The Ideal Overlanding Vehicle

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 08, 2023 at 15:29
ThreadID: 146498 Views:1876 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Curious to hear peoples opinions on which vehicle they have found great for overlanding/4x4 touring in Australia? I realise some factors void some options (e.g. price, family size etc.). I'm about to take delivery on a new Prado, given my current one has been a great vehicle for the past 10 years (and I couldn't afford a 300 series). When going remote though, I'd be more comfortable in something like an 80 or 100 series Landcruiser given they're (reasonably) basic vehicles that are less likely to experience 'limp mode' issues.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2023 at 19:24

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2023 at 19:24
We chose a 2006 Nissan Patrol, cab chassis with rear canopy, leaf sprung rear with gvm upgrade, last of the 4.2 turbo diesels, for the very sort of reasons you mention (basic, lack of user unfriendly electronics & very capable off road) as the intention for buying was remote solo travel. Have owned it since 2011 & I can say hand on heart that of all the vehicles I have owned it is the vehicle I have trusted more than any other, & I still trust it. At 250,000kms it still runs like clockwork & uses zero oil between changes. I'd be happy to take it anywhere ......... but the purchase of a truck based off road camper means it will be advertised for sale soon, fully set up for extended remote area travel for two. I have very mixed feelings at letting a trustworthy old friend go, & a degree of anxiety about the process of learning to trust a new to us vehicle. The change reflects a desire for a greater degree of comfort & convenience necessary for our reduced physical capabilities as we age.

When we bought it we could have bought a newer 3.0 litre Patrol for less, but we specifically wanted something not reliant on 'sensors for everything, limp modes etc.

ps. If anyone has an interest in buying a 'ready to go' comprehensively equipped remote area travel outfit (Just add your clothing food & tools) at a sensible price watch out for an ad in the near future, or drop me a line. :)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644705

Follow Up By: JA1 - Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 09:17

Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 09:17
I must admit, evening being a Toyota-man, I would love to have a TD42!
FollowupID: 924853

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 20:32

Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 20:32
JA1
What does a "Toyota Man" look like, are they similar to Ford or Oldhen men?
FollowupID: 924862

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 18:05

Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 18:05
Everyone will reckon their current (or next) choice it the best :)
We are no different.
We chose the OKA for some of the same reasons Cuppa chose his Nissan. Low tech, parts availability and something a non mechanic has a chance to fix on the side of the road.
An additional requirement was the ability to go anywhere unassisted with very high levels of comfort and to carry enough fuel and water for at least a month without towing.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644712

Follow Up By: greybeard - Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 00:44

Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 00:44
I'd hate to think what a month of diesel for an OKA would cost these days.
FollowupID: 924857

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 10:05

Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 10:05
Depends how far you drive. :)
Our average drive distance per day is 120km and our normal cruse speed is lower than it used to be.
Most people who cross the Simpson take around 4 or 5 days because they are limited by the fuel and water they can carry.
We can take a month. That simple choice can change the travel experience dramatically.

Camped on the top of a dune for 4 nights on the Rig Road.
We never saw another vehicle in that time.
A day or so after you arrive, all the little critters that were frightened away when we got there start to come back. Most people never know they are there.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924861

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Nov 11, 2023 at 07:41

Saturday, Nov 11, 2023 at 07:41
None of those big grey spiders and centipedes up the top of the dunes either I suppose? The thought never occurred to me to camp on the top of a dune.
FollowupID: 924863

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 30, 2023 at 07:32

Thursday, Nov 30, 2023 at 07:32
Camping on the top of dunes is the best spot. To wake up with the long shadows and early sun. And an amazing array of fresh animal tracks all around you.

Magic. Thanks for that small memory Peter.
FollowupID: 924978

Reply By: Mark G12 - Thursday, Nov 16, 2023 at 15:58

Thursday, Nov 16, 2023 at 15:58
Patrol just might be the ultimate tough reliable platform for just about any 4x4 adventure. Long live the live axle me says. Great drive train to boot.
AnswerID: 644733

Reply By: Alan H11 - Thursday, Nov 30, 2023 at 07:17

Thursday, Nov 30, 2023 at 07:17
When we bought our current vehicle (at home) Nissan had reached its import limit so no Patrols available (and probably too expensive for us anyway).

The JK Wrangler was a bit smaller than we wanted and we were concerned at ride comfort, although we did later buy one for a 2 year trip in Canada (really two trips - 5 months and 6 months - over two years). It proved excellent.

We chose a Montero, which has been excellent; we did take it to Australia and covered 45,000 km or so, including GRR and SImpson, and it did an excellent job.

We considered a Land Cruiser, however it was DOUBLE the price of the Montero!
AnswerID: 644819

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Dec 01, 2023 at 07:05

Friday, Dec 01, 2023 at 07:05
Hi Guys,

I have given this question a lot of thought since it was first listed on this forum. I think the answer depends a lot on how you want to travel, as there are a number of considerations.

I like the “expedition” type trucks, or something like Pete & Margaret’s OKA. They do have their drawbacks such physical size when looking to park in town to do the shopping. Also, you have to pack your entire camp up if you are staying somewhere and want to do day trips or sightseeing. The good thing about them is that they a large enough to be able to carry quite a lot, particularly water, which I think is the consumable that most people will run out of first. Also, you are not dragging a trailer or caravan, meaning you can cross the Simpson or other places that prohibit caravans.

Then of course there is the Dual Cab Ute. They can be set up as a touring vehicle, similar to the expedition trucks, but on a smaller scale. I think the Landcruiser Wagon or Nissan Patrol converted to a ute give you the better size and capacity than a standard dual cab. The 79 Series Landcruiser can also be extended to accommodate a larger tray and canopy. Of course they will all require a suspension upgrade to accommodate the extra weight. You can also do the same with the American Pick Ups, but in my opinion you need the 2500 series and not the 1500 series. Of course these also require you to pack your camp up just like the expedition trucks if you want to go anywhere.

For me, I think a 200 Series Ute Conversion would be the ideal touring vehicle. Mostly because parts and service are available almost everywhere.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644827

Sponsored Links