Servo's on GCR

Can someone please tell what distance they have servo's apart on the GCR, and do they sell petrol?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Nov 02, 2023 at 21:02

Thursday, Nov 02, 2023 at 21:02
Only Opal fuel and diesel on the Great Central.

Did not take any notice of distance but first from Yulare is Warakurna, then Warburton, then Tjukayirla then Laverton
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644671

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 02:52

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 02:52
I’ve linked the ExplorOz Trek for this route to the top of this post but here is the extract from that Trek that gives you the answer:

Distances between Fuel Availability:
Yulara to Warakurna = 335km
Warakurna to Warburton = 228km
Warburton to Tjukayirla = 245km
Tjukayirla to Laverton = 304km

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644672

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 14:51

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 14:51
Thanks Michelle, it is within the range of my motorbike, an Royal Enfield Himilayan ( an ADV). I have been invited to do the trip, besides some other roads, not as remote. I will either have an 7 lt bladder, or 2 X 6lt tanks up front.
FollowupID: 924827

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 14:58

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 14:58
Great! We have lots of ADV bike users in the ExplorOz community - it seems to be a thriving growth area for travellers. We saw a couple on our trip last year - two on the GCR and a whole group in the West McDonnell Ranges National Park.

A tip - the guys we saw riding the GCR said it was pretty hard going dodging the rocky spots of the road - they mentioned they stood up on the pedals all day when riding the track!

Hope you enjoy it. MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924828

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 18:19

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 18:19
Docker River has fuel.

M-F 9am-12pm & 2:30pm to 5pm
Sat 9am-12pm
Closed Sunday

Both Opal and diesel available.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644673

Reply By: Gerard S - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 20:17

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 20:17
There is a very active Facebook page, with almost daily up dates and travellers experiences. Search.... The Great Central Road
AnswerID: 644674

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 20:58

Friday, Nov 03, 2023 at 20:58
If you use Petrol Spy - you can also estimate the cost of the fuel as well. You have to work out the maximum zoom out you can use and follow the faint roads but you can not only find the stations across the portion you were given the answers but the other 2/3rds of the road over to Boulia.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644675

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 00:33

Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 00:33
Well just speaking to the blokes tonight on a group convo, they would like to use it as a trial run for the Canning, but I am old, and don't think I have it in me for 1600km of stand up hell, not too mention the fuel issue. The Canning has been done by DRZ400's, DR650's, Various GS's, actually a lot of different bikes both as a couple of blokes and in numbers up to a dozen. I think it would be too much for me, but I have done the Tanami on my pushbike in 09 on my own, so I suppose I should say never say never.
FollowupID: 924829

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 08:42

Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 08:42
The GCR as a trial run for the Canning? I'd do the GCR in my Mum's Mazda 121... what are you hoping to learn from the GCR as a prep for the Canning??
FollowupID: 924830

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 15:47

Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 15:47
Sounds like you already have advice from your group, but try the Adventure Rider (Australia) Forum. They'll give you answers from experience.

The Himalayan is (sort of) and adventure bike (more like a cross-over), but I think it would give you a hard time on that road. If you weren't standing all day you'd be resting your butt cheeks all night!??

Best of luck (genuinely) if you go ahead and do it.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 924831

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 17:00

Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 17:00
Richard M29
The stops are hardly servo's but have fuel.
My choice of bike would be the DR650. I had one and it's suspension outshone, by far, most others for corrugated road use other than a motorcrosser and was far better than a Tenere which I also owned for a few years. The DR650 suspension saved stupid from disater while travelling fast through a big dips, it just soaked up the terrain without bottoming. Also had BMW GS boxer, not the Dakkar but model down. Worst bike EVER I have owned. It had hopeless supension and drank fuel, about 1/3 more than the DR650. I admire anyone who can ride a BMW GS in rough terrain for a distance. Mine was the most unreliable bike of the 12 on/off trail and road bikes I have owned. Electrics a sham. The things that failed was immense, even had oil seal in Gbox fitted to pump oil out instead of keeping it in. Factory fitted of course!
Seen new ones at Pink Roadhouse Oodna, which had a Hyundai battery on the rack because in less than 2000km from NEW the battery failed, BMW800twin. The Royal E is reliable though.
FollowupID: 924832

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 17:42

Saturday, Nov 04, 2023 at 17:42
Richard,

If haven’t already, check out Benji Brundin’s “10 deserts” videos on YouTube. We met him at Well 9 on the Canning in 2019. Again at Well 12 & Durba Springs. Couldn’t keep up with him after that. He was unsupported, but did meet a number of people that helped him out with a meal etc.

It was obvious from his tracks it wasn’t always easy going! The corrugations would have to be the worst part of the journey. With one exception, the sandhills are easy, nothing like the height or size of the Simpson dunes, and many sand hills have the track running around the end of each dune.

Sheepskin seat cover with minimum 25mm fleece, is one secret to comfortable long distance off road travel.
Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644679

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Monday, Nov 06, 2023 at 22:51

Monday, Nov 06, 2023 at 22:51
I have just spent the last 2 days reading up on 2 wheel travel on the Canning, and it's not for me- too old, even though I hit the gym for 2 hours 4 times a week, their is no way I would do that trip, but I think I could do the GCR. Their is a DR650 spare amongst the guys, not sure if I really what to put my new Himi on that road so soon, so the DR is an option.
FollowupID: 924848

Sponsored Links