Snatching off the tow ball again?!

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 11:15
ThreadID: 146628 Views:1798 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Watched the ABC's Bill Bailey In WA" (or similar named show) last night. In a brief scene he "assists" (watches) as someone snatches a vehicles from the sand. Though very briefly shown, it appears the lead vehicle driver (or other person involved) simply throws the end of the strap over the tow ball. Watched it twice and fairly certain this was the case. Yep, went back and clipped the image below.

Both fairly new vehicles and there are obviously much greater numbers of people travelling now. How does the information about the potential devastating consequences of doing this get out to these people?

It certainly doesn't appear to have done so yet...

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 11:41

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 11:41
I know that there is no excuse, but it looks as though they were in a hurry, judging by where the water is.
Life? Vehicle ?
Mmmmmmm

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644882

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 13:44

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 13:44
Don't stress the sky isn't falling when I saw it I was expecting the 4wd sites to light up. Although I haven't done it for a long time that's what we done in the late 80's and through the 90's and was maybe lucky enough to have no failures. Or maybe they were better quality than some of the cheap inferior rubbish around these days. We just didn't go stupid at it like lots do we used inch thick hemp rope doubled up which ment you usually took the weight up first the both drove together. If that didn't work out come the tirfor. I have used snatch straps on them as well but hey that's what lots of people done so I don't freak out but that makes me reckless in the eyes of some.
Some people won't even use a snatch strap because of the fear snowballed out of control generated by a few from failures they have seen without really looking at the circumstances they were used under each to their own depending on their experiences an not what they just read.
AnswerID: 644884

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 14:10

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 14:10
Not stressed and well aware this has been done many times. Mainly why I pointed out the vehicles are fairly new. However, the idea we did it and worse in the past doesn't hold water for me. There were also many more incidents which could have been prevented in the past. We had far more drink driving, no child seats, didn't have to wear seat belts in the past. I don't see that as a reason to ignore risk now.

Besides, many times we took precautions knowing the equipment was precarious (as you mention). I see this woman casually throwing the strap loop over the ball (as if it's not the first time?) but don't see any of the assessment you mention. How deep was the vehicle bogged? How much tension would be required to release it? Look at the number of people standing around, close to both vehicles.

I rarely use a snatch strap, I'd rather use other methods, leaving the snatch as a last resort. However, in lightly bogged (particularly soft, dry sand) situations, with the appropriate recovery points it is quicker than lowering pressures or getting out the Treds/Maxtrax (both of which are, in most circumstances, preferable alternatives).

The ball doesn't have to break, just the strap slipping off (as can happen if the angles change) could do serious damage to one of those bystanders. Yes the risk is not as high as sometimes imagined, yes the vehicles appear in good condition, but isn't it a better idea to eliminate the practice as much as possible?

FollowupID: 925069

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 15:41

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 15:41
Doesn't look like towball to me. It would present as a larger lump under the snatch loop for sure.
Also there appears to be a rod or something at the top of the "so called" towball! It seems to be a peg type DROP ON and maybe the top horizontal bit to stop the strap flipping off. No blanket or arrester at either end though.

The ball or hitch pin is way too far rearward of the vehicle for my liking. ie, tail wags dog when towing!
AnswerID: 644885

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:18

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:18
Definitely a towball (I think the "pin" is simply a shadow or something in the water). Clearer to see when viewing the episode.
FollowupID: 925073

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 17:50

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 17:50
Snatching off and jacking off etc
4wders have some interesting words to describe their activities :))) lol
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644886

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:08

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:08
Yeah snatching out of a bog or using a snatch block. jacking off used by a few I guess in the 4wd world but you can buy a jackoff camper from Jackoff the company.
FollowupID: 925071

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:17

Sunday, Dec 10, 2023 at 19:17
Could be worse, could be a 4wding plumber. For them it's all about nipples, cocks and easy-hookers!
FollowupID: 925072

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 08:10

Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 08:10
I hope it isn't a number of plumbers together, because that is called a "Crack of Plumbers"!
FollowupID: 925075

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 10:41

Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 10:41
Just have a look at the numerous 4wd you tube clips featuring numbskulls in their 4wd,s. No wonder jacking off and cocks is a common phrase.
FollowupID: 925077

Sponsored Links