Samsung tablet shutting down due to overheat.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 13:05
ThreadID: 146651 Views:1161 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a Samsung tablet which says Exploroz is over heating the tablet and shutting down
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 13:28

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 13:28
It would help if you provided more details of the tablet and the circumstances in which it shuts down.
AnswerID: 644890

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 13:29

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 13:29
G'day Datto,
I have had discussions with Michelle & David about this happening on my Google Pixel 6 & this is what I have done following some testing & advice from them.
1. I have taken the windscreen mounted holder off & mounted the phone lower down in the car.
2. Reduced the screen brightness.
3. Ensure the phone is fully charged prior to setting out.

This issue is not specific to the Traveller App as I found Navigating with Google maps also overheated my Pixel Phone.
The above 3 steps have solved the issue but it does make navigation a bit more difficult in low light.

One more thing. When travelling in NP's using Geo Referenced NP PDF maps using Avenza maps my Pixel phone also overheated.
Clearly it's a phone issue using the inbuilt GPS & full screen brightness on a hot day.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 644891

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 15:21

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 15:21
I also have a Pixel 6 which I sometimes window mount and I haven't had that problem so far. The phone gets hot, as it connects to Android Auto wirelessly via an AAWireless dongle (note - not an AI box) but that's still not enough to shut it down.
FollowupID: 925083

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:16

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:16
Interesting?
My Pixel 6 does not overheat when navigating if the charge cable is unplugged or the battery charge is 100% when I plug it in.
It also runs cooler with the screen dimmed down.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 925084

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:34

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:34
Strewth, Datto , be careful with your headlines .......... I nearly had a heart attack !!!!!! :)

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644892

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:50

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 16:50
Datto

Many devices are not made to operate at the temperatures experienced on the dash or near front of dash. Mazda screens shut down when in hot situations unless shielded from through screen heat.

Even if you turn down the brightness and charge it before use, to avoid the high heat input while charging from depleted, the device will still get hot. In QLD it is hot most of the time. Read below:

Pixel 6 Samsung similar specs, similar technology.
Safety & regulatory guide for Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro

Google Support
https://support.google.com › answer
Operating temperature. Do not use or charge the phone at ambient temperatures lower than 0°C (32°F) or higher than 35°C (95°F). If the interior temperature ...
Most, if not ALL dash areas can be more than 35C on 20 degree days.
Most people are HEAT STRESSING their Nav systems all the time.
In a vehicle, even on a cooler day the, radiant heat will near the shutdown temp of most devices. In screen head units might not fail, because of aircon and being shielded from direct radiant heat.
Has nothing to do with the app running unless it is messy programming and chews juice.

Leave your mobile phone on the dash to see if it likes the hot torch treatment! especially on a dark dash mat.
I am not at all surprised they shut down.
AnswerID: 644894

Reply By: kgarn - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 17:38

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2023 at 17:38
I have my tablet mounted on the dashboard such that it is cooled by the a/c outlet. It operates well in extreme outside temperatures. The only time I would have a problem is if the a/c is off or I leave the vehicle parked in the sun.

It is not an ExplorOz problem. It is caused by ambient conditions.
AnswerID: 644896

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 06:39

Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 06:39
Hi Datto,

I do not believe the app is the problem. I believe it is your device being on the dash that is the issue. Even the Hema HX2 instructions states placing the unit on the dash in the sun may cause the unit to overheat and stop working. In any case, try logging a request with the help desk rather than the forum.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644899

Sponsored Links