Starting Battery.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 23:31
ThreadID: 14641 Views:4309 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hiya guys and gals.
after two and a half years, the starting battery in the patrol is showing signs of going south for a very long winter.
just wondering about who is using what as a start battery, and how said battry is performing. whatever we get will have to do mainly running around town stuff, but also a bit of running the fridge in the jayco whilst travelling, and trickle feeding to a battery in the jayco. i'm leaning toward a n70zz, but any and all suggestions are welcome.
thanks in advance.

rick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 23:37

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 23:37
Rick
N70ZZ should be the standard for GU's. I have a Bond Calcium, good crank and RC. Bought this after not being able to haggle a Exide Extreme lower than $150. Picked up the Bond for $120 from local mechanic with 12 month replacement warranty. Check / ask how old the battery you are being sold is. Very important
Hope this helps. Oh, I use the same battery for the second battery as well, only 4 months use so no long-term info yet.
Rolande
AnswerID: 67699

Reply By: Bruce QLD - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:29

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:29
Rick
i am running a delkor calcium battery put it in about May 2001 dosen't evan look like giving up its in a Gq diesel mostly ten minute ruins during the week and ocasional trips at weekends.
Bruce
AnswerID: 67709

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:33

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:33
I'm running a NZZ70 17 Plate 760CCA Powercrank. I bought it on special from AGPARTS, a farming supplier near work for $79!! It's awsome, it charges quick as, because of the smaller plates and starts the surf no problems. (the surf had two smaller bats orig. equp.)
I have also jump started a 4.2TD GU who's battery was so cactus it went flat just sitting in the carpark for 30 mins. Without running my engine (didn't want to blow computers etc). Started easier than mine does, straight off the jumper leads!
BTW this guy was not real smart, after I started it he proceeded to tell me it was his 4th jump start that day! I proceeded to tell him where the closest place to buy a battery was and that he shouldn't be wasting everyones time!
AnswerID: 67728

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 22:26
I have a N70ZZ Exide Extreme & am very satisfied. It was new in January 2001. (I wite the date on the battery when I install it).

This same battery is really good as a general purpose unit. I do not have a deep cycle 2nd battery (see next para). Originally I used to disconnect the 12 V fridge in the rear of the GU at night, and rely on the already cold contents to keep the goods cool until morning. Then, in daylight I ensured the vehicle started each time before plugging the fridge back in. But for the last 2 years, I have got into the habit of leaving the 12 V fridge on all night in the rear of the GU. The vehicle has never shown the slightest hestitancy to start. The last big run: 5000km in 30 to 40 degree heat, and this procedure worked fine. That is to say, it was conditions in which the fridge was doing serious work.

As I recently did this trip in remote areas, I was concerned that the Extreme battery may let me down due to its age,vibration damage to the plates, etc. So, before we left, I duly had it tested, and it was all OK. I do have a 12 V portable battery/power pack that can jump start my petrol GU, so if the Exide Extreme had died I was not snookered. I use this for portable unit to power the 12 V light at the camp fire, which is often way to far from the vehicle to use its power. Anyway, these units only draw 1 amp/hour, way less than the cycling fridge. I thus have not got a battery cradle & expensive switching gear under the bonnett. Saved around $ 700!

Remember that your GU has a great alternator, 100 Amp hours from memory.

No prizes for guessing which brand/model of battery I will replace this current battery with.

signed

the ORIGINAL Rick
hahahaahaa
AnswerID: 67837

Reply By: crowie - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 14:44

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 14:44
The "Century Yuasa Overlander 700" is good gear. 17 internal plates and can crank up 700 cold cranking amps when fresh. I think there is also a 24 months warranty.

Crowie
AnswerID: 67898

Sponsored Links