Road condition - Silver City Highway NSW border to Noccundra Hotel

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 08:34
ThreadID: 146639 Views:1283 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been through the Silver City Highway recently - I understand that the NSW side is now fully sealed, but I'm interested in the road condition from the Qld border to Noccundra hotel. Looking to do it in an AWD SUV before Xmas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 11:47

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 11:47
Best to check the outback road reports and shire information. There's been a lot of rain out there over the last couple of weeks and as a result roads are closed to prevent damage. NSW traffic report is one place and I suggest the VIC in Broken Hill too

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644887

Follow Up By: Doc - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:13

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:13
Hi Rob, the road I'm asking about is in Qld, and the Bulloo Shire website looks like it was written by the local primary school. Thanks though.
FollowupID: 925085

Reply By: Sir Kev - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:33

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:33
The Bulloo Shire is busy working on that section and have sealed some of it on the Noccundra end.
Driving to the conditions, I don't see why you would have any major issues driving it. Although if it rains then that could change things.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644888

Follow Up By: Doc - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:14

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:14
Thanks Kev, I've been on the road before (20 years or more ago) so was really after recent experience. They'll close it if it rains.
FollowupID: 925086

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:17

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:17
Doc,

Call the Shire office and ask to speak with George the Shire Engineer, he will give you the latest on the conditions and details on how far they have gotten with the road works.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925087

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:35

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:35
If you're vehicle survives the roads in and around Broken Hill it'll be fine. Can't believe a mining town that big has such bad roads in these modern times. Maybe there's no money left in the budget to fix them it was all spent on promoting tourism in the area. Also the road to Silverton is shocking for a sealed road it should have been left dirt, just watered and graded regularly.
AnswerID: 644889

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 17:00

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 17:00
Well, right now it is closed to all traffic...

https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/.

It does dry out fairly quickly in that area, but there has been some consistent rain recently. Keep your eye on the roads website.

Either way, if you are camping at the billabong near the pub (and it is well worth doing) at the very least take fly head-nets. A screen room is preferable, or you'll be stuck in the van/car all the time (or eating flies regularly)! Who knows, maybe the rain will keep them down?

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 644895

Follow Up By: Doc - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:20

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:20
Thanks Mark, that is valuable info. I found the Bulloo Shire road info, but while it says there is a hazard it doesn't say it's closed. I hadn't found the Qld traffic site, so thanks. Going early next week so hopefully will be open by then.
FollowupID: 925088

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 07:16

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 07:16
I just noticed that warning says "Last Updated 26 September"!

Perhaps ignore my suggestion and keep in contact with the shire (which provides the data to Qld Roads anyway). If accurate on the update that's a pretty poor showing by a government department...

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 925090

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 19:14

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 19:14
Doc.
This isn't about road conditions but the vehicle. Which AWD are you using?
I ask because some people regard AWD as all encompassing. A Subaru will drive the 4 wheels all the time but most SUV types DO NOT. Only when the front drive system begins to lose traction and slip does the system then allow drive to the rear wheels.
If in a situation where there is front wheel slippage the Subaru continues regardless, other have to continually connect drive to the rear and then off again, as the system detects need and then not needed. This continual action causes high wear on the connecting clutch. When it get worn or destroyed because of repetitive use, it is then 2 wd only forever. Subaru still going strong! Unfortunately many of these intermittent types are labelled AWD for sales reasons.
AnswerID: 644897

Follow Up By: Doc - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:22

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 20:22
No, pretty sure the question was only about the road conditions. The vehicle is fit for purpose. Thanks anyway for replying.
FollowupID: 925089

Reply By: Briste - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 09:32

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 09:32
A couple of belated comments. I can't comment on recent conditions. I drove the road towards the end of winter 2022. It's quite remote, but didn't strike me as anything other than another outback dirt road, i.e. not difficult if you drive sensibly and cautiously in response to the conditions.

My experience with the Qld live traffic site this year in SW Qld didn't inspire with confidence in it, although that may reflect more on the performance of the councils in this region. The Bulloo shire is very small population-wise and must have limited resources. I agree with the suggestion to call someone, I'd be inclined to call the Noccundra pub to check current conditions. When we drove it last year, 20-25kms of the road south of Noccundra was sealed and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't more now

Noccundra is a great place to camp for a day or two. Excellent camping beside the waterhole. You need to be self-contained, but there are showers and toilets at the hall adjacent to the pub. I can highly recommend the lamb shanks at the pub, the best anywhere, but you need to book and pre-order, and IIRC the kitchen is closed on Tue. There is Optus reception there now, but as of a few months ago there was no Telstra. I've seen reports of some sort of wi-fi at the hall, but can't confirm.
AnswerID: 644900

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 10:50

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 10:50
Briste,

"When we drove it last year, 20-25kms of the road south of Noccundra was sealed and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't more now"

Is that 20-25km from the main highway to the pub? as they have only started sealing from the Racecourse turnoff on the southern side of the Wilson river south as of the 1st week of September this year.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925096

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 13:44

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 13:44
I meant south from Noccundra, so in addition to the 20-odd kms from the highway to the pub.

I recall this as we had camped overnight at Noccundra last year, and were about to head south. So I aired down in the believe that the dirt started just south of the pub, as that's what the maps said at the time, incl EOT. But it didn't and I had to drive more slowly than the road required until we hit the dirt. It looked to be recently sealed.

I didn't measure the distance exactly, so 20kms is a bit of an educated guess. Looking at EOT now it seems to indicate about 20kms sealed south of the pub. I was there again this year at the beginning of Aug, and didn't cover that section this time. I'm a bit puzzled as to what they were sealing around Noccundra. I'd have expected them to continue from where it finished last year.

p.s. You can see the bitumen I'm referring to if you compare EOT 21 & 23. It wasn't there in the 21 map, which is what I had last year, but is there now in the 23 edition.
FollowupID: 925101

Reply By: Doc - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 16:19

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 16:19
Just to follow up, I called Bulloo shire this morning. The engineer (George I assume) was out checking the roads, but they directed me to a document on their website (rather than the map I was looking at) which they say will always have the most updated info. The road is currently open, but drive with caution. They said they had rain recently and its just a bit chopped up. They will update the doc tomorrow, and I'm not leaving till early next week. The Transport Qld site is wrong and obviously out of date.
AnswerID: 644908

Reply By: Member - Harry C - Saturday, Dec 16, 2023 at 10:27

Saturday, Dec 16, 2023 at 10:27
Went through there two months ago 79 series towing offroad caravan. No problems.
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644923

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 at 17:47

Monday, Dec 18, 2023 at 17:47
Hey Doc, if you are passing through Thargomindah (home of the Bulloo Shire Council) ask for 'Tractor Ferguson' and tell him your opinion of their website. Let me know if it's going to happen…. I would like to watch on. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644934

Follow Up By: Doc - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 at 21:02

Monday, Dec 18, 2023 at 21:02
Not going through Thargo - been there too many times in my life already. I'd be happy to point out the inconsistencies in their website, and also happy to defend myself to a tractor:)
FollowupID: 925140

Sponsored Links