Goulburn to Nowra towing caravan via Nerriga v/s Kangaroo Valley.

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 10:38
ThreadID: 146339 Views:1863 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I would appreciate some up to date information on the road conditions from Goulburn to Nowra via Nerrriga. Will be towing a 19 ft caravan. I have on a previous occasion towed Nowra to Goulburn via Kangaroo Valley & would like to compare the two trips. Would be great if someone who has towed on this Rd could give me their opinion.
Cheers Allan .
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 11:31

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 11:31
Kangaroo valley is more picturesque but involves 3 steep (5km) inclines 2 down, 1 up to traverse. There is a van park at Kangaroo valley or camping at bendeela.
Nerriga rd via windellima is less picturesque, but only has 1 short (1km) up and 1 short down, so is alot easier a drive. There is some free river camping at charleyong if you chose to drive via Braidwood.
Road conditions goulb to Nowra via nerriga are alot better these days, there is a new bridge over the shoalhaven at oallens crossing, and a new bridge over the mongarlow river too, so the nerriga road is a blacktop highway now.
AnswerID: 644548

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 15:54

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 15:54
I don't have any preference when it comes to choosing which to use. You will get a much straighter run via Kangaroo Valley. However, I don't mind the hills through the valley. I would suggest you use the Nerriga road as it is new country to you.

As an aside, I started using the Nerriga road 50 years ago as it was the fastest trip when running solo from Jervis Bay to Canberra. It was a good gravel road back then but I did not tow over that route because the road was narrow and because of the gravel surface. However, since then the road has been widened and sealed right through. That route is now my favoured route with a caravan.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644549

Reply By: Member - Emac - Saturday, Oct 07, 2023 at 16:36

Saturday, Oct 07, 2023 at 16:36
I have done this many times towing a 19ft zone and it is an easy and pretty drive much easier than kangaroo valley as you don’t have to wind down off the off the mountain you just have to be aware of a low bridge just out of Goulburn there are a lot a/c units on the side of the road under the bridge, go the alternative route have a great trip you will enjoy way

Regards Evan
AnswerID: 644571

Reply By: Member - Peter C29 - Monday, Oct 23, 2023 at 16:38

Monday, Oct 23, 2023 at 16:38
Cambrewarra Mtn road is single lane with stop/go lights at 10 min intervals for the foreseeable future.Nerriga to Goulburn has some bad sections since the heavy rains in the last year, Ok if driving to conditions, we use this route regularly towing a 2.8t caravan.
Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 644637

Sponsored Links