Caravan camping motohome show

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 12:38
ThreadID: 146295 Views:2378 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I went to the Sunshine Coast Kawana show yesterday mega people and thousands of cars parked. Seemed people are chasing a dream of some kind. None of the well known reputable brands there but plenty of glossy caravans and so called deals. Bit of a snake pit I felt. The one small thing I was going to buy some cups were double the price of online and they refused to come down saying they can’t compete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 17:42

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 17:42
Rossy
I presume you were allowed entry for free, because if not, you are paying a fee just to have the pleasure of being able to purchase from those sellers. Because the exhibitors pay to be there, it should be free for the people they want to sell goods to. Most caravan dealers don't charge for you to visit their premises and inspect vans end gear.

Same here in the state of destruction, VIC.
AnswerID: 644480

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:39

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:39
Pay $12 entry, $10 parking (in a normally free parking area).
Only to find out you can buy a $150,000 van that you could not legally tow with anything other than a truck. So many bells and whistles including big heavy lug tyres to "improve traction". They must have concealed drive mechanisms on the van wheels.

Actually the 2500kg fully automatic camper trailers got me. My 1980 original Albany camper is still going strong and well used today still original canvass. Only 5 minute set up and nothing to go wrong is the real plus that our 3rd generation are now using.

Neil
AnswerID: 644488

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 28, 2023 at 18:10

Thursday, Sep 28, 2023 at 18:10
Neil.
A while ago some talk mentioned large lug tyres on some off-road hybrid vans. People were saying they are not needed and normal tread ok. Maybe ok for many situations, BUT, some seem to forget the vans referred to were for off road usage. If on a slippery slope, sideways or just plain downhill, the "normal highway tyres won't be of much use and simply skate to the lowest point via gravity control. Maybe sometimes luggy tyres are desirable to have on your van and possibly why the maker won't change them to highway tyres.
FollowupID: 924621

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 09:00

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 09:00
Don't the 'off road' type tyre have more robust construction, especially with the side walls?
FollowupID: 924635

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 07:39

Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 07:39
Hi Banjo,

I guess peoples understanding of what an “Off Road” tyre is can be different. There are so called All Terrain tyres that are not a “Light Truck” construction. Whilst these can be called an “Off Road” tyre, they do not necessarily have the stronger side wall construction that a Light Truck tyre has.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924648

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 15:34

Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 15:34
Macca
The sidewalls aren't the issue, it is the grip in muddy adverse conditions which the bigger lug tyre has an advantage and may quite possibly be the factor which ensures the vans survival.
I have slid, mostly with little control, down hill in the high country on slippery leafy inclines. All terrain not much chop at all. Ok for everything else though.
FollowupID: 924651

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 07:40

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 07:40
Rossy, tongue in cheek, but the first 2 words.....I Went....seems you were part of the mega people chasing a dream...you wont find online prices at a van show, and as others have stated, its just another moneymaking project, everyone gets to tax writeoff their expenses, in the advertising column.
AnswerID: 644493

Follow Up By: rossy - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 09:38

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 09:38
I haven’t been to such a show in years as I live remote in the NT but I thought I’d have a look.
I do follow site’s and forums reviews on all sorts of things and have lived experience having previously had 2 well known campers which didn’t stand up to the test.
My observations are that it’s a crazy scene out there now with multitudes combing overcrowded free camping areas driving around and around Australia sorting out manufactures issues as their pawns. I was shocked to witness how crowded SE QLD is now on my recent visit to the Sunshine Coast last week after some years away
FollowupID: 924595

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:50

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:50
SE Queensland ....... it's a mega-city basically encompassing the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich and the Gold Coast.
Lived on the Gold Coast almost all of my life , from when it used to be just a very narrow strip along the coast.
We love getting out to the West, where we have just been. Lovely !!!!
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924602

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 10:29

Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 10:29
"Ain't no use a waking if your dreaming's done"
Pigram Brothers.
AnswerID: 644533

Sponsored Links