Suggestion to Michelle & David

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 17:08
ThreadID: 146625 Views:1607 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Increasingly new vehicles are coming out with Android auto and Apple CarPlay option for the head units.

Unless the app developer has made their app compatible with the above then the OEM screen is useless.

Consequently, there are many after-market head units to replace OEM units that are Android or Apple compatible and so apps can be downloaded for whatever purpose. We replaced the head unit in our 200 series for that very reason.

We had a GPS receiver malfunction in our head unit this winter on a trip and we needed Exploroz traveler to be working as that is our navigation program.

So, I had the smart idea of using my phone/tablet to broadcast Android auto and thought that would work.

Well, of all the apps on our Android devices the only functioning was Maps me. So, in my opinion Android auto for the purposes that most of us might use off grid/ out of mobile signal is useless.

I contacted David why it wasn't working and he informed me that to rejig (or a major makeover?) to make the Traveller app Android auto compatible was a major task and unlikely to happen.

I'm hoping that at some stage in the near future David might be considering getting Android Auto up and running?

Its crazy spending upwards of $140 - to $200 k on a new vehicle and have to replace the head navigation unit!

Hope your reading this David :)

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 17:25

Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 17:25
Why don’t you buy a Bad Elf & Bluetooth it to the partially functioning head unit? Probably be more efficient & save you the cost of buying/fitting new head unit?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644874

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 17:29

Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 17:29
Its crazy spending $140 to $200 k on a vehicle full stop!!!
AnswerID: 644875

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:13

Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:13
Look at the pricing of a 300 series or a RAM
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 925080

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 18:10

Saturday, Dec 09, 2023 at 18:10
If you offline download Google maps for the trips you plan it works extremely well with navigation and turn by turn where there is no coverage with AA and Airplay.
AnswerID: 644876

Reply By: Briste - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 08:38
I used to share bungarra's view. Then Michelle made a detailed post explaining what would have to happen to make a version compatible with Android Auto (don't recall about Apple CarPlay). In effect it would need to be a separate app, and the constraints that Google place on mapping apps on AA would make it more like Google Maps on AA than the EOT app you know. At this point I bought a tablet mount for my vehicle and display it just above the head unit. Like you, I was reluctant to replace a perfectly good head unit (with a poor OEM mapping system) in a new vehicle.
AnswerID: 644880

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 09:15

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 09:15
The problem is not with David, but with the coneheads at Android!
I have a Vhedia unit which works perfectly with all the apps installed including Exploroz.
Android Auto is a dog app!

OBJ
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

AnswerID: 644881

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 12:16

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 12:16
You can use Car Play already with an AI Adaptor box. Have a look at this video we made a week or two ago. Also on the ExplorOz Traveller page you will find a few choices documented for the AI boxes (around 200-300 bucks).
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644883

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 16:09

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 16:09
Great video David, but.........

You mention you were in a VW Polo that did not have wireless connection for Apple Car Play.

Our DMax has like most new vehicles has Car Play as standard, but here may raise an issue.

For some reason (does not effect me or Apple user) users with Android phones have to connect their phone via the in car USB to get Car Play to work, but any Apple user, you do not have to connect your phone via USB, only to keep it charged as it connects wirelessly.

The Polo Car Play screen looks very similar, but not all apps can run on the Apple Car Play in our Isuzu.
Do you know if your travellers app is 100% be accepted and then utilise the app on the cars 10" screen?

As you know, I still run Ozi on my laptops and for accurate off road moving maps use the latest Hema HX2.

If i use Apple Car Play, I only have the choice of either Google or Apple Maps, but would be great to get your app if it is accepted.

There must be lots of new DMax's around your area to try this out, and see how it goes wirelessly. I know there must be thousands of other people like me that have Car Play as standard, that works fine and would not spend more dollars on a new head unit that runs your app.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925070

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 06:43

Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 06:43
Yes Stephen,

My Wife’s new Subaru Outback has an Android head unit, she has to use a cable to connect her iPhone to the unit, it will not connect wirelessly. She has her own selection of music on her phone that she prefers to listen to. Not that we use her car for touring, but the on board mapping system is not as good as Google Maps. She actually prefers to use Google Maps, which means she has to use the cable to connect her phone.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925074

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 09:36

Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 09:36
Stephen L - the AI box adapter that we are demonstrating here is designed to put an Android operating system in front of your headunit (for all vehicles factory fitted with CarPlay). The headunit needs a USB to connect the box (like an Android phone). In doing so the AI box itself becomes middleware and if you use iPhones they will connect to the headunit wirelessly.

The AI box means the headunit can access the full range and Android apps via Google Playstore - therefore the owner can purchase and download the Traveller app to the box but viewed on the headunit.

The box can then be unplugged and taken to another car with any other CarPlay headunit and plugged in and then the application (and maps) will display on that headunit - no setup required.

After doing this demo we also plugged it into a Triton with CarPlay headunit,

So the AI box is the solution for any CarPlay headunit. All it needs is a usb connector.

Hope this clarifies any confusion.

PS: On our Traveller article we have a section called FAQ and the first point is Headunits and the list of recommended solutions is there including brands/models and links to AI boxes available for sale that other app users have told us they are using and that we’ve researched.

Regards Michelle
PS we woke up this morning on the Holland Track.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925076

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 14:26

Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 14:26
Thanks. Much appreciated, guess I should searched on here first :)
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 925078

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:25

Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:25
I'm a little confused between the interchange of carplay and Android auto in references to these AI boxes.

I know it refers to the Apple ios or the Android operating system.

Now I've been made aware of these AI devices my query is simply this.

Does it work on the head unit of a 300 series GXL? (It has Apple carplay and Android auto).

Secondly, does it need connection via USB or wireless?
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 925081

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:59

Tuesday, Dec 12, 2023 at 07:59
Just another follow-up Michelle or David.

The unit that David tested on the Polo is not one of the two units in your link?

What is the brand of the Unit that David tested please on the Polo.

Also on your video, I am correct that if you do purchase an AI unit, you must install the Traveller app for Android, even when you are using an Apple phone?

Cheers
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925082

Sponsored Links