GVM upgrade or Dual cab

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 08:35
ThreadID: 146393 Views:2012 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Apologies for the long read,
I'm faced with a dilemma and not sure which direction to go.
I currently drive a 100series landcruiser V8 which is set up for touring and outside of the fuel consumption of the old girl it's been a fantastic car. Recently was looking at some numbers and around payload capacity and Gvm and discovered when I hook up the van put the family in the car and fridge in the back then I'm right on the limit of GVM.

My van has a ATM of 2500kg
Towing capacity 3500kg
The vehicles payload is the one thats getting me so my options are Gvm upgrade which is around the 5k mark and would resolve the payload issue but then with the price of fuel and high fuel consumption number is making me think is it time to pull the pin and walk away and buy a dual cab ute that has a greater payload.
We are planning a trip in January travelling from Melbourne to Cairns with the van comparing consumption numbers with friends I'll be paying $1800-$2000 more just in fuel.

I can easily sit here and look at all the pros and cons for keeping mine or upgradingto a newer car, leaf sprung
rear, better for carrying the weight, turbo diesel better fuel economy, better etc, but then the left side of my brain says then cruiser is fully set up for touring, long range tank, dual batteries, upgraded suspension comfortable on long trips.
I have driven plenty of duel cab utes in the past for work but not towed my van with one, recently I read an article that claimed the ideal towing vehicle should be heavier then the caravan and said most people feel uncomfortable towing with dual cabs and thet are like death traps which is a bold statement now it's got me thinking the landcruiser is heavier and has a larger footprint then a dual cab utes ie, Ranger, Bt50 D'max and does sit on the road very well.

Please all if anyone is able to given me some real world input and experiences owning either landcruisers or dual cabs and the honesty feel when driving/ towing.

Thanks Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 10:45

Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 10:45
Why not just downsize the van? Better fuel economy, less ball weight and easier to tow.
AnswerID: 644613

Reply By: tonysmc - Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 12:54

Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 12:54
Hi Blinky. I would be sticking with what you have and see if there is anyway to reduce weight or at lease redistribute it. At 2500kg and 3500kg, you are well below your GCM weight. As you said you have a comfortable vehicle set up with everything you want or need. The cost of buying a vehicle and fitting it with everything you already have and no doubt a few extra’s is going too far exceed the possible extra $1800 - $2000 in fuel. You’ll be paying over $2000 in stamp duty alone just buying a dual cab. Diesel these days are more than expensive than petrol about 18c a litre in Melb. As for dual cabs towing, I’m on my second dual cab now (Hilux) and I’m very happy with it. I have sold my van now but it would tow your 2500 van no worries and while the hilux is rated at 3200 – 3500, towing, I personally prefer to have a van well under that limit. I went from a tub with ARB canopy to an Ali tray with gull wing canopy. So much room and so much better, but its hard not to fill all that extra space with more stuff that I’ll never use! Setting up the latest has been good fun but the cost of the extra's sure adds up.
AnswerID: 644614

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 13:06

Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 13:06
Not certain where you get this from "most people feel uncomfortable towing with dual cabs and thet are like death traps".

I have been towing my 2,500kg van behind my D-Max and it is the best tow vehicle I have owned in the past 20 years.

All you need to do is look at how many van get towed behind dual cab. I would guess that we'll over 50% of vans get towed by them.
AnswerID: 644615

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 19:45

Sunday, Oct 15, 2023 at 19:45
I agree with you on his most people statement. I think he is getting a bit dramatic on the subject. I participate in another couple of forums that are more biased towards caravanners and I don't hear that sort of thing on them.

He says his van has only an ATM of 2500 kg. That is less than the loaded weight of most twin cab utes where people use the capacity of the tray to carry the heavy and bulky items associated with caravan camping. Added to that, the modern utes come with stability controls that were not provided on his Toyota (unless you get the tradesman's base model.) I think that the modern ute with those safety features would be much safer than his current rig.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924751

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Monday, Oct 16, 2023 at 20:58

Monday, Oct 16, 2023 at 20:58
I also agree with Kazza about being over dramatic on the subject of the towing with the current utes.

I have had the same van of 21 ft and with ATM 3040kgs for near 9 years, and towed that van with Toyota LC200 fitted with in coil air bags, Isuzu Dmax with ARB OME GVM upgrade, and currently with Mazda BT50 (Isuzu built) with no upgrades, and I feel more comfortable towing now than I did with the LC.

Whilst weight distribution is important to safe towing the relationship between rear overhang to the tow ball and the vehicle wheelbase will have a marked effect on the towing stability. The curent Dmax and BT50 have a longer wheelbase with a shorter rear overhang when compared to the previous models.

Athol
FollowupID: 924754

Reply By: Member - TerritorianNT - Monday, Oct 16, 2023 at 18:30

Monday, Oct 16, 2023 at 18:30
Basically you own one of the best Landcruisers ever made, pitty its not the 1hd-fte turbo diesel, but its still a fantastic vehicle. Way better and more reliable than any of those lightweight 4x4's.

You can Also get a 3900kg GVM upgrade for the 100 Series IFS Landcruiser at around $9k from LTG4x4 3900 kg GVM upgrade kit -https://ltg4x4.com.au/product-category/gvm/
AnswerID: 644620

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:04

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:04
100 cruiser is neither heavier nor has a bigger footprint than any of the current twin cabs mentioned, and they will also have much better onboard safety and control systems.
AnswerID: 644621

Sponsored Links