Toilet Chemicals

Submitted: Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 00:26
ThreadID: 147079 Views:1791 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
We've been away from caravanning for a number of years now, but we're starting to get back into the lifestyle. On a recent trip I noticed a couple of caravan parks requesting residents not to empty chemical toilets into septic systems if they used nappi-san or similiar.

What is the preferred chemical or product to use in the toilets now?

Thanks for replies.

John
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 03:58

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 03:58
John,

We have overcome this problem by installing an SOG. No chemicals needed. Ours has been in for 3 years and no issues except no smells inside the caravan.

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/our-guide-to-caravan-sog-toilet-systems

Cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 645390

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 08:24

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 08:24
That is great but it doesn't address the question!
FollowupID: 925655

Follow Up By: Peter J4 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:56

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:56
RMD it sort of does as you no longer need any chemicals so the loo can be emptied into any toilet as it only contains poo, wee and paper.
We've also had a SOG on our loo since its installation in the Oka 14 years ago, never used chemicals.
FollowupID: 925677

Reply By: Member - Racey - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 09:35

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 09:35
We use Walex capsules. They are relatively inexpensive, convenient to use and very effective,
AnswerID: 645391

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:18

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:18
We also use Walex Bio-Pak sachets. They proclaim that they are "formaldehyde-free" and "septic tank safe". And there are other products that may be similar.
However, some people opt to use alternative products, not specific for toilets, that may be harmful to septic tanks.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925658

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:14

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:14
The active ingredient in "Nappi-san" and its competitive variants is sodium percarbonate which is an oxygenator and perfectly safe for use in septic tanks and effective in RV toilets. In fact it can aid the operation of aerobic septic systems.
Anyone who does not allow it does not understand the chemistry.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645392

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:40

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:40
You are right Peter. In the last 10 months we have looked after 8 property's, 7 being on septic's.
I have advised all that we use Napi- san or a generic so we can empty into a septic.

FollowupID: 925659

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:58

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:58
Septic tanks work on an anaerobic principle, caravan systems work on an aerobic principle. See my reply following this one.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925660

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:21

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:21
If they thought about it: most people would realize a septic system really doesn't have an air supply or oxygen as part of it's operation. I agree with Nomadic Navara as to the anaerobic nature of a septic tank. I used to live in a house with one and we were careful to not put other chemicals in the system for that reason.
A small amount of Nappisan might not affect it too much., perhaps.
So, we have both ends of the spectrum as being correct, Strange that!
FollowupID: 925662

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:27

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:27
RMD, if you were on a septic system, your laundry waste would not have gone through the septic system. Nappy-san would thus not have been a problem.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925664

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:30

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:30
Totally agree RMD, I bet most of the replies are from people that are on common effluent and would not even know what a septic tank is and how they work.

All country towns would all use septic tanks, as we do in my home town and one think you know is that you do not put chemicals into your septic tank.

The only thing that they do recommend is when it’s pumped out, a dead possum or cat in the empty tank will hurry up that bacteria grown in the tank and stop the smell.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925665

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:43

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:43
PeterD

Sounds like you do not have any idea on a septic tank system, sorry

When your house plumbing is done, including your toilet,, it is all gravity fed into your septic tank which has 2 chambers and all waste goes into the first chamber including solids.

Once the first chamber is full of mostly liquid, it then flows into the second chamber and the fist chamber fills over time with solid waste.

When the second chamber is full of liquid, that then drain out into a soakage pit.

By saying your laundry liquids don’t go into the septic tank is completely wrong, sorry.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925666

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:13

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:13
"Sounds like you do not have any idea on a septic tank system, sorry"

I am talking about the system I had at Mt Riverview and at the holiday cottage at St Georges Basin. It was the same with the systems I knew of in TPNG.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925667

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 15:02

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 15:02
We had a septic system at the house where we still live for 28 years.
ALL waste water (except storm water) went into the septic system.
We were not permitted to dispose of kitchen or laundry waste water any other way.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925669

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:54

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:54
Sound like a little education is required here. The site Septic tanks and On-site Wastewater Systems will give you the background of septic systems and a plenty more.

Scroll down to the heading "5.1 On-site system layout" an in that you will find "Septic tank: a primary treatment system that operates in an anaerobic mode, that is, with anaerobic bacteria that operate in an oxygen free environment." Anaerobic" and "oxygen free environment" are your keywords here. The "nappi-san" type chemicals work on an "aerobic" principle (the nappi-san produces oxygen.) So when you add the contents of an aerobic system (your potpie) into an anaerobic system (septic system) the aerobic contents attempt to kill a portion of the working system in the big tank. If there are a few of you do this, you can severely slow down the digestion action in the tank or kill it.

Just do what the park owner asks of you.

The authour of that site is well-trained in the uses and abuses of water. He runs Lanfax Laborities conducting soil and water analysis. He has studied things like caravan grey water (look for the link on the LHS of his pages.) He gave a talk to the members attending the NSW State Rally one year on the subject of grey and black water. His site will give you the answers to many things regarding water.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645393

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:27

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:27
Another view by Frans Harmer, industrial chemist.
Note in particular " by the time we dispose of it there will be no free oxygen".

"Bruce, if I may, I shall don my Industrial Chemist hat and offer an informed alternative view to those you have presented.

Sodium percarbonate is also known as Sodium Carbonate Peroxide (PCS) which is probably a better general description and its chemical name is Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate.

Its chemical formula is (Na2CO3)2(H2O2)3and as you can see there is a fair bit of oxygen there. Pure sodium percarbonate contains about 13% oxygen.

It is the product used in all those adverts you see for various products supposedly “oxygenated” and have that miraculous “oxi” or “oxy” action which includes those washing powders we put into our washing machines and where applicable into the septic systems.

The misunderstanding about PCS is the fact it is promoted as a bleach even if it is an oxygenating bleach.

We have all been brought up to consider bleach as evil in some regards. Unfortunately, this “bad bleach” is chlorine based like the stuff we throw in swimming pools to kill the bad bugs and if introduced into septics, it kills the good bugs. Formaldehyde which is contained in some of the chemicals for toilet casettes is also in this category.

So the problem here is the general reaction by those not knowledgeable in the difference, see the products containing PCS as a bleach meaning it is bad which is the opposite to the facts.

Just to clarify to some who may have seen other names for oxygenating bleaches, there are 3 types of oxygen bleaches generally available - hydrogen peroxide, sodium percarbonate (which we shall continue to abbreviate as PCS) and sodium perborate.

If we understand how PCS works, we can see why they are not at all harmful to septics.

Those familiar with common chemical compounds will see that PCS essentially contains sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide stuck together. It is made by treating natural soda ash with hydrogen peroxide and the oxygen is absorbed while remaining a free flowing solid.

Upon dissolving in water, it breaks back down into natural soda ash after the oxygen is released. The oxygen is used up in your toilet cassette breaking down the stuff that is in there, and you are then left with the soda ash which can do no harm to any septic.

Now let’s turn the argument around from why is PCS not harmful to septics to what can there be to harm a septic system.

When PCS is broken down we have sodium carbonate which has a higher than neutral pH. Septic systems will fail at lower pH and require higher levels to stay efficient. The septics that smell usually have an acidity problem which is killing off the bugs. A means of correcting this is to raise the pH by the addition of lime. Sodium carbonate has a similar effect, however the comparatively minute amount we are putting into a septic will really have no effect, but if it does it will be positive.

In fact it is recommended that bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) is used as a cleaner for septics. Sodium carbonate (the left-over from PCS) has the same chemical effects as Bicarb so that can not harm the septic.

The usefulness of PCS in our use is the generation of oxygen. The basic septics are anaerobic and this could be one of the reasons for the misconceptions about using PCS products with septics if there is an assumption that the oxygen will ruin a septic.

This argument also doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Firstly, we are using a teaspoonful per day which let’s face it is bugger all. At that rate, all the oxygen will be used up trying to cope with the stuff in the toilet, so by the time we dispose of it there will be no free oxygen and even if there was, there would be nowhere near enough to adversely affect a septic.

Secondly, the same would apply to all those “Oxy” washing powders and cleaners (all PCS) which are all OK for septics and if anything, would deliver more free oxygen than our cassette or black water tank.

Thirdly, although septics are an anaerobic system, they are unaffected by the introduction of a little oxygen. Aerobic systems require the introduction of oxygen. Anaerobic systems do not require oxygen and work best without it. This does not mean that a little oxygen will kill it.

So if anybody with a septic believes that the PCS products are bad, they will need to stop using most of the modern day "safe for septics" PCS bleaches, cleaners, dishwasher powders, washing powders etc.

By all means use the generic nappy treatment products if they say they are septic safe on the labels.

Where can there be a problem with these products? Only where there are other compounds in there which are not septic friendly so it is important to read the label to make sure the one you use is OK for septics.

Because the oxygen is released as soon as it is dissolved in water, I would suggest a teaspoon of the powder per day directly into the toilet. It will release the oxygen a little more slowly.

Keep in mind it will be absolutely useless if you only pee in the toilet - you will need to use something else.

By the way, do you know why they are called septics? Simply, because they are septic. They are full of Eschericia coli (e-coli lives within our large intestines in a symbiotic relationship with us as it is a source of vitamin K). So, anaerobic systems are "septic" (meaning contaminated with microbes) and must be isolated from surface water and well aquifers and is a reason you can not locate your septic trench near a stream or underground water supply."

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645394

Reply By: JohnHelen W - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 13:54

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 13:54
Well, that certainly started up a hornet's nest. In our case it is very rare that we would actually empty into a septic tank, usually using the dump point. One park that we stayed at had the sign about not emptying instead requesting that people use the dump point. It was only about 4 km out of town so not very convenient.

Thak you all for your most interesting replies. I think that we'll just make sure in future to use official dump points only.

Thanks again

John
AnswerID: 645396

Follow Up By: skulldug - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 17:48

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 17:48
Just be grateful no one posted photos!
FollowupID: 925670

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 20:07

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 20:07
skulldug, I could add quite a number of pictures, but luckily for everyone here they are in my head and unfortunately with some of them, I can't remove them from memory.

Then there's the smells at dump points. Smells in our van are never any worse than at home so I haven't been able to see/smell the advantage of a SOG system. We looked at composting but after watching videos of them we decided that just carrying a spare cassette was easier for us for extended stays away from a dump point.

We've never used the commercial cassette chemicals as the earlier ones didn't seem to be very safe from looking at their composition. We used napisan style stuff for years and only came across one place that had a sign banning formaldehyde products and that was at an "eco" caravan park, but the last time there they had a normal dump point and the sign had gone.

Now we just use the 100% product from a brewing supply place that sells it for bottle cleaning/sterilising. We only have to use a much smaller amount of it and never put any in if cassette is to be emptied a short time afterwards so probably little if any chemical left active.

There are times at dump points where the smell is undesirable, from the dump point itself, but keeping upwind or a dab of Vicks or eucalyptus oil under the nose does improve survivability.

Slightly off subject, I learnt a very valuable lesson in an Alice Springs caravan park about 45 years ago, always wear thongs in a public shower. You never know when a fisherman will leave his catch on the floor.
FollowupID: 925673

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 20:57

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 20:57
A fisherman in Alice Springs. Really??
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925674

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:04

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:04
Why not, they already have a yacht race there?

It was just my humorous way of describing my not so humorous encounter with a blind mullet.
FollowupID: 925681

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 08:44

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 08:44
Late to this perennial discussion.

Have lived with septic toilet systems for around 35 years now.

Have used sodium percarbonate in porta pottis for probably half of that, & emptying it into our septic sysytems has never caused any problem. Likewise washing machines emptying into the septic has not caused any problem

The anaerobic vs aerobic arguments are a furphy. Sodium percarbonate releases oxygen inside the toilet to do what is needed, but this process is completed before it is emptied.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 645401

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:42

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:42
Maybe not related to septic tanks but certainly to van cassette toilets…………..

In order to keep the bowl clean we use 'Toilet Bowl Liners'. They are in the form of a dissolvable paper pocket that are placed at the bottom of the bowl on top of a closed sluice valve. I keeps all soil from the bowl and simply drops into the cassette when the sluice is opened with the help of a very small water flush. Apart from keeping the bowl clean it also greatly reduces the amount of water added to the cassette. They are much more convenient and effective than trying to use toilet paper to achieve the same protection.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 645406

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:57

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:57
I've been using the liners for a number of years now but have been considering buying the porcelain insert that can be permanently fitted in the bowl for easy cleaning. Not sure if I can justify the cost but it would be nice having porcelain instead of plastic.
FollowupID: 925690

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:59

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:59
Tony, better buy a brush at the same time. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925691

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 10:16

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 10:16
We tried those, but not for very long.

This is our experiences with a Thetford C400 series unit.

Any peeing while sitting and the liner went soggy and stuck to the sides, or immediately ended up being washed into the center anyway.
Also, with any oversized load of "soil" and while trying to clean up, your knuckles can come into contact with said soil.

Generally, with the blade open, and a perfect seating position, more often than not the contents disappeared into the cassette with little bowl cleanup afterwards.

We currently have a new van on order, and it seems to be coming with a different Thetford with a swivel seat so this will be a new experience.

Maybe we'll have some new toilet humour laughs. We've had plenty of that watching antics at roadside rest area toilets and dump points. That's where you see who has the best stomach for smells.
FollowupID: 925697

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 11:00

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 11:00
Phil, we have not experienced those problems. There is a difference somewhere but I know not where it is.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925698

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:17

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:17
I'm guessing that the problem is beneath me.
FollowupID: 925699

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:27

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:27
Better than 'over-your-head' Phil.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925700

Reply By: David W90 - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2024 at 15:28

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2024 at 15:28
Many caravan parks and campgrounds have septic systems that can be adversely affected by the use of traditional chemical toilet treatments containing formaldehyde or other harsh chemicals.
AnswerID: 645554

Sponsored Links