Lithium Battery Maintenance

Submitted: Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 11:52
ThreadID: 146439 Views:2087 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
What's the best way to look after Lithium batteries in a caravan when van not being used for an extended period.
Continuous trickle charge with the solar panels on the roof? keep the van plugged into 240V? charge battery for a few days then isolate?
Interested to get your feedback.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:05

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:05
Lithium batteries do not sulphate up like lead acid batteries do. Also, the instruction for many lithium batteries is to not store them fully charged. Just ignore them and recharge them if necessary when you are preparing to travel.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644651

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:46

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:46
Thanks Peter. Looks like it might be best to isolate the battery otherwise the van solar panels will continue to charge them up to maximum if nothing switched on.
FollowupID: 924808

Reply By: Member - FLNGO - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:54

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:54
The literature I have read on long term storage (say > 3mths) recommends 40 - 60% SOC as this is the least stressed state for the chemistry.

For my AOR Quantum, I isolate the solar input and place a load on the inverter bringing the SOC to below 70%, then isolate any loads. A couple of days before the next trip, just turn on the solar to recharge the battery.

Regards
Fabio

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644652

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:59

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:59
Thanks Fabio. Looks like a plan
FollowupID: 924809

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 14:26

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 14:26
Mepvic
Does it all rely on how the van is being used? In my van the charge and power system uses some everyday, and will flatten the battery if no charge input is present, but when solar is going it charges and cuts off charge when low end input charge is detected. If the van system in most uses some simply for the reg and any other small drain devices, ie, Bluetooth, perhaps a small maintenance amount sometimes will keep it relatively charged but not fully. If no draining present, then no need to keep it going and do same as suggested above.
AnswerID: 644654

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 14:54

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 14:54
Hi Mepvic,
Storage recommendations from most lithium battery suppliers seem to vary but are within a range between 40% and 80% of full state-of-charge.
As said above, discharge the battery to within that range then isolate it from any charging or discharging loads. Be sure to totally isolate the battery as simply 'turning the lights off' may not be all the load on the battery…… there may be permanently connected devices such as battery monitors, bluetooth devices, LED indicators etc. It is best to have an isolator that interrupts the main connection from the battery. Even then, the battery will still have internal monitoring devices that impose a small drain that cannot be disconnected so if stored for very long periods it may be wise to check the battery SOC occasionally. For that reason I elect to store my battery starting at 80% SOC as it then would take a very long time for internal discharge to take it down to 40%.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644655

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 16:09

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 16:09
In general then, how much damage is done to them by people who are long term or permanently on the road?

Is it helped that they may somewhat reduce their capacity every night and recharge each day that would reduce issues?
FollowupID: 924812

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 16:46

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 16:46
Listening to a Tech guy on the radio the other night who said not charging your phone to 100% every time will prolong the life of the battery. Suggested to go into battery management and click on "charge battery to 85%."
Didn't know that was there. There again there's a lot of things I don't know. I've always relied on 42.
Dave.
FollowupID: 924814

Follow Up By: SCUBADOO - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 17:43

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 17:43
Our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 has survived 9 years of full-time travel here in NZ both starting the 3.9l turbo diesel truck engine and powering motorhome.
I capacity check the battery at 30A each November and capacity has reduced in Ah from the initial 315 to 301.
I expect it to last a few more years.
Daily overnight draw is typically about 120Ah.

For storage I would:
Up to a month charge to whatever I like then isolate the battery.
6 months. Charge to 60-80% then isolate.
12 months. Do I really need Lithium?
FollowupID: 924815

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 17:27

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 17:27
I allowed my lithiums to discharge to 60% SOC then disconnected the negative battery terminals for a prolonged period of non use.
Can someone confirm that this accomplishes best practice
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644656

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 19:11

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 19:11
I just now looked up the recommendations by Enerdrive for their B-Tec battery in storage. This is the 200Ah battery I use. Their current statement is that it is OK to store the battery on float, PROVIDED THAT the charger is properly programmed for that specs for particular battery. Otherwise, they recommend that the battery be stored disconnected with a SOC higher than 90% of the battery spec and maintained above 90% SOC.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644659

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 07:29

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 07:29
So if the battery is connected to their DCDC charger it is fine to just leave it all running?
FollowupID: 924819

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 09:42

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 09:42
We've had this conversation before, and IIRC, last time Allan called Enerdrive and got the same info. I'm interested in this, because my Karavan is all Enerdrive. The battery is branded as Kimberley, but I strongly suspect it's a rebranded Enerdrive.Kimberley is adamant that it's best to leave the AC charger connected when not in use, so that's what I do. No problems so far, although I haven't done a capacity test. In any case, it would be hard to fully isolate the battery, as there are a couple of things that always have a parasitic draw, such as the brakes.

How different is a lithium in a 4WD, be it under the bonnet or in the back, that is driven regularly?
FollowupID: 924820

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 10:20

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 10:20
Yes Alby, that is what Enerdrive are saying. here is the link to their instructive videos. The video in question is the last on the opening page titled "Part 5: Operation" and the advice on storage begins at 5:00.
In the short term of a few weeks storage, that is what I have been doing. If I were to put the vehicle up for longer I would consider total isolation.

Briste, Yes, I think I did ask Enerdrive and got that advice. They are excellent with support and I am very pleased that I chose their products for the Sprinter. It all works faultlessly.
My parasitic drain is about 100mA which represents about 8.5% drop in SOC per week from my 200Ah battery, so in the longer term I would disconnect from charging and isolate the battery. For this I have a convenient main switch. It is a component that I would install on any system in case I detect a 'Dark Brown' smell and wish to cut power smartishly.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924821

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:06

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:06
That video is fairly clear. Thanks. Most online discussion advocates not leaving a lithium on charge, so it is instructive to get the alternative view direct from the manufacturer. If it's true for Enerdrive, why wouldn't it be true for other brands, if you have a suitable AC charger? Might it depend on the BMS?

The Karavan does have a battery isolation switch, but it's not total isolation. I just double-checked this, and there is still power to the electronically-activated hydraulic brakes, which I assume is a safety measure. Also, as I just discovered, the light in the front boot where the batteries are located also still works. A full isolation would take a bit of effort in this case, so leaving the batteries on float is easier than continually checking the charge when the van is stored.
FollowupID: 924822

Reply By: mepvic - Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 21:38

Monday, Oct 30, 2023 at 21:38
Thanks to all for the advice. Consensus is to isolate the battery for long periods where not being used. Will bring the SOC down to 60-80% and isolate.

AnswerID: 644660

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:17

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:17
This advice to store Li batteries at less than full is very common, but I have yet to see a technical explanation as to WHY?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644662

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 12:43

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 12:43
Hi Peter,
I think that much of what is promulgated for LiFePo4 batteries has its roots in the original Lithium-ion batteries where storage at somewhere less than 70% SOC was universal to avoid unpleasant outcomes!
Battery retailers with probable little technical knowledge are prone to decorate their websites with profound expressions to add credence to their sales promotions. Being conservative, I lend credence to organisations that employ staff with visible expertise. Accordingly, Enerdrive was my goto for Lithium products and advice, but that is not to proclaim that either lithium or Enerdrive is the exclusive solution to mobile power as you have clearly demonstrated.

Prevailing advice for LiFePo4 batteries from reliable sources is that storage should be such as to avoid deep discharge and for that purpose it is suggested to begin storage with a high SOC to obtain maximum headroom. Accordingly, storage with float charging to specification is OK.

On the other hand, Li-ion cells are touchy things that can ignite if you look at them sideways and have very specific operating and storage requirements. I am sure there would be scholarly articles available on this subject with "technical explanation as to WHY" but life is becoming too short for me to spend time searching for academic enlightenment. However, I may be interested if you discover the answer and post it here.

I do wonder if the several discarded cell phones in the cupboard are time bombs!!!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924823

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Nov 01, 2023 at 09:11

Wednesday, Nov 01, 2023 at 09:11
First I would suggest you consult with the battery supplier/manufacturer to see what they suggest. Some batteries have blue tooth devices and cell balancers etc which can drain the battery even if it is isolated and I have seen some manufactures suggest you top up the battery every 4 months or so.

Other batteries such as my built up units have cell balancers that draw so little it will take them three years to discharge the battery.

Again check with the manufacturer and find out whay they recommend.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644664

Reply By: mepvic - Wednesday, Nov 01, 2023 at 09:20

Wednesday, Nov 01, 2023 at 09:20
Thanks again to all. We hope to pick up our new van shortly so will check with the supplier also. Will also get the battery manufacturer details and contact them.

AnswerID: 644665

Sponsored Links