Puncture in The Outback

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 23:26
ThreadID: 146608 Views:2065 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Mike and Kendra here- we've had our share of punctures but this one was really unlucky. Stinking hot, middle of no where and a wheel that decided it wasn't going to budge off the hub. Too many creeks and mud . Not to mention that this object wrecked a perfectly good tyre.

Puncture in The Outback
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2023 at 12:07

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2023 at 12:07
25000 km and only one puncture, you are doing well. It's always a groan when the new tyre gets the puncture and not the old that's on its last legs. But why are you still up in the NT at this time of year? 42 degrees is most unpleasant.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644856

Reply By: Member - stulandr - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 16:37

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 16:37
I notice you're running the Wildpeak AT3's like me.Mine are coming to up replacement and wondering if it's worth paying extra for the 122's over the 114's for the extra load rating and sidewall strength. Not may tyres going to stop a blade like that though!
Not all those who wander are lost.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644864

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 16:46

Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 16:46
I have 121’s. Starting to get near end of their lives but have been very reliable. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy Wildpeaks again . Only disadvantage is they aren’t readily available in many areas out of the cities. We detoured from Mt Isa to Rockhampton to get a tyre .
FollowupID: 925056

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 17:33

Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 17:33
From my perspective..........
Increasing the load rating of your tyres is typically a useful move unless....
Increasing the strength of the sidewall is usually a double edged sword.

As an explanation.....
I use a Michelin tyre with a very high load rating. It has just one steel ply in the side walls. Nothing else. That is all. So the sidewall is very flexible, it airs down well and it stays relatively cool.
The typical method of "increasing sidewall strength" is to move from 2 plies to 3 plies. This has some benefit UNTIL you air down and then you find that the sidewalls are stiffer and when aired down create a lot more heat. Heat is the enemy of tyres and that extra heat can quickly and easily damage tyres from the inside.

My choice is to maximise load rating and minimise side wall (actual, not "rating", whatever that is) plies and thickness in order to minimise heat generation.

ps .... For the tyre I use, Michelin actually specify tyre pressures relative to vehicle load and speed while aired down. One of the only manufacturers I have seen that does this.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925057

Sponsored Links