Draft Feedback Request

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 11:56
ThreadID: 146280 Views:1520 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've been putting together a "Quick Start Guide" for new Traveller app users and would like some feedback. This has been posted to the Facebook group already but I know there's a lot of app users that prefer the Forum to Facebook so reposting here so I can reach as many people as possible and get some responses.

Is it too long, too much? Or is anything missing? Just let me know so I can finalise and publish the file into the app documentation.

Cheers Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:30

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:30
Its a good effort Michelle.. I like it. A few minor points.

- I think full screenshots would work better - rather than snipping corners/tops/bottom out to use independently.. the full screenshot gives valuable context. This may require that the quickstart guide has more pages - I am ok with that personally. This would be particularly valuable on the "App Layout Page".. the page may be confusing for new users as you've snipped out 3 different parts of the screen.. a single screenshot would work well here.

- Some of the less important functions could be left off to declutter things a little - eg Export Positions on page 2.

- For "My Folders" I'd add one called something like "July Cape York Trip!" to demonstrate their value in trip planning.

- Page 3 Data Menu.. the first paragraph would read better as

"Tapping the 'Magnifying Glass Icon' opens the Data Menu on the right hand side of the screen. The Data menu provides access to all of the ExplorOz data such as Places, Treks, Track Logs and Addresses as well as any personal data you've created"

- Page 4.. You seem to interchangeably use the terms "measure tool" and "ruler". I would pick one and stick with it... if you choose "Measure Tool".. just use the word "Ruler" to describe the icon that activates it. You've also used the word "Active" instead of "Activate". You're pretty much there with "Measure Tool" term actually.. if you change "Active the Ruler" to "Activate the Measure Tool" and "As you tap, the ruler will drop a black dot" to "As you tap the Measure Tool will drop a black dot" you'd be about done..

- Some of your Youtube videos are great.. maybe the last page could be a list of hyperlinks to the really useful ones (or even hyperlinks from each page at the relevant places)
AnswerID: 644449

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 15:16

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 15:16
Thanks Duncan,
Yeah its a mess isn't. I think I need to revisit this idea. Just trying to find a quick solution for those that baulk at the idea of a "Manual".

If we had a team of expert designers and developers obviously we would have a fancy tutorial that incorporated all this during the app launch - but again, I've looked at lots of apps to see how they do it, but to make them user-friendly and look simple, they are so dumbed down that they are useless and you end up swiping through and not really absorbing anything and then you're on your own. Most then link to their YouTube tutorials. I find YT personally so laborious to get basic instructions you have to wade through advertisements in your face that you can't skip until you've accepted 10 seconds or whatever. It's not the friendliest solution in my view and a built in User Manual and/or Quick Start Guide is a good option.

This is actually not the first QSG we've done. The app had one a few years ago but it all become too hard to keep on top of multiple documents so I amalgamated back to one User Manual.

Cheers Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924554

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 15:43

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 15:43
I think the Quick Guide idea is very useful. When travelling, just a quick reminder would be really helpful, and the full manual is always there as a back-up.
I think you are quite close with your proposal, and with some of the suggested "improvements".
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644450

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 19:09

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 at 19:09
Tough gig Michelle!

I wonder if a one page doco would be any use.. one screenshot of the app in the centre and a whole lot of balloons around the outside describing stuff.

I am sure you have kicked around so many ideas that you dont need yet more.. I think your QuickStart guide has merit for sure.. you've made a good start, less is more, full screenshots are superior.

AnswerID: 644451

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 09:39

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 09:39
Duncan
People are using the App on all different devices from Mobiles to Desktop Computers, I don't think a single shot with balloons will be viable on a mobile. Just my thoughts.
FollowupID: 924564

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 21:41

Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 at 21:41
Hello Michelle.
Perhaps for starting people a directive on how to get a PIN placed on the map.
I tried when I downloaded all the maps and the PIN icon never goes green or whatever colour it has to change to. I thought it would work immediately and allow me to lock a pin in place for later reference or navigating to. Easy for those who grew with the system though and adapted to any changes. For a newcomer, everything is a change and lots of them.
I have now never placed a pin and will have to read the requirements to get a PIN to be able to be used. Very basic I thought. I can set a pin on all the other GPS devices I have. If it was initially easy it would be good and instantly useful.

I sort of see what George, above is saying. Trying to read, remember and refer back to the map and re read the manual isn't intuitive for me either. I can remember vehicle systems workshop manuals context/concepts, but mapping manuals are quite different. My son is a computer system network engineer and we think very differently to each other, I can't see what he sees and he can't see what I see. Just different fields, and programming people think computing way and not as many others perceive things. You are trying to cater for the non computer brain and they are different. The feed back request is a good idea.

Cheers
RMD
AnswerID: 644461

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 00:31

Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 00:31
Hi RMD thanks for your response.
The Quick Start Guide is not designed to cover Troubleshooting. The example of the PIN not working for you is not relevant for the QSG actually because if a new user has followed the initial app setup the PIN just works instantly.

If it’s not working for your app setup isn’t complete so that’s something you would contact Support for. I’d be happy to talk you through the fix for that which will take 5 mins on a phone call or a short email via the Help Desk.
Cheers michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924568

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 21:55

Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 21:55
In the App Layout you say "At the bottom of the Map Screen is the Zoom & GPS Lock tools and the Speed Panel floats on the map." but dont explain what is what and what each one does. A brief description of each may help.
AnswerID: 644468

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 20:54

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 20:54
Thank you to those that have been interested in this.

I have had a few supporters assist me get to what is now Version 3 of this draft.
I will upload it here for anyone wishing to view the current draft and feel welcome to add any further comments if you wish.

We appreciate your assistance. I have too much time on my hands - so thought I'd get this done before we head off on our next trip. I keep hearing how reluctant most people are to open something called "Manual"!!! ;) but there's a lot of app features that I think people don't know about. So hopefully this will inspire some people to take a look at the documentation

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644502

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 15:55

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 15:55
The latest version of the "Quick Start Guide" is nice and it's good that you are developing it
A comment if I may..
Myself like many on this forum use the Traveller App somewhat and so we are familiar with it and so my comment in regards what to chop, change, extend or shrink in the Quick Guide..is based principally on my familiarisation in using the app..
This I think is not taking the Quick Guide into the direction of principally what it is used for.
A Quick Guide..ie help guide.. is principally for a first time user to look at when they are using a particular app for the very first time.
It is a fine balancing act of imparting information to a first time user so:
1/. They get started using the App.
2/. Not get frustrated or confused in overly reading all those directions and loose interest in the App.
3/. Imparting confidence for them to continue using the app but also to delve more into the app's details to get more out of it. ( read the full manual).
So with that..it maybe best to get a person..who knows' Sweet...F...All about the Traveller App..get them to open it and just sit back and just "observe" their interactions with the app..ask questions to them and take notes.

AnswerID: 644505

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 20:45

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 20:45
Thank you Peter,
You're right of course! It is a fine balancing act, I would like to see it be 2 pages and I can do that if I leave out the whole step by step "how to" create navigation plans. It would please me if I can condense it. So with this feedback in mind, I'm going to have another crack at removing all the step by step. I'll move that to the user manual as an updated layout so its not wasted.
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, it was helpful.
Cheers Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924615

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 21:18

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 21:18
To ensure completion of this discussion and to thank those that have encouraged me to simplify - here is what I believe is the final version. To be rolled out next week.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644530

Sponsored Links