Troopy help - New gearbox etc. But got ping sound on takeoff in first

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 17, 2024 at 21:48
ThreadID: 147006 Views:1154 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Help all knowledgeable ones and if youre in Alice love a hand.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 10:37

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 10:37
Petrol or diesel?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645314

Reply By: angyri - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:16

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:16
Diesel.....ihz ...suggestion is rear uni joint
AnswerID: 645315

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:05

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:05
If you're not totally sure you could drop the rear drive shaft lock the hubs and take it for a spin as a front wheel drive. The last couple I've had replaced developed a click from the extra movement different vehicles to yours.
AnswerID: 645316

Follow Up By: angyri - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:41

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:41
Batt i dont really understand your answer or why id do that? Guess im seeking diagnosis help and then replacement help from anyone located in alice who knows their troopies.
FollowupID: 925600

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 09:42

Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 09:42
I can't explain it any easier as you weren't sure if it was actually the rear uni and you didn't mention who said it was if it was a qualified mechanical or just a mate. So all I was suggesting is process of elimination to isolate the problem.
FollowupID: 925612

Follow Up By: angyri - Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 10:13

Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 10:13
Mechanic at a distance. Knows his stuff though - Troopy wizard! But now far far away in Vic,
FollowupID: 925613

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024 at 14:32

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024 at 14:32
At a distance just guessing like everyone else so if you replace it and the noise is still there. A local mechanic with hands on is a better option.
I recently had my mazda cv's replaced by a local mechanic when I picked the car up he said the rear uni is clicking I said it's been making a noise for a little while so had it replaced next time . The good thing is he actually takes time to look for things he probably heard a noise when moving the car.
FollowupID: 925620

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:52

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:52
angyri
Any slight slack on a uni will make the tailshaft ping echo sound as the drive suddenly takes up. If you select reverse and move backward sightly the slack will be ready to sound, Then move forward and the ping will happen again. It is sometimes normal when the vehicle rolls to a stop and the diff is driving the tailshaft, ie any slack is opposite position, When taking off the slack takes up first, My HJ61 used to do it with perfect unis and can be a result of pinion/crownwheel tooth clearance. only takes a small amount and sudden drive to make them ping. Check the unis for any slack in rotation. If you have the transfer in neutral and rotate the pinion flange you will be alarmed at how much slack there rotating slack there is in pinion/crownwheel, diff carrier side gears and axle shaft splines. It all adds up. Easy check done with two large muti grip pliers to feel rotational slack between flange and tailshaft. ie between the yokes to "feel the uni" between.
I presume the slack isn't coming from the gearbox!
How much grease is in the slide joint?????Should be enough or there is no shock absorbing on the dry splines. If lots of K's then the splines will have rotational slackness too. Grease it a bit, see if ping goes away!
AnswerID: 645318

Follow Up By: angyri - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 13:02

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 13:02
RMD

While i read and absorb the rest of your generous reply....

what is the slide joint. Gearbox is BRAND NEW from Toyota. plus shaft and sleeve as well.

How much grease is in the slide joint?????Should be enough or there is no shock absorbing on the dry splines. If lots of K's then the splines will have rotational slackness too. Grease it a bit, see if ping goes away!
FollowupID: 925601

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 19:10

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 19:10
Angyri
The slide joint allows the tail shaft to slightly slide forward and aft as the rear suspension moves up and down. It is just rearward of the universal joint at the rear of the gearbox/transfer housing. IE, a thinner section bit
The other stuff I mentioned is simply to include the areas which can allow sudden rotation movement.

DON'T pump too much grease into the sliding joint. The only thing holding grease in there is a Welsch plug and it is peened in the centre of the uni yoke arms. if TOO MUCH grease is there the suspension movement will force the welsch plug out though hydraulic pressure. A couple of pumps only! Maybe three if dry. It will work it's way rearward.
FollowupID: 925609

Sponsored Links