Hay River Track

Hi Folks,
Planning to drive the Hay River Track, north to south, in winter of 2024. The ExploreOz app has helped tremendously. For anybody who has done it, I'm trying to gauge the pace at which you would realistically be driving the track (assuming normal conditions)? I've set aside 4 days (3 nights) averaging 30km/h.

Also, does anybody know if you can drive the road in the photo below, connecting the Plenty H'way and Batton Hill camp? It's about 4km west of Arthur River campsites. HEMA says it's a private road but ExploreOz suggests it. I can't find a name for the road so assume it is a private road. I'd ideally like to drive it as I'll be coming from Boulia.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 11:18

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 11:18
G/day JA1. The track is a good scenic route to take and easily followed. In the year we did it we had the diversion at Eyre Creek (we travelled south to north). If coming in from the north via the Plenty Hwy, there is a sign directing you to Batton Camp so hard to miss. The track from the intersection to Batton Camp was horribly corrugated, may have been graded when you do it. When we got to Batton Camp the owners where no where in sight so we continued on instead of camping there.

Overall, the biggest annoyance if you could call it that was the whoopsie doos in the otherwise track, which stopped you getting up any speed. Your estimate of 30km/hr is pretty close to the mark.

In the year we did it the areas around the Hay river river course was like being in a garden it was that green, and small birds flitted here and there constantly. Water is available at Dingo Well/Bore and we saw 2 beautiful dingoes near here.

Lake Caroline is a nice diversion and camping through this section is plentiful.

We really enjoyed the trip and would do it again.

Enjoy.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644552

Follow Up By: JA1 - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 11:34

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 11:34
Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the info - very helpful. I had heard Batton Hill camp was no longer running (due to the impact of COVID apparently). I'm not overly concerned about the pace of the track but it's obviously handy to know for planning purposes. Thank you for the water info too - great to know. From what I've read and watched, it certainly appears to be the picturesque track of the Simpson - we can't wait!

Cheers!
FollowupID: 924691

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 15:34

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2023 at 15:34
3 ngts camping will be plenty an not rushing it
Cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 644553

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 15:56

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 15:56
Here's the link to the permit system operated by the CLC https://www.clc.org.au/permits/#apply-for-entry-permit. That page also has some contact numbers and other stuff.

We were the second group to travel that track way back when Lindsay Bookie was still the TO and Joe Fleming his offsider was organising stuff and helping to get it all going properly. Having travelled NS and SN it can be a pretty trip but if there's no track maintenance been done the bush pin striping can be pretty horrific as the scrub can and does grow back over the worn tracks after decent rains.

You will need to carry enough fuel to get you from Jervois Station to Birdsville/Mungaranie/Mt Dare.

There was plenty to see around Baton Hill but that was some time back and if it has been wet the track out to Lake Caroline is very soft

Enjoy the journey

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644567

Follow Up By: JA1 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 21:40

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 21:40
Thanks for the input Rob. Will have close to 200L diesel and already have a few bush pinstripes much to the dislike of my wife ??
FollowupID: 924701

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 10:59

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 10:59
Hi JA1,
When I travelled north on the Hay River Track a few years back, I asked Jol Fleming about using the track you refer to when continuing to Boulia. He told me quite abruptly that I could not as it was a private road and that I must exit via the continuing Hay River track westward to the Plenty Rd junction near Jervois Station.

It was not marked as "private" on a map I had but I chose not to argue with Jol Fleming. I seem to remember StephenL telling me that it was a station track and permission could be obtained from the station but I have no details. Perhaps Stephen may see this and comment?

Other than that, I would say that the Hay River Track is one of the best drives I have made. A bit twisty through the dry river bed in places and a few soft sandy spots but no problem for the Troopy. 3 days travel for us. Somewhat dissapointing at Batton Hill campground and dealings with Jol Fleming not good but I don't think he is involved anymore.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644569

Follow Up By: JA1 - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 17:22

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 17:22
Thanks Allan,
I had planned to go along the track from Jervois but thought I’d try to see if this other track is usable. I can’t wait to drive the track and am not concerned about the state of Battin Hill camp. Thanks for the info, Cheers!
FollowupID: 924709

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 18:13

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 18:13
Hi Allan

You are 100% correct and the said land in question is not , or was not then Aboriginal land but part of Tarlton Downs who actually own the land that Goyders Pillar is located on.

From memory Lindsay used to charge $50 per person to visit this special feature and the money went straight into his pocket and Tarlton Downs never ever received a red cent or even gave them permission to go there, so go figure.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924710

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 18:55

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 18:55
Thanks Stephen,
I thought that was the case. The map below is copied from a larger section on the CLC website and clearly shows the Aboriginal land coloured grey. I added the red notations.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924711

Follow Up By: JA1 - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 22:51

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 22:51
Thanks Gents, very interesting. I’ll have to look into it further and see where things are at now.
FollowupID: 924712

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:52

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:52
I drove it solo three weeks ago. It is my new favorite drive in the desert, much more going on than a standard crossing. I have heard from a number of sources that the T.O.'s intend to close it again - not sure how accurate that is.
When you book, you'll be put in touch with Lester Hamiton at Batton Hill. He couldn't have been more helpful and sent me some extra links about track history and running notes etc.
As above, I asked at Tobermorey about the 'shortcut' from QLD too but got similar info, so it was on to Jervois and then 80 KM of character forming corrugations which found a few weak points in my canopy, draw slides and fridge slide - my fault entirely.
We accidentally scored that heatwave which saw up to 43 deg one day, so lazing about wasn't really an option. We got it done in a few cruisey if not a little long, days. We didn't see another soul until the QAA - except a guided tagalong tour who not so kindly closed the bloody gate at Batton Hill while we were waiting for them to faff about and get their brood of not so intrepids through same gate....
AnswerID: 644623

Follow Up By: JA1 - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2023 at 12:39

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2023 at 12:39
Thanks for the feedback Gbc! It's proving hard to find people who have driven it recently (which is a good thing in my opinion). I'll hopefully be dealing with Lester then and look forward to those character forming corrugations haha. Hopefully we don't encounter the 43 deg days though - wow.
FollowupID: 924761

Sponsored Links