…. Blimey!!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 09:50

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 09:50
Hi Allan

Hope you and Roz are going well….but there is no link to the story.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645384

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 09:56

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 09:56
Hi Stephen, sorry about that, I forgot to add the link.
Here it is.
Roz and I are going OK but incidentally, we drove along that road and camped at a rest area on our trip to Exmouth. Whew!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925649

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 11:06

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 11:06
Very scary indeed, but are we being told the true story?

Sounds like a road rage, and what was going on before the incident.

Either way a scene that no one ever wants to go through.

Hope the weather is being fair to you, and your not getting washed out.

Been warm down here, 41 during the week, cooled off to a perfect mid 20’s yesterday before getting warm again next week.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925650

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 14:35

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 14:35
Could well be Stephen. There is usually more to the story than the first report.
Maybe reprisal for 'unpaid goods'?
Time may tell. Or it may not?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925651

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 19:06
Still, absolutely NO excuse for that kind of violence.
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645389

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 08:48

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 08:48
Did someone offer an excuse?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925656

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:13

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:13
An arrest has been made and a man has appeared in court.

The newspaper report said the victim and accused know each other.

So likely personal issues.

Cheers
AnswerID: 645404

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 11:37

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 11:37
Thanks Rocco,

So. "...the victim and accused know each other."?
Surprise, surprise!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925683

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 13:08

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 13:08
Maybe a bit of the yellow stuff involved. ?
Does strange things to people.
Dave.
FollowupID: 925684

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:21

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:21
Perhaps some green vegetable matter might have been involved as well Dave.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925686

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 00:22

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 00:22
Even though it has turned out in this case that the pair were known to each other, and no doubt drugs were involved - there was a case further inland in 2016 where a psycho on drugs attacked a truckie in the mens toilet with a hammer, and did major damage to him.

The psycho druggie and the truckie were NOT known to each other.

The psycho got 6 years inside, and it was reported he'd stopped taking his medication and started hitting the drugs instead. He was out in 4 years (2021) and there's no guarantee he won't do the same again.

We recently went for an evening walk and came across a druggie going berserk in the street, and abusing and threatening all and sundry, throwing furniture into heavy traffic, and generally causing mayhem.

Not a copper in sight for all the time he was rampaging (over half an hour), of course.

There's a lot of nutcases on the loose out there, stay alert and stay safe.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-07/truckie-brutally-bashed-with-hammer-in-outback-service-station/7823444 (Meekatharra)

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/wa-man-jailed-for-truckie-toilet-attack-20170720-gxfgfk.html

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 645407

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 14:21

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 14:21
A very sad set of circumstances.

Without any intent to condone violence I do think it worth pointing out that we should be very careful not to inadvertantlyadvocate criminalising mental illness & those who suffer from it in none form or another.

As someone with a past professional history in psychiatry it saddens me to see a service capable of so much more treated as a political football when it comes to funding. I have little faith in todays mainstream Psychiatric services, & it angers me that those who need far more support in the community than they receive are left to their own devices & when because of their condition things go awry it is frequently the individual who is blamed.

Threads like this run the risk of re-stigmatising mental illness when what is really needed is increased community support.

Calling people ‘psychos & nutcases’, complaining about prison sentences & lack of police action I understand, but doing those things achieves absolutely nothing other than to further segregate those among us who more than anything need acceptance & a sense of belonging.

No one suggests that this is an easy task , or that it will be possible 100% of the time, but I do suggest that the sort of awful outcomes in this story might be reduced were society able to be more undersdtanding.

Also unhelpful is the almost automatic association anyone makes between ‘druggies’ & ‘psychos’. Not all druggies are violent, not all with mental illness are violent, not all with mental illness take illicit drugs, & often those who do, do so to self-medicate because some psychiatric drugs are damned unpleasant. It is human support that folk in that situation require, not segregation, not negative labelling. That human support needs to come jointly from caring & skilled professionals, & from a caring community. Both are lacking, & will continue to be so for as long as the ‘forgotten people’ are allowed to be so until something awful happens for which they alone are blamed. It’s a vicious circle which needs to be broken, & we are all part of the solution because we are all part of the community. It is not someone elses problem.

Ok - off my soapbox now …. no intent to single out anyone in particular here, it is a widespread & intractable issue.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 925701

Sponsored Links