Lithium Batteries for Deep Cycle Replacement (AGM)

Submitted: Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 17:06
ThreadID: 146543 Views:2413 Replies:13 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
The advantage of using Lithium Batteries are well known but some of the issues not so much.
It seems strange to me that few of the long established battery brands offer a lithium alternative.
Some sellers of Lithium do not recommend wiring in parallel others say OK
There is a mountain of new brands of Lithium on the market with little or no way of telling which are the best. Is price the only guide?
I would welcome discussion
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 17:50

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 17:50
As with AGMs (and most other things) I suggest that price is a poor indicator of quality.
Advertising, marketing techniques and customer demand all push the retail price upwards without having any effect on real quality which is established in the factory and is determined by design, material choice and the consistency of the manufacturing process.
The customers are the largest influence on the price.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

AnswerID: 644753

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 18:57

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 18:57
Yes Peter, you are no doubt correct but without many established brands available how does one make an informed decision?
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644754

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 19:09

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 19:09
Hi Ross

These are my thoughts only….

Why waste the big dollars on a Lithium battery, with many unknowns?

I have just replaced the battery in my camper with another AGM battery.

Why you ask, well I have had over nine and a half years of trouble free service out of my old AGM and something that I bet you can not get out of a Lithium at those extra dollars.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644755

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 11:20

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 11:20
Stephen,
My main reason for considering lithium is that I sometimes like to run a 60 Ltd Trailblazer and a 40 Ltd Engel in the canopy of my Ute and mostly avoid parks with 240v power.
The extra usable capacity together with the light weight would be handy
Ross\
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924911

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 12:39

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 12:39
Ross,
Usable capacity alone is not a reason to choose Lithium, even though weight may be.
However, having selected the desired battery storage capacity, you need to ensure that you have the resources to adequately recharge it in order to replace what you have consumed, Don't forget to address that issue also.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924912

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 14:08

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 14:08
This "usable capacity" of AGMs is a nonsense.
There is absolutely no reason not to use 100% of an AGM's name plate capacity. All lead acids suffer from voltage drop at high loads, but that is a different issue and after the high load is terminated, the voltage comes back up, without undue loss of total capacity. With light loads like those indicated by Ross, voltage sag is not an issue anyway.
There are actually greater limitations with using name plate capacity with lithium batteries. It is usual to limit charging to something less than 100% to avoid the "knee" and it is usual to also limit the depth of discharge because damage can occur. Neither of these limitations apply to AGMs.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924913

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 16:42

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 16:42
Peter, you are muddying the water.
We were not discussing the semantics of absolute value of usable capacity, merely that Ross could perhaps gain extra stored capacity if he were to move to a Lithium battery. This may well have been achieved by the fact that he could accomodate a higher specification of battery rating in his available space by moving to Lithium which has a higher energy density than AGM for comparable size and weight specification.

It is important to not overcharge any class of battery.
In the case of LiFePO4 the measured cell voltage begins to flatten just as the battery approaches full charge. Because it is difficult to reliably measure the incremental voltage change at this point, charging devices are set to terminate charging just before that point where the battery is for all practical purposes fully charged and negligible storage capacity is lost by this determination. To suggest that this procedure diminishes the battery capacity is deceptive.
Incidentally, this is not the "knee point" often referred to. That is the the nominal point at which the rate of capacity degradation changes abruptly at a certain state of charge (SOC) or cycle number.

As for the depth of discharge that can safely be applied to AGM batteries I have no doubt that it can be lower than 50% of the nominal SoC as you have suggested and, I understand, have practised. Although there are some defined safe lower voltage limits below which such a battery may incur permanent damage . I would imagine that you manage to keep above them.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924914

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 20:11

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 20:11
Ross N
I suspect the major battery producers have millions of $'s locked up in lead battery production and while that is happening they don't want to, or can't see sufficient immediate $'s for their bottom line into the near future.

Most people compare, as some have done, "my AGM lasts 10 years" etc. I have experienced that too, but a lithium isn't just about Life for me.
It is also about life AND the AH usability from a relatively lighter battery, of smaller size. Most lithium can be discharged lower than an AGM for the same stated size while retaining close to same voltage throughout, unlike an AGM. I use AGM's to runa 1000w Giandel sw inverter to run my fridge, has done so for the last 1100 days.
I bought 8 lithium Blue cells and run them as 2p4s pack. Each 72ah which makes 140ah at around 13.2v. and 100amp BMS. This for the caravan. All good after 1 year!
AnswerID: 644756

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 20:37

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 20:37
RMD

Like I said, my reply was my thoughts only and a lithium would be of no benefit for me, except for the big cost of upgrading to accept and charge a lithium battery.

I friend of mine when through the process with lithium for his camper, costing him many thousands of dollars to get it set up. Eleven months later and his lithium battery was buggered.

His supplier did the right thing, shipping him a new battery from WA up to Cairns, but had to wait nearly 2 weeks for that to happen.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924904

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 22:22

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 22:22
Hi Stephen, how ya going?

I can only say that your friend either has some major fault in his system or he bought a poor quality battery. If so, he faces a recurrence of the failure in the future.

All the best for Christmas mate.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924905

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:26

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:26
Hi Allan and Roz

Seasons Greetings and hope things are going well for you.

As for our friends battery, he spent good money on his system and there were no issues with that but it was a faulty battery.

He had everything retested and was all operating as it should and with the replacement battery, he has now had no more issues after 2 years.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924907

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 09:06

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 09:06
Unexpected failures can happen to the best of us Stephen.
Having things fail was what paid my salary for many years.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924910

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 22:08

Monday, Nov 20, 2023 at 22:08
Hi Ross, let me first say that you are probably opening Pandora's Box by inviting "discussion" on batteries of any type. Battery threads on this forum are notorious for opinionated views which invariably confuse the inquirer.
As an electrical engineer I could claim some reasonable understanding of the subject but prudence causes me to be very cautious in my expressions. So I shall not here argue the merits of Lead Acid versus Lithium batteries. They each have merits and the purchaser will apply his own assessment of the relative values.

Over the many years of evaluating suppliers of equipment for industry I found that price alone was not a reliable guide but it was generally safe to purchase products from companies that had established a respectable position in the marketplace. It would be fair to say that such sources prices were certainly not the cheapest but their products were invariably of expected quality and their after-sales service was reliable.

To address your specific questions I think that the established retailers of lead acid batteries are also offering lithium batteries. As the technology of lithium is so different to lead acid it is perhaps not surprising that the Australian manufacturers have yet to invest in lithium manufacture ,although several are marketing lithium products within their brand which have been sourced from elsewhere.

As for parallel operation, it is technically safe to do so provided that correct procedure is followed...... but that also applies to lead acid batteries. As a new owner of a Mercedes Sprinter van outfitted as a motor-home I subscribe to a USA based forum where virtually all owners adopt lithium and many have banks of paralleled batteries. Setups with four connected batteries totalling 800 Ampere hours is not unusual.

When I outfitted my Sprinter I opted for a single 200Ah battery and following my dictum selected Enerdrive for both the battery and the chargers and management system. After about 6 months the management display locked up for some unknown reason. Enerdrive fixed the problem and returned it the next day by Express Post at no charge. It validated my choice of supplier.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644757

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 06:47

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 06:47
Hi Ross,

Lithium batteries have been used by industry for many years. The vast majority of battery backup systems for computers and electronic systems where an “Uninterrupted Power Supply” (UPS) is required is being powered by lithium batteries. I have personal knowledge of a UPS system using Lithium batteries for at least 20 years.

Yes, there are issues with some Lithium battery chemistries such as Lithium Ion (Lion), but these issues are well known and have been known for quite some time. They are generally not used for larger applications such as caravans and home systems and battery back up systems etc.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644758

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 08:53

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 08:53
Macca
Your last paragraph troubles me!
If the 7000 cells in a Tesla battery and most EV car batteries aren't Lithium Ion what are they?
Definitely not prismatic. So it seems they ARE used often, which is the opposite to "generally not used"!
Many batteries sold have cylindrical cells inside.

I suspect the new Kia EV9 which weighs 2 1/2 tons also uses Lithium Ion in it's battery of 100KWH size. A big battery to cart around a big battery!
FollowupID: 924909

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 05:30

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 05:30
Hi RMD,

You have taken those words out of the context that I used them. Lithium Ion are generally not used in caravans or home battery stations. Yes, they are used in EV’s

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924915

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:18

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:18
Issues?

I guess pre puchase homework is a key.

In the meantime we will continue to enjoy our 13V 300Ah LiFePO4 battery that has survived 9 years of full-time travel with a c5% capacity loss. In Ah 315 down to just 299 according to my annual November C/10 capacity test.

It also starts the Canter 3.9l TD engine often multiple times a day with ease and will accept an 80A alternator charge until full.
Try that with any lead acid battery.

I'm guessing that we would be be on our second or third twin paralleled cranking and AGM batteries by now.

Issues so far = zero.
AnswerID: 644759

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 01:33

Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 01:33
I expect you don't have the only canter in the country and others are fine starting the engine multiple times a day and running accessories on lead acid or agm batteries. Regardless of the vehicle over the yrs on sites like this some people have claimed to have gotten up to 12yrs out of agm batteries like the Fullriver brand which is a dual purpose battery so you guess may not be correct who knows.
As we know batteries are hit and miss my first lithium only lasted around 12 months I hope to improve greatly on that with the warranty replacement but it's only a deep cycle running fridges etc.
FollowupID: 924935

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 08:20

Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 08:20
Correct me if I'm wrong Scoob, you run no S4 bms on your system, just 4 cells bolted together?
That is the sort of simplicity needed for automotive use.
FollowupID: 924939

Follow Up By: SCUBADOO - Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:07

Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:07
Correct. No usual BMS module involved.
Our system consists of no charging source exceeding 14.1V at the battery terminals at which point the battery is always 100% SOC regardless of charge current.
Direct alternator c80A (no smoke yet), Victron 50A solar controller and the rarely used Victron IP22 30A mains battery charger.
The Victron SmartShunt and Junctrk battery monitors will alarm at 20% SOC and the Victron BatteryProtect will isolate the house power at 12.5V. Never triggered except to test.

The cells remain well balanced although I have checked occasionally and manually adjusted with a 100W halogen bulb.
In my opinion keeping cells in perfect balance is really just a psychological satisfaction thing. Balancing a cell with a 100mV difference for our battery requires a fraction of an Ah of energy adding or removing no useful capacity anyway.

The truck engine still starts instantly at 5% SOC.

Just to experiment I recently parallel added a 4 cell EVE 280Ah LiFePO4 battery to the mix.
FollowupID: 924941

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:31

Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:31
Probably the only useful thing a bms does is cut the charge out at excessively hi or lo temps which will probably only ever happen in the snow fields.
All the rest has been created by YouTube influencers.
As to keeping the cells perfectly balanced, as it has always been, the battery will only be as good as its weakest cell which lifepo4 is proving to be will be better than any lead acid battery which by the way has not been possible to check individual cells for a very long time, well before deep cycle batteries become available for automotive use and all the charging miss matches started.
I bet There would have been some pretty well unbalanced cells in any LA battery with a few months of service under their belt if one was able to test them.
FollowupID: 924942

Reply By: Peter J4 - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:38

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:38
As a relatively early adopter of lithium batteries for RV (hate that "word" ) use 400ah Winston battery I built 12 years ago and fitted in the Oka for the "house" battery is still going strong, In fact a capacity test last year showed no degradation in capacity over that time, due in part to Winston understating a little bit the cell capacity.
During that period it has been used continuously 24/7 except for about half a dozen occasions when we have travelled for periods of up to 6 months without the Oka when it has been partially discharged and then isolated completely while we were away.
During that time it has run a 130 litre compressor fridge 24/7 with the sole charging source being the roof mounted solar, no charging from the vehicle at all.
When at home in the shed with no solar I use a Projecta 35 amp mains charger to top the battery up once a fortnight.
We run the 12v fridge, 12v lighting, 12v fans, 240 volt electric jug, toaster, slow cooker, induction cooktop plus the myriad chargers for electronic devices, power tools and two electric MTB's through a 1800w PSW inverter when required so it has been well used over time as we either free camp or if in a park unpowered sites, one annual one for a month at a time at the beach. 60 odd kilos instead of the 140kg of AGM's we had initially.
I've also built and installed three other similar systems and fitted them to friends campers over the years, they too are still functioning well.
I guess this discussion is about drop in batteries with vastly different construction and often poor quality components that is a totally different kettle of fish which I have had no experience but having seen what people do to their AGM's I have no doubt they could easily kill a drop in lithium battery.
AnswerID: 644760

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 16:16

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 at 16:16
I put after sales service above price and also warranty V price are an important factor

Sure some manufacturers offer big warranties and some are only prorated but your initial purchase price is usually 2-3 times the price of some of the cheaper offerings so the warranty doesn’t necessarily equate to a better value purchase
Also a lot of these boutique battery brands don’t have nationwide support so a warranty claim can be slow and you pay for freight across the country
AnswerID: 644763

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 08:02

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 08:02
My take on your original thoughts as to why the big name brands are not leaning towards lithium production is that they know it will be short lived, other chemistries are being developed as we write.
AnswerID: 644769

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 09:17

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 09:17
Ah QC, I dunno, think it through……
The vehicle manufacturer installs the smallest, cheapest battery that he can get away with….. a lead-acid.
So when that fails the car owner replaces it with the cheapest one that will fit…. a lead-acid.
So the big market for battery shops is the lead-acid. Simple for them…. just drop it in and bolt it down.
Why spend time trying to sell the customer an expensive Lithium and not see him ever again?

In retail sales there is an idiom…… "Get the product into the customer's hands and his money into your pocket as quickly as you can".

All the battery retailers have Lithiums for sale for those who want them.
When the car makers fit Lithium, the scene will change.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924916

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 07:33

Friday, Nov 24, 2023 at 07:33
Do your home work ..the big name manufacturers are leaning towards lithium...however cheap lead acid will suffice ofr majority of vehicles start batteries., as Alan B said.
FollowupID: 924938

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 09:06

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 09:06
Remember Kodak, they had the film market tied up. One of their scientists invented a novel device, the digital camera. The powers to be in Kodak had a dilemma, should they invest heavily in something that may never gain a foot hold as other companies had done and gone down the gurgler and that could challenge their core business? They decided to shelve it and so sealed their fate.

Present brand name companies are focused on their core business which is lead acid batteries and that is their main sales market. Companies these days don't want to spend money on research and development, for them to shift into manufacturing Lithium batteries is a big investment plus they are many years behind the competiton. The other big problem is which way to jump, first it was nickle cademium that was to be the game changer, then nickle metal hydride now Lithium plus there are many more mixes under developement.

One has to wonder about the future of such companies as Century batteries for instance given auto batteries in a few years will be for electric vehicles and the supply for these is already tied up with most electric vehicle manufactures already having preferred suppliers so it seems they have missed the boat there. Another big area will be home storage systems but again there are already a lot of key players in that area.

Would image that the "big names" who have missed the boat will eventually go down the path of making batteries under licence to the established companies in other areas once the dust settles somewhat.

As to what battery to buy, I went with CALB cells as they were an established company and I knew what I was getting. If buying a drop in I would ask who makes the cells and what are the specs for the cells if they can't tell you that a lot won't be able to then I would give them a miss. The ones you then have left you can do some research on ie customer reviews etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644770

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 10:29

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 10:29
A lot of interest in what lithium cells as such but nobody ever worried about where the lead acid cells were coming from.
To the best of my knowlege when I got out of retail there were only 3 major cell manufacturers in the world and all Australian companies were buying from these 3 companies made to order.
Same goes for the poly cases, ever notice many look the same except the colour.
Any company that claims made in Australia really means they put the imported cells in the imported cases and fill them with electrolyte made with imported sulphuric acid, the lables MIGHT be made in Australia.
FollowupID: 924917

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 13:00

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 13:00
Yep, there were once even businesses in Australia providing *replated batteries* where they re-used the cases, a bit like retreaded tyres. They were essentially new batteries except for the cases. There were two such businesses in Adelaide so must have been quite a few Australia wide.
Century Batteries still proclaim to manufacture in Australia (see here) and there may be others. It can be difficult to determine as the advertising often implies that the product is "Made in Australia". I have recently seen several suppliers branding their product with *Made for Australia* with the "for" in small dim lettering and the rest in bold type. Very deceitful. I would not knowingly purchase from such companies.

As for the labels, I bet even they now come from China.
A few years back I ordered some *Made in Australia* labels from our stationary supplier. I was dismayed to find in small print on the box…….. yep, you guessed it……. *Made in China*!!!!

At least I was made in Australia…. From earlier imported materials of course. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924918

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 13:32

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023 at 13:32
Much earlier in my working life in the PMG I was unpacking some equipment with cardboard packaging and noticed that the labelling on each side of the box differed. One side said "Made in Australia", presumably referring to the contents as the other side said "Grown in Australia".
FollowupID: 924919

Reply By: Kenell - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 12:55

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 12:55
Ross, I have been following responses to your post with interest as I have also been contemplating such an upgrade. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet and the thing that is influencing me at the moment is the change in rules concerning battery placement that for all intents and purposes came into play last week. My understanding is that if I replace my 2 x 120a/h agms with one or two Lithiums I now have to place them external to the living space. If however I replace with new AGMs - all good. Similarly lithium to lithium but in the unlikely event someone was to go lithium to AGM it would also trigger the need to place them externally. The rules don't differentiate the type of battery only the change. All new vans have to have them outside effective from 18/11/23.

Sorry if I am introducing a red herring to your thread but its not far off topic.

Kenell
AnswerID: 644780

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:08

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:08
Hi Kennell,
Are you referring to the recently issued AS/NZS 5139? If so, that does not apply to recreational motor vehicles. It is for batteries in solar systems used in residences and commercial buildings for voltages above nominal 12 volts. (Link here)

I know of no Standards or regulations relating to motor vehicles.
If there is such regulations, could you please point to them?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924923

Follow Up By: Kenell - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:19

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:19
Hi Allan,
To add context, we have been looking at vans for a little while as we contemplate our future travelling arrangements and first became aware of these changes when we noticed all new vans had the batteries located in an external box - generally below the chassis. The sales people explained it to us and I have been awaiting the legislation which seemingly has to be passed in each state (and NZ) but the rules were introduced on 18/11/22 which gave 12 months for everyone to fall in line.

The attached link might explain in more detail.

RV Electrical changes

Kenell
FollowupID: 924924

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:43

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 13:43
Thanks Kenell for that information. It relates to AS/NZS 3001, Electrical installations—Transportable structures and vehicles.
I had missed this revision. As a registered holder of the Standard I should have received advice of it, but did not. I will obtain the update and educate myself. It certainly looks significant.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924925

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 14:10

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 14:10
Here is a video from Enerdrive explaining the basics
https://youtu.be/VqB3oiGYu2o?si=dPnLVhRscXTazJJU
FollowupID: 924926

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 15:38

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 15:38
"External to the living space" means SEALED from the living space, just like a gas bottle compartment in a motorhome.
The compartment also needs to be vented "according to the battery manufacturer's requirements" (or words to that effect, if I recall correctly) which is going to be more interesting in many cases.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924928

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 16:56

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 16:56
From what I’ve read, you can still keep the Lifepo4 batteries under the bed/couch/cupboard, but they must be in a sealed enclosure(mentioned by another) which is vented to the exterior of the van/MH.

If you were wise enough to purchase a Kokoda van, then you already have 2 external battery holders on the chassis, on the off side.

Back to original question. One needs to work out what use one is going to demand of this new battery. As well as length of warranty, price, delivery time etc, one needs to decide just how much heavy stuff is going to hang off it. If it’s just a fridge & few leds, then 50-100A discharge current may be ample. But once you’re talking inverters of 2K-3Kw, then you’d need a battery from 200Ah & above & discharge current at least 250A.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924929

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 17:15

Thursday, Nov 23, 2023 at 17:15
I have discovered that my account with SAI Global (Australian Standards) was corrupted. It is being corrected and I will soon have access to the new Standard AS/NZS 3001 so will then be able to refer first-hand to the information we are discussing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924930

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 19:03

Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 19:03
OK, I have now had the opportunity of perusing the new standard AS/NZS 3001 and it certainly is of significance to many, perhaps most, of the vehicles and trailers that we people own and operate.
Being a subject of importance I will open a new thread rather than deal with it here.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925006

Reply By: StormCamper - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 02:17

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 02:17
Its truly a land mine out there, I just brought a DCS 180AH, and as impressive as its energy density is, I have no way of knowing what its quality is. Other DCS reviews of poor life under bonnet suggest their cells are average so I'm worried.

Generally you buy a cheap battery its overall crap with average quality but non the less fairly good for shorter periods, you buy a top brand and ~40% of the price is in overheads with some possible awful design flaws, thats just how the world works. I could never spend the money on a red arc or victron without knowing exactly the quality of cells.

They all pretty much have the same internal engineering and quality of cells, none I have seen strike me as stand out. I have used alot of dropins over the years from torture testing various monitors.

At some point you realize these batteries are a liability, they work well but when they pack up your left stranded with a warranty worth as much as the paper its printed on.

For me as a guide, I look for energy density, being backed by a large mob, giving some indication the battery is intended for outback use, price per ah, "warranty" period LOL,

Parallel use requirements:

1- each battery must be able to deal with the bank's max draw. the cells in each 12v batt must be limited to 1C discharge (dont listen to the nonsense of 2-3C), the bms must be able to handle the max draw on the whole bank, with mosfets as switches that means they need to be programmed right.

2- each batterys bms must be able to handle the transient on long inrush currents and disconnect/reconnects. as a battery reconnect at low soc the others might discharge heavily into it for a short period, the bms may see this and keep disconnecting as it thinks its too high, so a delay in shut off would be needed.

3-all the pos and neg cables from each battery must have same resistance (balanced), ignore some unscrupulous li battery installers who tell you lithium in parallel is bad, they spread lies.
Enerdrive made an embarrassing video once saying you cant parallel which showed their misunderstanding of how solid state switches work.

4-the crucial overlooked point is the batteries must be top balanced! which means simply charging them all to ~14.4v taper current 0, this means they will all get to the bottom perfectly. Again some li battery installer goes around saying they each deliver different amps, that is exactly what they are suppose to do! You dont worry about them all giving different amps, you worry they all have the same soc (voltage) which is obtained by top balance. be carful of unscrupulous people who dont really understand electrical theory and physics.

li is easy, but some basic knowledge is needed.

AnswerID: 644847

Sponsored Links