Strange attitude.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 20:14
ThreadID: 147080 Views:2043 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
I went into the local branch of a well-known store which provides all things necessary for fit outs of off-road vehicles recently, to confirm price and order for my vehicle.
Salesperson dragged himself away from his screen to barely utter a greeting and I explained what I wanted.... a basic 2 drawer system in the rear end with a fridge slide out positioned on the R/H side of a Prado.
I explained how I wanted it done using my own fridge slide.
"It comes with one" he responded 'No' I said 'I have one cut down to the exact width of the 60 ltr Engel so it doesn't take up so much room so that can be taken off the price and the width of the compartment adjusted accordingly'.
Very black look from him.
'How old is the Prado?'
'New or rather, about 6months old' I said.
Another black look....
'Price ?' I asked.
'About 5K '. he said.
Not bad considering the first quote a couple of weeks before from a far more congenial staff member was approx 2.5K. :)
I'd had the bull bar and other stuff fitted by them and am very satisfied but with his attitude I don't get anything else from that branch.
AlanTH
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 21:50

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 21:50
Hello Alan H,
What you got is a : look see and sell, counter operator, not a knowledgeable experienced sales person. Many have no real understanding of what they are dealing with, and if you ask for any change, it is beyond their ability to comprehend. The price should be a fixed company price and he be able to quote it to the $.
I had a similar experience trying to buy a compressor, and the sales person told me unusual responses. I told him he didn't have a clue about what he was selling and basically telling me BS. I bought elsewhere, with a trade discount and the base price was cheaper anyway.Shop around! Just because they can recognize a 4wd at ten paces and look at parts on a screen doesn't make them proficient in anything much at all!
AnswerID: 645398

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 06:45

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 06:45
Hi AlanTH,

From your description of what you want, you are after two draws, you do not need a fridge slide, as you already have one. One thing you may want to consider is that a 60 Ltr. Engel fridge slide is quite wide, even though you say you have had it “customised” it may not fit on top of either of the single draws, it may have to overlap across both of the draw tops, and still be clear to pull out without “fouling” on either side of the rear of the vehicle.

As far as the salesperson is concerned, if you have been happy with this dealership in the past, you could try going back and asking for the manager a explaining to him what had happened. You may get an entirely different response. These businesses are “franchised”, if the franchisee gets a bad name, and it gets back to “head office”, the franchisee will soon get the message that he needs to improve.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645400

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 09:34
I cut the slide to fit the fridge width myself and want it beside the 2 drawers which will go on the L/H side looking into the back of the vehicle. Shelf over the top to take seats etc. Room (about 7 - 8cms) underneath drawers/fridge for sliding camp bog into etc.
If they can't alter the width of the fridge compartment that's OK I'll do some of my own tinkering. Over the last 5 or 6 vehicles I've made my own system up and they've worked good but just thought I'd get something customised for our last vehicle...... Maybe our last anyway. :)
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 925679

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:08

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:08
Macca
What is a draw? is it a thing scribbled on a wall? Or do you mean Drawer as in chest of drawers.

I draws on da walls.
FollowupID: 925682

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:18

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 16:18
Hi RMD,

Bloody Auto correct has caught me out again.

Macca,
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925685

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 19:56

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 19:56
Now now, no blaming all things technical for your failings. :) It can be a nuisance at times though.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 925687

Reply By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 08:50

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 08:50
I have a swing away spare wheel carrier on my 2003 Landcruiser, which I bought and fitted in 2005. Recently a spring failed. I went back to the same branch of the big chain to ask about a replacement spring. I was laughed at for having such an old vehicle, of course the couldn’t help.
AnswerID: 645402

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 09:40

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 09:40
At least you won't need some techo whizz kid with a plug-in analyser to attempt a fix when in the bush. Plenty of good older vehicles around in top condition on road and off.
I've mostly had good work done by this company except for many years ago now a clown 'electrician' employed by them put the battery terminals on the dual system upside down and hammered them down ..... :O
How anybody could do such crap work I don't know and suspect he was pissed at the time. They tried to charge me for a new battery but got over ruled by their management at the time.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 925680

Follow Up By: Member - FSH00 - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 16:53

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 16:53
Deliberately purchased a 97 model 80 series with 87000km not long ago, would rather not be broken down due to a rock or stick breaking sensor wires not to mention the cost of the recovery.
Work to live don’t live to work

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925703

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 13:06

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 13:06
Allan, they are most probably a franchise that sells components to suit a complete setup, you are looking for a shop that does custom setups.
He was just doing his best to tell you that nicely, right or wrong, they cant help you.
Most bought units are left slide, right draw. I too did my own with a alloy slide on the floor so i could see in the fridge, managing a battery infront of the slide and a drawer on the other side, between the rear seats of a 200.
Light, removeable and still an 8 seater
AnswerID: 645405

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:01

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:01
I just might continue with my homemade set-up although it's not as pretty as the bought versions. All I've got to do now is find out how to tie it down at the back to something solid rather than use the little tie-downs on the back of the third row seats as they are, I assume, just for kiddy seats.
Lot of weight in the Engel when full of liquid stuff and all hanging out the back so needs to be strong.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 925688

Follow Up By: Zac S3 - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:45

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2024 at 20:45
I think it would definitely be done by a repair service, not a store.
FollowupID: 925689

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 08:01

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 08:01
Alan,

Can’t visualise what you might need to tie it down, but might be worth perusing the Ovesco website which is here.

Good, prompt service, I’ve found.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925694

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 09:30

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 09:30
Thanks for that Bob. All I want to do really is make the back end of my storage shelving secure to the floor in front of the 3rd seats (or somewhere in that area) to ensure when the weight of a loaded Engel goes out the back for access, they don't tip up forced by all that weight and gravity. :)
I suppose I could use a prop like some use to go under their slide-out tables/sinks etc. but I'd rather not.
I'll get it done soon, as soon as my troublesome lower back is fixed.... :(
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 925695

Reply By: Member - WA 1968 - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:13

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:13
Sounds like the branch of a major franchise in the South West of WA!!!! Everything priced straight out of the book with oh yeah that will do attitude.
Problem is there is only a few alternatives and its a case of who can actually do the work!
AnswerID: 645408

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 13:24

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 13:24
I have resisted buying or making a set of drawers over the last 25 years, a two drawer set up can be 50kg to 60kg if only a metre deep, that's a fair chunk of say 400kg you have available to reach GVM. The Bull Bar and "other stuff" you previously added, a full fridge, tank of fuel and a few people and all the rest of the stuff added in and you get to GVM very quickly. The other thing is you cant remove the drawers in a hurry if you want to use your vehicle as a wagon as intended. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 645409

Sponsored Links