Blog Review: Stockton Lake

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

We live in the New England of NSW, and we still use coal in our heater in the lounge room, as it was designed for coal back in the 1920's. I have a couple of ton left of coal from being able to get it from The Hunter Valley years ago, although I cannot get it anymore. It is not kosha to use it today due to environmental reasons, but it is very warm, in extremely cold weather like we get here. We will miss it. in 3 years time when we run out.. I really like your write up, did nt know about Stockton Lake, so will keep that in mind when next over there.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 16:26

Thursday, Nov 09, 2023 at 16:26
Thank you for reading and sharing your experiences with coal! That's so interesting to know that there are still some coal heaters left in operation. Am I right in observing that burning coal gives off no noticeable fumes or smoke? That's how we experienced here - but perhaps indoors its a different thing. I don't know why but I expected a petroleum odor but it appeared to burn clean with no odor.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644711

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 00:01

Friday, Nov 10, 2023 at 00:01
Their is a slight odor, but defin itely not overpowering, plus the heater has a flue, so no smoke issues, at all, but you do see black smoke depending on the quality of the coal out of the top of the flue. I was also using it for my forge, as I stopped being able to get coke, then sold my big forge when I fully retired, thus giving us an extra 8 years of heating for less then $400 for the 10 ton of coal that I had bought.
FollowupID: 924856

Reply By: Greg M3 - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2023 at 07:51

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2023 at 07:51
When I first started working underground we were given a coal allowance as part of our wages.
AnswerID: 644718

Reply By: Andrew L - Friday, Nov 17, 2023 at 11:13

Friday, Nov 17, 2023 at 11:13
The reason we still have trees and forests is due to coal,
Whilst we import blades for wind turbines, the ship returns to China with our coal.
We need to open our eyes, Energy Australia is owned by CLP, (China light and power) who are currently building
Snowy2
AnswerID: 644737

Sponsored Links