Closure - S.A Conservation Parks

On the weekend I attempted to visit Pandappa Conservation Park (just east of Terowie). I've been to this park 6-7 times over the past 20 years.

The park has now been locked up, there is no public access.

A call to the Dept of Environment and Water has elicited that it was closed due to firewood thefts. I find this reason only semi-believable given the nature of the vegetation and the park location. Even if it were true it appears that DEW have jumped to the thermonuclear option of permanently closing the park to public access prior to any other enforcement actions.

The Ranger I spoke to also pointed out there were no facilities in the park and it was therefore also closed to camping for this reason, despite it having been accessible for camping since the mid 1970s and park signage being very suggestive that camping was welcome (information about when fires can be used for example). I was further informed that if I chose to join a Working Bee with a volunteer organisation that I might be able to get in to the park - thanks, but no thanks - I already dedicate my time to other conservation activities.

The only published management plan for this park specifically references camping and vehicular access (1994 Management Plan.)

The closure of this park smacks of a small group of jumped up public servants acting well beyond their charter - possibly with the best interests of the park in mind, maybe not, but certainly not taking into account and balancing the interests of future generations having continued access to some of the smaller less visited parks in S.A. I am continuing to explore the justification, management framework and background to the closure of this park to vehicular traffic and camping.

I hope this is an isolated decision but I am keen to hear of any other S.A. Conservation Parks that have closed in the past few years. I have been to many of them but won't get a chance to revisit to confirm access to so many of them any time soon.

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 08:02

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 08:02
Hi Duncan

I have a friend who’s daughter is a Ranger with National Parks here in South Australia.

He was telling me there are 2 distinct mindsets within the department and she has called them Greens and Browns.

If the Green groups had their way, they would close up all National Parks to all public access.

Sounds like the green group could be getting stronger and what a better way of starting off with the smaller, little known parks that not many have heard off and then if there are no questions asked, then do it to another park?
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644562

Follow Up By: Kenell - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:01

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:01
Duncan / Stephen - I reckon the power is in your hands. Firstly, write to the department. Then in addition to sites such as this write to newspapers (yes - some people still read them) write to the minister responsible, write to the shadow minister.

I think our generation have largely been overwhelmed by the generation/s coming behind us when it comes to challenging the status quo. If you rattle some cages you should at least get to the nub of the issue if nothing else.

I still believe it is the squeaky gate that gets the oil.
FollowupID: 924697

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:20

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:20
Hi Kennell,

I have some of your suggested actions already underway. I am ready to play the "long game" on this one..

Duncan.
FollowupID: 924698

Reply By: Darryl L - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:49

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:49
That stinks, and this is kind of thing I worry about too.

Parks are many things to different people - conservation reserves, recreation reserves, money makers... but most importantly they are a public asset that shouldn't be locked up by a cabal with vested interests.
AnswerID: 644563

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 06:55

Friday, Oct 06, 2023 at 06:55
I couldn’t agree more. We used to camp on the river at Morgan on our way north or coming back south. Now they have turned what used to be a free camping area into a conservation reserve that you have to book your site. Less room, and as we travel with our dog, we can no longer use it.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924702

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 14:13

Thursday, Oct 05, 2023 at 14:13
Yep, sadly this sort of thing is becoming more common - a combination of resource cuts in the various parks departments around the country, and increasing Green demands to lock up everything possible (for example the Grampians rock climbing).
Other examples - for some years I have been trying to access the Walkers Crossing track, which is supposed to be a Public Access Road (not maintained) from the Birdsville Track across to Innamincka, but it seems to be permanently closed. And the old log bridge to Vrilya Point on the western side of Cape York was used as an excuse a few years ago to shut off that delightful location.
Add to these situations the ridiculous booking system implemented in virtually every State by city based public servants (who I suspect never venture far from their CBD coffee shops). They are gradually destroying our ability to enjoy this country.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644566

Sponsored Links