issues through their helpdesk?

Might also be helpful if you were more specific, and also what is the device you are trying to use it on.
AnswerID: 644433

Reply By: John Baas - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 02:14

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 02:14
I don't use the app all that much because I'm a long time user of Ozi Ex, so not nearly an expert on the app (altho it's great for the places database) but I do wish to use this opportunity to recognize and award an excellent 'rants and dummy spits' effort, I say!
AnswerID: 644434

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 06:52

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 06:52
No offence intended Gil, but the majority of issues people seem to have with the Exploroz Traveller app are generally either a lack of understanding due to not reading the manual, or their device does not support the app.

Have you tried logging a request for assistance with the help desk. In most instances this generally results in a resolution to the problem.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644435

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 07:28

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 07:28
Gil

Dummy ejected

I have zero trouble with this excellent App.

Bet my left one, the problem is either you or device or both.

As Macca has suggested, nothing wrong with seeking advice.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644436

Reply By: Member - Stefan F2 - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 16:05

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 16:05
I've tried numerous navigation apps, and while EOT boasts great maps and points of interest, it remains one of the least user-friendly apps I've encountered. Even after two years, I still find myself referring to the manual for basic functions, especially when switching between different apps. The recent updates have been smooth, but I can't forget the problematic updates following the release of version 8. Due to these issues, I've lost trust in using EOT for track logging or any critical tasks.

It seems the EOT team might be experiencing "developer blindness" – being so immersed in their work that they miss out on spotting usability issues. Additionally, it feels like they're lacking in thorough testing before releasing updates, which has led to many of the problems I've faced.

I genuinely wish EOT would consider making their maps available for other apps like Memory Map For All, which is now my preferred choice. This could be a win-win, allowing them to focus on map sales without the hassle of app development.
AnswerID: 644439

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 18:53

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 18:53
Do you normally "Thank" your own posts here Stefan?
FollowupID: 924529

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 20:40

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 20:40
Stefan F2. I haven't found memory maps user friendly.
FollowupID: 924531

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 09:54

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 09:54
For my part, I find EOT and MM/HEMA to be complimentary. I don't like the way that EOT looses detail as you zoom out. I find it hard to use it for zoomed out views, and I don't trust all the tracks that it shows. MM/HEMA is better for the big picture and route selection, but the plethora of available maps and trying to select the best one can be a frustration. However when I need to zoom in and see fine detail then I find that MM/HEMA is often fairly useless, whereas EOT being vector based is invaluable, and I don't have to switch maps. It's certainly better for navigating to points of interest, and in areas not well served by MM/HEMA.

In commenting on ease of use, I think Stefan needs to declare his relationship with MM.
FollowupID: 924534

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:00

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:00
Briste what is my relationship with MemoryMaps? It's the same I had with EOT.

I did a paid Tutorial for EOT, I also did some paid consulting for MM pre-release.
I had a coupon code for EOT, I have a coupon code for MMFA.

MemoryMaps is also not perfect but I never have to consult the manual and I can't say the same for EOT not to mention that MMFA never let me down on a Trip and EOT has stopped working several times on trips.

I would agree that both maps are complementary EOT is useless for planing and overview as you also mentioned nothing is visible or recognisable if you zoom out the old Hema state maps for brilliant for that. EOT is good for close-ups even though sometimes tracks on EOT no longer exist. (I still rather have tracks on the maps that don't exist than the other way around). Yes as I said POI's in EOT are much better than in MMFA but I use Wiki Camps and have had no issues with the new version on my recent trip
FollowupID: 924540

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:02

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:02
Duncan2H keep calm, I assume fat fingers a phone and old style forum but good onya to making sure lol
FollowupID: 924541

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:04

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:04
@IvanTheTerrible

Yea also not perfect but way better than EOT. I never had to consult the manual for basic features like sharing waypoints or tracks with other apps while on the move for instance.
FollowupID: 924542

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 21:47

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 21:47
Stefan F2: "sharing waypoints or tracks with other apps while on the move" That's basic? An who does it. That's shit you do when you get home.
Unfortunately as soon as someone says they are "paid" they lose credibility when commenting on the subject.
FollowupID: 924545

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 22:53

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 22:53
In my experience the more powerful the application, the greater the need to refer to the documentation. EOT seems a much more powerful and flexible app than MM, and so it's not surprising that some use of the manual is required from time to time. That said, MM is not immune. I found route planning in MM klunky and not at all intuitive, to the point where I don't use it

When someone accepts money or services in relation to a product then they cease to be just a blogger or vlogger and become an influencer, no matter what protestations they make about their impartiality. It's important that such situations are clearly identified so that the reader can make up their own mind. That's why I asked. Thank you for your clarification.
FollowupID: 924546

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 07:10

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 07:10
Stefan reports "EOT is useless for planing" (not my spelling of planning).

Stefan probably hasn't fully realised the value of "ExplorOz Folders".. I plan multiple trips concurrently with "Folders".. squirreling away Places, Track Logs, and Treks and then further adding new Personal Places for proposed camping spots, things I want to look at that aren't yet Public Places. Further! I can do this on my PC with its full sized keyboard and multiple screens by using the Web App version of ExplorOz Traveller.. I can have all my browser tabs open for research and etc curate a whole trip with ease - and it all syncs to the two devices I run in my vehicle with ExplorOz Traveller on them when I open them up. As a trip planning tool this is SUPERB!

When I am actually on a trip I can turn off all the "noise" (the 1000s of public places etc) and just turn on a specific Trip Folder (as required) to deliver clarity - all my intended POIs, intersections, treks etc.. its a such a cool feature - I haven't seen this in any other App.

I took the time to download MM yesterday and spent an hour or so poking around. I found it unimpressive and basic.

ExplorOz is not without fault, I've taken the time to report 7-8 defects myself, every single one of them was explored by David and Michelle, discussed and resolved! Further I've made two suggestions for new functionality for the App - one suggestion resulted in the new "Measure" tool and one was rejected for very fair reasons... I've never had this level of enthusiastic support, issue exploration and resolution from another software vendor before, especially in this niche space.

Stefan has long had a very public axe to grind with ExplorOz - its at the point now of being tiresome, whiny, and predictable - petulant and churlish even. Give it up Stefan, enough already.
FollowupID: 924547

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 08:23

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 08:23
Briste, Memory Map for ALL and the older PC version have a great feature where you can display 2 maps simultaneously and individually change the map or scale.

For example in the HIgh Country I have one map showing the general area on say Hema High Country maps. The other screen is set to Vic topo 25K or Rooftop and zoomed in. Great for detail.

Nothing compares to that for off-road 4wding imho, and you can import any map you like, I have imported old 1800's maps of old gold towns.

Not only that, but it is easy to use and doesnt crash and lose track logs all the time. That was extremely disappointing to me, especially the response that it was my device or fault. ( I had 3 devices, all lost tracks much of the time).

FollowupID: 924549

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 09:16

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 09:16
Boobook Out of interest how much have these 1800 maps cost you? As all HEMA maps are quite expensive and some way overpriced.
FollowupID: 924550

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 10:23

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 10:23
Duncan2H's assessment of Stefan's EOT posts is spot on. Enough already.

@Boobook: I don't see a split screen option in my MM Android app, and I even read the manual. ;) Is Memory Maps for All a different app?

My Samsung Tab S6 allows me to have two apps on the screen in a split-screen arrangement. I quickly gave up on this. I found it to be too much of a distraction, and unnecessary. I am either trying to follow where I am in the bigger picture, or I'm trying to navigate the local region, but rarely both at the same time. So I switch to whichever app best suites the task at hand.
FollowupID: 924551

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 06:53

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 06:53
DickL

The maps are absolutely free. I get them from the State Library of Voctoria, then import them into Memory Map.

I get old town maps, specific maps ( like fire boundaries), A map showing the aboriginal land I am in, and I scan in paper maps like westprint and Rooftop. The cost to import is a one off fee of $50.

Also when I buy a map from MM it is a one-off fee. I own the map and it doesn't disappear after a couple of years. They are mine forever.

Also if I buy or import a map it and the software can be used unlimited across all platforms and devices I own.

FollowupID: 924561

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 07:35

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 07:35
@Boobook: I continue to use many of the maps I acquired from MemoryMaps a decade ago, particularly the Top 25k ones. They haven't undergone significant updates. The dual or trip screen feature is frequently utilized by me for planning and viewing different maps without altering the entire application.

@Briste: I present products as they are, both their strengths and weaknesses. I've never conducted a paid review. Even when I've received substantial products from companies, my feedback remains unbiased. For reference, you can view my recent review on the LiFePo4 batteries here: https://youtu.be/vRcSPuBob-I

The assumption that one can be influenced by a minor referral commission might be how you work, but it's not how I operate.

For clarity, I'm retired. My involvement with YouTube is a personal interest, not a source of income.

I'm in a bit of a bind. If I gloss over the issues and failures I've documented, many will rightfully be upset. But if I highlight the flaws, the die-hard supporters get riled up. As always, I'd rather ruffle the feathers of the die-hard supporters.
FollowupID: 924562

Follow Up By: 826 - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 23:44

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 23:44
I must say I never realised you could show multiple maps at once on MMFA so I played around and yes it’s true. See screenshot of my iPad. I have not added speed and other fields yet which can be added anywhere you like on the page. Thanks for that.

FollowupID: 924567

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 09:18

Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 09:18
@826 to be honest showing multipe maps at once becomes a bit cluttered on a smaller screen but I use the function where I can have different screens with different maps and resolutions all within MMFA. It's a brilliant feature I use constantly one screen is closed in on a topo, one screen is on a larger scale map for overview and one screen is often way ahead for trip planing ahead on an entirely different map. Priceless feature in my book
FollowupID: 924569

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 06:09

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 06:09
826, you can also put the maps screen in screen. I use a smaller "general area" map inside a larger, more detailed one for local navigation.

Both screens can track the location, or you can "swipe" them to unlock their tracking of the GPS so you can look ahead on the map for planning on the go.

It has 3 key features that make it stand out.
1)I own the maps, and it costs me nothing to have multiple platforms.
2)Dual maps
3)It is open, and I can import and own any map I choose.

FollowupID: 924592

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 06:37

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 06:37
Briste, sorry I missed part of your question before.

Yes MMfA is a new app and different to Memory Map for Android.

And Miles better.

It is still free, Install it then import the maps from the MM app.

I have tried lots of mapping programs, Hema, Ozi, EO, and they are all a generation or two behind in friendliness, bugs and features IMHO.

Plus you get to own the maps you buy, not just rent them for 1 or 2 years. I personally hate that. Some of my bought maps go back to 2006

FollowupID: 924593

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 22:13

Monday, Sep 18, 2023 at 22:13
You have mentioned..."updating to the latest version, it just doesn't work."..it would NOT be because you have not renewed your membership.
There is no detail on the mobile device nor the Operating system used, so having a "punt" on "it just doesn't work"..means when you open ie "Tap" on the "Traveller Icon" on the desktop of your particular mobile device..the Traveller map does not appear...means: The Operating System (OS) of your mobile device at present time has not the capacity (grunt) to run the Traveller Application..this may mean that the OS may need to be updated..ie higher spec..but again this will depend on your mobile device if it has the capability to undertake this process.
So the best bet is to ring or send an email to the help desk..giving them details on the type mobile device you are using and its' Operating System..ie Windows/iOS/Android and hopefully you will get your issue sorted.

AnswerID: 644441

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 00:07

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 00:07
Gil Y, if you are can't cope with this app, I would hope you aren't using the Wikicamps app after the recent update failures and issues they have had
AnswerID: 644442

Follow Up By: Member - Stefan F2 - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:06

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 17:06
I also heard that seems like they sorted the issue though I just returned from a trip and had no issues with Wiki Camps. Wiki camps cost 8$ or so from memory not $100 per year
FollowupID: 924543

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 19:28

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2023 at 19:28
Stefan

$100 per year. Mmmm, you’ve confused me.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924544

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 20:17

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 20:17
Stefans the cat on the hot tin roof

Hmm $100.p/year not EO traveller ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 924558

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 20:49

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 20:49
Not going to read 22 replies
Just saying … been on the road for four and a bit weeks.
Perth to Alice Springs via the Great Central then down to the Flinders Ranges for eight days.
Heading home across the Eyre Highway.
Not once has the Exploreoz app failed to show me on my iPad where I was and what was around me.
We actually found a cave near Arkaroola which was not marked on the map being used by a fellow traveller who earlier sneered a bit at Exploreoz.
I must be really really lucky to have no problems.
Or maybe …

Cheers

AnswerID: 644453

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 13:26

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 13:26
Yes Rocco, that was pretty much our latest trip experience as well.
Went to north QLD, across the gulf, Hells Gate roadhouse, Borroloola, Roper River, Katherine, Buchanan Hwy, Tablelands Hwy, Birdsville and back home to the Gold Coast.
The Traveller and EOTopo maps worked brilliantly, able to really zoom in when we wanted to, ample info about countryside and features and names, even towns had quite sufficient detail of all that we required.
Had some HEMA maps but didn't need or use them.
Only thing I mucked up was the saving of a small section of the trip .... still not sure how I messed it up, but the missing section is on one of the saved records ........ I was using both an iPad and an iPhone ....... probably shouldn't !!
Has certainly worked brilliantly for me.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924566

Sponsored Links