Trying to locate flasher/blinker unit - 76 Series Landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 07, 2024 at 10:21
ThreadID: 146791 Views:1046 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to locate the blinker / flasher unit in my 2017 Landcruiser Workmate Station wagon. My manual says it is located above the clutch pedal, however no matter how much I twist and contort I have not been able to find it. I just want to swap it over with a new one. Appreciate any helpful advice, or the services of an attractive young gymnast/contortionist :) Thanks in advance!
OBJ
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Jan 07, 2024 at 12:48

Sunday, Jan 07, 2024 at 12:48
G'day Jack
Is it working or failed. They are usually VERY reliable.
My 60 series manual which also includes 70 series but doesn't specifically show the 70's diagram. Changes may have happened since then It shows the flasher to be the first one on the RHS of the dash , ie. the most rearward can immediately inside the corner of the dash. The edge where you hit your knee on, you know! It shows it in a relay bank, plastic base strip going from near that corner and progressing forward, next to it is heater relay and other bits too, headlight dimmer control and headlight control relay, ignition relay, taillight control relay.
If it sort of works and makes some noise you can use a piece of rubber fuel hose to your EAR and the other end aimed closely at various cans under there, The noise should be easily heard from that.
Turn signal has three pins, two parallel to each other with a third as a top bar.
If also used with the HAZARD switch it can be turned ON to hear/detect the unit. might help.

Unfortunately the cans are fairly high up under the dash. You could do what politicians do and use a mirror to LOOK INTO IT! LED torch makes it easier to see up there. If you see anything with a wattage on the case, ie, 2 x 21W that will be the one.
AnswerID: 645049

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 08:03

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 08:03
You’re going to need to lift your game, Ross!

Like you, I thought the flasher “can” was 3 pin, but it is now 8 pin, but still difficult to find. Read tales yesterday of blokes unable to remove the old unit, so just replaced it and fixed the new unit “somewhere” with 2 sided tape.

Anyway, I ordered a couple of eBay, so we’ll do some further investigation once they arrive.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925313

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jan 07, 2024 at 13:30

Sunday, Jan 07, 2024 at 13:30
Thanks for that. The "listening hose" idea is a good one. I was trying to use a screwdriver to find it by 'feel'. With my enthusiasm renewed I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciated!
OBJ
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645050

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:47

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:47
im wondering if your manual is not lhd models? Id expect it to be behind the side pillar near the accelerator, gone are the days of the can, now theres a speaker behind the dash that makes the noise, and the actual relay is in the fuse box
AnswerID: 645067

Sponsored Links