80 series sub.tank

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 16:28
ThreadID: 147064 Views:859 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I have a 1991 hzj80 and the problem is when I switch to sub tank nothing happens, IE light does not come on. I have just replaced solenoids and switch.
( second hand but was told ok ) still nothing was working last time I used but was a while ago now. I have only plugged in new solenoids as I wanted to try first.. Anybody else had same problem? Thanks Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:12

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:12
Hi Andrew,
Just swapping associated components willy-nilly is not a good way to troubleshoot. Where do you stop before swapping the whole vehicle?
Do you have a voltmeter or test lamp. If so, start at the switch….. withe the ignition ON test between a good earth (body or chassis) to see if there is any voltage present on any switch pin, If not then search for a blown fuse. If a voltage is present, try searching for voltage on other pins and determine if the voltage is switched. If not then you probably have a faulty switch.
You could try testing at the connector at the solenoid with it unplugged from the solenoid but that can be difficult to make tester connections without some skills.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645374

Follow Up By: Andrew S3 - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:47

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:47
Thanks Allan just went to do as you said and noticed the light that comes on with Parker's not on light as there are 2 comes on with ignition and goes out when I turn lights. I have led park lights and HUD head lights could that be a cause? Thanks again Andrew
FollowupID: 925644

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:58

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 17:58
Geez, that beats me Andrew. I cannot comprehend what the park lights have to do with the fuel tank solenoid.
Maybe it would be better to do the test I suggested but with the engine actually idling rather than just switched-on?
You may need the services of a good auto electrician or mechanic.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925645

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 19:44

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 19:44
Not sure, but, the fuel system may have it's earth to negative at same points as other systems and likely near the front of vehicle/footwell. If that earth to negative lug is not firmly connected to the chassis/battery negative, you may be experiencing some feed back when lights or other systems are switched on. Maybe check ANY earthing to body that you can find and make sure they are clean and corrosion free. Any faulty one can be detected with a multimeter on voltage setting and read across wire lug and a good earth. If there is a voltage of any significance other than millivolts, clean it!
AnswerID: 645377

Follow Up By: Andrew S3 - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 20:27

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 20:27
Ok sounds like a plan I will take kick panels out tomorrow and have a butchers thanks for your help Andrew
FollowupID: 925646

Reply By: Andrew L - Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 22:39

Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 at 22:39
Both solenoids should click when sub selected, if they dont, check for volts when sub selected and work your way back, im sure there will be a fuse gone somewhere
AnswerID: 645381

Follow Up By: Zac S3 - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 19:39

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 19:39
Yes, it's very similar to the fuses.
FollowupID: 925671

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 07:02

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 07:02
Hi Andrew S3,

When I had a long range auxiliary fuel tank fitted to my 100 Series, the guys who did the install and wiring used a non genuine plug at the auxiliary fuel tank sender end. This resulted in the plug falling out of the socket on the auxiliary fuel tank. This meant that when I switched over to the auxiliary, nothing happened. It was eventually resolved by using cable ties to secure the plug into the socket. Lasted this way for another 6 years until I upgraded to a new vehicle.

Whilst I do not know how your auxiliary fuel tank is set up and connected, you may have a similar issue in that the plug and socket at the auxiliary fuel tank may have come apart, causing the solenoid valve to not open on command.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645383

Follow Up By: Zac S3 - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 19:42

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 19:42
6 years? You're a stand-up guy. I'd ask the guys to finish their work, because it's not finished if it's broken.
FollowupID: 925672

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:16

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:16
Hi Zac S3,

The full story for this was that I picked up the vehicle late on the Thursday before Easter, filled up the Auxiliary tank and tried I to switch on my way home, it would not switch over. I returned to the installer (ARB franchisee), but they had already closed for the Easter break. We were heading off on Easter Saturday for a 4 month trip.

I spoke to them on the phone the following Wednesday from Port Augusta, they asked me to bring it back and they would see what they could do. I advised them this was not possible, they responded by asking me to take it to any ARB franchise, and have that franchise contact them, and they would authorise any work to be completed under warranty. We did this when we got to Alice Springs three weeks later, where the cable ties were applied.

I took it back to the original installer on my return from the trip 4 months later, they apologised once again, and rechecked that the cable ties were secure. They gave me a $100.00 voucher for my troubles. When I enquired with “Longranger” regarding the plug for the sender on their tanks, they explained that the ARB franchisee had used an incorrect wiring harness for the 100 Series Landcruiser. I have not returned to that ARB franchisee even though it is only about 5 kms from my home, choosing instead to go to another franchisee about 20 kms away.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925676

Reply By: 2517. - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 12:03

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 12:03
The early models 100 series the reserve tank switch was built in to the circuit board in the dash,which had to removed and sent to Perth and a new board returned with the speedo set to original reading but of course this did not happen up the top of WA so it created a lot of problems.
AnswerID: 645386

Sponsored Links