Introduction and seeking validation! ??

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 11:57
ThreadID: 146294 Views:1739 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Been lurking on these forums for a while as the idea of a big trip has grown in my mind! And things seem to be moving ahead so thought it was time to make it official and join the community.

And obviously what I am looking for most is some strangers online to validate the large amounts of money I am about to spend buying a vehicle and van for our adventure!

For reference we are travelling as a trio - myself and two daughters under 10. They love a good camp and I've always wanted to travel Australia more so the seed was planted. Their mum (seperated) has signed off on a couple of 3-4 month trips so we figure once north and once south - conveniently we start from the QLD/NSW border!

I am figuring this is all going to cost a couple of extra years at work instead of an early retirement - so anyone who done big trips with the kids in tow please tell me it was a priceless experience!?? Then I can spend without regret!

Many thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:02

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:02
Hi Tumby Tourers
Anything you do with the kids is priceless. The only thing is that they have to be front and centre of decisions and activities. If they are involved, they will have a ball, and so will you.

Well worth the time and expense, which will seem minuscule as the years go by, but the memories linger.
Do it.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644476

Follow Up By: TumbyTourers - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:16

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:16
All I needed to hear. Was never going to take a lot of convincing!

They are already planning the trip - part of the deal is they research destinations etc. I'm just the driver (with suggestions and gentle guiding hand)
FollowupID: 924589

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:27

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:27
I will echo that sentiment.
Camping with our children has probably been the best decision we made. The memories are priceless and our adult kids still talk about those days and revisit the spots themselves
FollowupID: 924590

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:41

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 13:41
Hi Tumbies
We are in our eighties and worked till mid sixties.
I camped with my father since I was sixteen, all over the country.
Married at 26 and we have been camping together since.
We have had various camper trailers and the one we now have is comfortable and easy to handle.
Our three kids are in their fifties and have been camping and touring Australia all thier lives. One is a five starer and does not go camping. The other two have thier own camper trailers and we all meet somewhere and watch the sun set with a red in hand.
It has been a priceless experience, even my grandchildren can speak with authority about things they have seen and done in this great country of ours.
There is nowhere else on the planet you can enjoy yourself as much as we can in Australia.
Just do it.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644478

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 19:19

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 19:19
Hi Tumby Tourers

I totally agree with all the other replies.
We have 4 adult married kids and 12 grand kids. Love them all and go camping with them when ever possible.
I think it was our youngest daughter that we took camping when she was only five days old. Everything we did in life included the kids. Our youngest boy was only two when we moved onto a yacht to live for a few years. So never too young, never too old.
The thing is those daughters of yours will be all grown up way quicker than you could ever imagine and will be off establishing their own lives which may or may not include you as much as you would like so if you can do it then I would say do it. As for how good an experience it will be for the three of you is largely what you make of it. Include them in the decisions but don't over burden them at that age.
I remember trips with my parents when I was less than ten, great memories.
Go for it and make great memories.

I wish you and your girls all the best.
Roy G.
AnswerID: 644481

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:19

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:19
We had a great time on a 10 week trip with our kids. I'd suggest matching your travel plans carefully with the usual weather - we swam in almost every gorge along the Gibb River Rd. Our friends who did it later in the year thought it was too hot and dry - totally different experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644483

Reply By: Member - Moya - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:30

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:30
Do it!
Do it!
Do it!
Do it!
Do it!

We are 1.5 years into our trip with 2 kids and it is the best.

I know I will probably need to work until I am 90 after it but I have met so many people that are well on in years who regret not doing it with their kids when they were young.

Think of it as an investment not a cost.

There are loads of families on the road now so the kids make great friends and the time travelling with your kids is invaluable.

See you on the road soon hey!
AnswerID: 644484

Reply By: TumbyTourers - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 09:02

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 09:02
Thanks for the replies - confirmation bias in full swing, and exactly what I needed!

Inspecting vehicle choice number 1 tomorrow - budget is already out the window!

Lets Go!
AnswerID: 644487

Sponsored Links