Cape Yorke

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 03, 2023 at 14:25
ThreadID: 146342 Views:1118 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In 1985 my wife and young boys along with my brothers Family were lucky enough to be able to drive and Cape Yorke Tele track. From then on it was always a bucket list to redo the track with my boys on motor bikes when they were old enough. 38 Years later in June/ July 2023 the dream come true but this time we had technology to take along and EXPLOROZ Maps were unbelievable it allowed us to explore areas we never believe existed. Using the bikes as forward scouts and then following up with the detailed EXPLOROZ maps made the trip a real experience / adventure. Let me say the trip back in 1985 was we thought a real challenge BUT compared to the Tele Track we did this year 2023 back then was like a highway. The trip sparked more adventures in the future and EXPLOROZ will be there with us.
Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 08:17

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 08:17
I reckon the Cape is a place of dreams.

We arrived in Australia in '87, & a couple of years later bought a house to do up & sell, with a view to making enough to fund a 12 month + trip with our then 3 year old son. We bought a Southern Cross tent & intended getting a used Troopy (?FJ40). The plan failed when the collapse of the Pyramid Building society just a week before we were to sell the finished house saw house prices almost instantly fall by the amount we were expecting to make.

BUT we did still have Ron Moon's guide book to Cape York & it remained a dream which never went away.

Fast forward to 2020, & our dream became a reality. Not quite the same adventure as it would have been all those years back, probably just as well as we were no longer quite so young & fit, but the adventurous spirit had remained.

Our plan for the Cape was once again thwarted, this time by Covid, when the Cape was closed to tourists, but we were already in FNQ & found a way of staying up there in readiness for a Cape adventure, rather than returning home to Victoria.

Our plan was to do the usual trip up the Cape to the tip, taking the Old Coach Road & the Old Telegraph Track, but with a view to remaining on the Cape for a wet season if we could find a way to get a roof over our heads.

As it turned out we remained up there for over two year & two wet seasons & loved it. We think that health permitting the Cape hasn't seen the last of us yet, & there are still areas of it we want to explore.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644551

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 15:38

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 15:38
I was lucky enough to ride the tele,track in 83 on a motorbike with my girlfriend on the back the 1st wk Acher Rvr roadhouse opened great trip . oops forgot to mention we had a 2wd f100 with us
Mechpete
AnswerID: 644555

Sponsored Links