Aux fuel - disco

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:23
ThreadID: 14632 Views:1519 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Want to fit for extra range on current model disco. Has anyone done this and how much? Is it worth it or is there another solution?

thks
JC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:19
Hello..............

Anybody out there................

Uhoooooo............................

There's gotta be another disco owner out there somewhere who has been crazy enough to take it far enough to need an aux tank...........
Maybe not.

:)

AnswerID: 67680

Follow Up By: Rossco100series - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 15:15

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 15:15
John there is a replacement tank of 133lt's a guy who I work with is getting his done through ARB in Geelong Vic. John I'm currently looking at buy a disco td5 manual like yours what do your think about the vehicle good / bad ??????. And do you know off any way to turn off the stupid traction control crap that in them.

Rossco
FollowupID: 328806

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:25

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:25
Friends of mine are on to their third diesel Disco.......

Has to be something wrong with those people. They have had heaps of problems and yet they keep going back!

Another mate had one from new about three years ago and his mechanic told him he was better off selling it than keeping on paying for the repairs as LR wouldn't fix some of them under warranty. Only 18months old! He also has had two landrovers since then.

Madness I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although getting back to your question. I would think your only option would be a long range or 2nd tank (whichever is done for your model) or carrying jerry cans either in the cabin, on the roofrack or on a holder on the back door.

Long range or 2nd tank is safest and easiest way but they are SO expensive. I have a ute so I carry heaps of jerry cans. Takes up space but unbelievably cheaper. Long range tank on my Rodeo is about $800 + fitting. A lot of money for the equivilent of three jerry cans!

Utemad
AnswerID: 67723

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:35

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:35
it's because they are a very nice car to drive...so we put up with the niggly problems...
FollowupID: 328579

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 14:48

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 14:48
If you drive a Landrover why are you called Pathfinder?

Split personality :-)

Utemad
FollowupID: 328582

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:13

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:13
thks utemad
will prob go the jerries
btw: 28,000 on the clock and no probs with this model except typical ABS compromises like most modern 4bys.
Landrovers just have a certain feel, i driven mates toyos & patrols etc and always want the disco back.

JC
:)
FollowupID: 328627

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:34

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:34
Jerries are certainly the cheaper option.

I guess you just get used to the quirks of your own vehicle. People wonder how I can live with my ute in regards to the 1 tonne springs in the back. But I just say that I like it that way. I drive softer sprung vehicles for work but I like the way my Rodeo handles with its stiff springs. I don't like wallowing or body roll and the Rodeo certainly doesn't do that lol.

Like you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Utemad
FollowupID: 328635

Reply By: Disco200Tdi - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:28

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:28
Gi day John,

I have a series 1 disco with sill tanks (50 litre each) from 4wd systems in SA. That gives the car about 180 litre carrying capacity. They are the biggest I colud find and hang about 1" below the chassis rails. The system uses a small pump to transfer fuel to the original tank. I paid about 1K 8 years ago and they are still going stong.

I checked there website and it seems they only do a replacment tank for the series 2.

You colud also try Long Range Automotive.

HTH

John D - '93 200 Tdi disco
AnswerID: 67724

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:17

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:17
John D
would love that capacity.
the series II replacement tank is only 65ltr and too expensive
gives me the sh..ts.

thks for the help
John C
FollowupID: 328629

Reply By: Siegucci - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 19:31
Hello John
I fitted several long range tanks and also auxiliary fuel tanks to Disco II's.
It's not that big a job. You have to decide if you want to spend big money for a bit more fuel, the Disco's genuine fuel tank takes 95L, on which you should be able to travel nearly 1000km. (Td5 manual)
The fitting of an auxiliary or long range tank on a Disco II could cause you a few problems. I assume your Disco is a Td5. If you fit a long range tank, the tank will be your lowest point underneath the car. Heavy duty offroading will therefor be restricted. Also keep in mind that the Td5 Disco's have a very unique fuel system with a dual stage fuel pump fitted inside the tank. The pump is fitted trough an opening on top of the fuel tank and sealed with a rubber seal. Most of the long range tanks are build higher around the top of the pump which means the fuel level is above the seal. The gravity of the fuel above the seal could cause the seal to leak. The same goes for auxiliary tanks because they sit inside your RHR mudguard between the filler neck and the tank. With one specific brand of long range tanks I also experienced that the customers could not use the whole amount of fuel because the pump did not reach to the very bottom of the tank.
Make shure you get heeps of informations befor you buy.
Hope this help...
Go Land Rovers !!
AnswerID: 67795

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:07

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 21:07
thks for the reply Siegucci
FollowupID: 328625

Sponsored Links