Cuppa's Blog - Remote area touring outfit up for sale

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 20:39
ThreadID: 146738 Views:1676 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks, the time has come to sell our trusty outfit - I'll place an ad here at Exploroz,
but encourage you to check the whole package on our blog.

https://cuppa500.com/Blog/remote-area-touring-rig-for-sale/

The end of an era, feels a bit like selling our baby, but we are moving on to a rig which will allow us to continue to travel in a similar manner, but with greater ease we hope , in light of our age related reduction in physical capabilities. The new vehicle is an expedition truck, & although we don't actually have it yet we are now it's registered owners. More to be revealed once we actually have it in our hands.

We thought the Patrol & Tvan would see us out & have cared for it accordingly, but now it is ready to provide another couple with the reliable & confidence inspiring means of exploring some of Australia's remotest corners
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: North 200 - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 08:51

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 08:51
AnswerID: 644943

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 09:05

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 09:05
Nice one North 200. Ta. That would have been in July 2019. :)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 925154

Follow Up By: North 200 - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 09:12

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 09:12
Yes, 2019Easter till September
We were camped near you
FollowupID: 925155

Reply By: Brenda G - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 23:14

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 23:14
Wishing you a smooth transition to your new expedition truck! Your dedication to exploring Australia's remote corners has been inspiring
AnswerID: 644949

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Dec 22, 2023 at 09:02

Friday, Dec 22, 2023 at 09:02
I look forward to hearing more about your new truck, we are heading down the same path
AnswerID: 644954

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Dec 25, 2023 at 19:26

Monday, Dec 25, 2023 at 19:26
I have revised my advertising - a hopefully more informative & readable 'first contact'.

Complete Remote Area Touring Package ready to & go, comprising a Nissan Patrol based camper & Tvan. Asking Price is $72,000 ONO for everything. However Patrol & Tvan can be sold separately ($50,000 & $26,000), if required.

Please Note: This is not your average 4wd + camper combo and we definitely consider that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts & well worthy your consideration.

Description
Embark on your adventures to the remotest parts of Australia, built for the full-time adventurer couple seeking the ultimate off road & off grid experiences. This vehicle owned by experienced travellers is set up to enable extended periods between need to resupply & it is this plus it’s 4wd capability & legendary reliability, which provides a travel experience normally reserved for much larger, heavier & more expensive ‘expedition trucks’.

Key Features

• 4x4 capability:
The reliability & capability of the diesel 4.2 litre Nissan Patrol motor is highly regarded, this one is still very ‘young’ with just 252,000kms. The last of the line with a turbo intercooled motor , with a regular service history from new. The motor has never been pulled down & still runs as new, using no oil between changes. It’s exceptional off road performance is complemented by a Harrop Eaton ‘E-Locker’ (Diff Lock). It’s 6 cylinder torque makes climbing dunes etc a relaxed affair when compared to it’s many higher revving alternatives.

• Extended off grid capability:
The combination of the solid build of both Patrol & Tvan provide the basis for safe & legal weight carrying, enabling sufficient supplies to be carried for up to two months at a time. Complementing this ( & integral to this extended travel time ability) an extended GVM, a separate fridge & freezer, a fully self sufficient power system, similar or better storage storage capacity to larger & heavier 4wd truck based expedition vehicles & water tanks with a combined capacity 230 litres of water, which can be extended further with use of extra jerry cans if required. Fuel range from the long range tanks when towing the Tvan off road is around 1000kms. With additional Jerry cans this is easily doubled . Storage space (not on the roof) for a max of 11 x 20l Jerry cans. We have never needed to carried more than 5, & only rarely filled more than 2. Our 230litres of tank water easily lasts us 3 weeks, & can be stretched to 4 & we have always found good water to top up with within that time frame, even in the remotest areas. Consider that buying this outfit will provide you with more than the average touring 4wd, & similar capabilities ( with less weight & better access on tighter trails) to an expedition truck costing 4 times as much!

• Comfort, convenience & Flexibility:
Sleeping under a hard roof on a queen size inner sprung mattress. Arrive, open rear hatch & you can be in bed in less than a minute. Our favourite way to camp - ‘a luxury swag on wheels’. Or put up the peg free tent in 5 minutes to double the interior living space. Or add one (or more) of the several included annexes/awnings for longer stays. Engine heated pumped hot water water always available on arrival at camp. Cost free & stays hot for up to 3 days. To reheat a short drive suffices. Included Thetford 365 Porta potti toilet. Whilst the full package enables extended periods of travel, the both Patrol & Tvan have kitchens, & a pair of unused 4wd mattreses & an OzTent RV3 are included - enabling the Patrol to be used for shorter times off grid - a week or 3 at a time if required. Radio/media players x 2 (Patrol & Tvan)

• Safety:
Front mounted vehicle winch, Full recovery kit, mostly unused, 2+1 spare wheels - all the same - interchangeable between Patrol & Tvan, Full travelling spares kit for both Patrol & Tvan, & many ‘redundancies’ built into the design so in the event of any failure, there are alternatives. Important when a long way from anywhere! Quality Icom 450 UHF with extension speaker close to driver’s ear.

• Thoughtful design: The design is one born of experience. Knowing what works. Eg. All storage is designed to avoid the need to move stuff to access other stuff. Ease of use being of far greater importance to the long term traveller than for short holiday breaks.

Balanced & 100% self sufficient Electrical Setup
• 3 x 120Ah Ritar Batteries (Replaced in 2020 after the first set of same Ritar batteries had lasted for 10 years)
• 425w of roof mounted solar panels - secure & fuss free.
• 40A Dc to Dc charger
• 30A mains charger (useful for when parked under cover for extended periods, but has *never* been needed whilst travelling due to sufficient battery capacity buffer against poor solar weather & the additional dc to dc charging from the vehicle when driving).
• 2 x pure sine wave inverters
• Fused 70mm2 connection between crank battery & Aux batteries enables all to be solar charged, all to be charged from a second mains charger in Tvan, Extended winching periods if required, & jump starting vehicle without jumper leads (turn of a switch).
• All circuits via individual Blueseas circuit breakers mounted in a Blueseas distribution board
• Power cable connection between vehicle & Tvan enables batteries to be charged in the sun whilst camped in the Tvan in the shade.
• Multiple LED lights
• 60 litre fridge (on slide) & 35 litre freezer (on slide).

Vehicle & Tvan Specs
• 2006 Nissan Patrol with solid aluminium rear canopy. Full service record since new. Always had 5000km oil & filter changes. A few modest modifications for reliability, comfort & pleasurable driving. Supplied registered, Roadworthy & ready for travel, wherever you wish to take it.
• 2010 Mk 2 Tvan with a variety of factory & aftermarket annexes/awnings. Also in ready to travel anywhere condition.
• Both the above were purchased to ’see us out’ & have been treated & cared for accordingly. Health now sadly makes an earlier than expected sale necessary.

Extras
• The complete package is being sold inclusive of everything required to drive away into the ’Never Never’ - camping equipment, spares, recovery gear, etc etc. All you need to add is personal belongings.
• Patrol GVM is 3900kg & Tvan GTM is 1250kg. With two people & everything packed for 2 months in the bush the travelling weight is around 5000kg for the complete outfit fully loaded. This is a little under the Patrol’s GVM & well under the Tvan’s GTM. Towball weight is usually around 110kg - depending upon how we pack.

Location Near Ballarat, Victoria.

For anyone wanting further (& extensive) information/photos please check this entry in our travel blog athttps://cuppa500.com/Blog/remote-area-touring-rig-for-sale/

To make further enquiry, please do so via the contact page on the blog at https://cuppa500.com/Blog/contact/ Phone number can then be provided to serious buyers.

AnswerID: 644966

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 08:53

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 08:53
Hi Cuppa
Your "for sale" rig would be perfect for a couple starting out , but also very attractive, maybe even more attractive , to an experienced person who wants a complete and reliable remote capable outfit.
Reading through the list I can't think of anything else that I would want , but of course everybody has different ideas.
Best of luck selling the rig, and I do hope it goes to someone who appreciates all the experience behind the "package".
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644979

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:08

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:08
Thanks Jim, my thoughts exactly, but very welcome to hear it from someone else - in light of what I considered a somewhat vaccuous comment I received on Facebook this morning - "Mmm - big bucks for an old Patrol".

My response was "Except what is being offered for sale is substantially more than that. I understand the sentiment, but feel that those experienced in the kind of remote outback travel this outfit is built for will recognise the value. Convincing anyone inexperienced may be a harder call. No offence intended".

And therein lies the problem, the number of inexperienced folk in the market undoubtedly way outnumber the experienced, & from what I can see, for many the quality of the wrapped graphics is more important than the essentials.

Hopefully some of those inexperienced folk might have an experienced ear to bend.

FollowupID: 925175

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Feb 03, 2024 at 13:31

Saturday, Feb 03, 2024 at 13:31
------------ SOLD----------------

AnswerID: 645201

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Sunday, Feb 04, 2024 at 12:05

Sunday, Feb 04, 2024 at 12:05
So did you get your $72k ?
FollowupID: 925484

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Feb 04, 2024 at 12:31

Sunday, Feb 04, 2024 at 12:31
Hi Wicket, no we reduced our price a bit in light of what appears to be quite a few Tvans having come onto the market in recent times which aren't selling, & with owners holding out for prices they would easily have got 12 months ago. We prioritised creating space in our shed. Sold on phone within an hour of price drop & received deposit next day. Following an independent mechanical inspection of the Patrol arranged by the buyers & getting a roadworthy, the new owners drove both Tvan & Patrol away a week later. We think they bought well, & the amount they paid was above our 'bottom line'. A win-win we think.

It has been noticeable that one or two others, having seen our sale, have now cut their price on their Tvans.
It's a buyers market generally & there are some bargains to be had at present. We don't think Tvans are worth less & still consider that a reasonable guide for the going rate for used Tvans in good order is basically what they cost when new, but with the current market as it is (folk generally having less to spend) anyone buying at present stands a good chance of buying one to use & later selling it for more than they paid assuming that prices will bounce back up to similar to what they have 'traditionally' been in the past.

As it is we think there was a good chance that if our buyers had not bought the Patrol that the inspector may well have done so himself , based on what he told the buyers.

FollowupID: 925486

Sponsored Links