4Runner..V6 or 2.8D or 2.4P..which would you choose

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 14:33
ThreadID: 14761 Views:6455 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I have owned a 85 Runner for the last 12 years, I reconditioned the 3y 2 litre petrol motor at 200K for a mere $1800 which is now pushing 400K, it has been a incredably reliable vehicle but i am looking to get into a later model Runner now..around '90 to '94.

Considering the age, i will be looking at a vehicle with 170k to 250K on the clock and will probally keep it for another 5 to 10 years.

I am trying to toss up between the V6 or the 2.4petrol, or the 2.8 Diesel.

I like the V6 because of having power but am aware that there is a comon head problem and fuel consuption is pretty high also.

I see the 2.4 petrol as being cheaper to run than the v6, possibly around the same power as the 2.8D but half the price to rebuild the engine as i would come across doing this in the time that i would own it.

I ussume the 2.8 Diesel would cheapest on fuel but a very expensive engine to rebuild which i may never have to do as they are known for doing 400k and more.

Just woundering what your opinions or experiances are on the differant engine options ?

The vehicle would mainly be used as a work vehicle around town with the occasional trip away or weekend off road adventure.

Thanks
Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 14:36

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 14:36
You are already talking rebuilding the 2.8? Why? If treated well and looked after, you shouldnt have to...

2.4 wouldnt be cheaper to run.. They are gutless, and are constantly flogged to get moving. V6 Does it easy.

Around town, Diesel or Petrol..

Offroad Diesels.
AnswerID: 68262

Follow Up By: busysteve - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:42

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:42
I own a 85 4 runner with a 253 holden engine in her and have no problem with it been to cape york and the only problem i had was bits of the forby falling apart but i think thats pretty normal had no problems with the motor at all. I have been told by a mechanic that the 253 v8 (carb fed) is beter than the v6 because there r to many electronics to go wrong (eg river crossing) if the elecs get wet your stuffed with the v8 just get out the wd 40 and of u go
hope i helped steve
FollowupID: 330563

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 15:04

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 15:04
Tom, what is the main reason you are upgrading? Is it beacuse the engine is tired again, the car tired etc?

If you are still happy with the old bus but want something a little more drivable, then why dont you look at repowering the old girl. If it is mechanincally sound and the body interior etc is still what you are happy with then I would drop in a Comm 3.8l V6. These are drive-in drive-out conversions and are as good as a factory fit.

I havent ever heard any bad reviews after the conversion.

You can choose to have the five speed or a more modern, 4sp lockup auto (T700) backing up the V6 and you get power and relative (depending on foot pressure) economy.

Personally I love the diesels, but they are not a patch on the V6 for performance and the Hilux V6 isnt worth the trouble. The 3.8 over the Hilux 3l V6 is easier to service, rebuild, repair etc etc has tuns more power and reliability. Parts are a dime a dozen and available aust wide, basically anywhere you could get a commodore!!

As I said I love the diesels but unless you want to turbo the 2.8 they are pretty gutless and then you turn the aircon on???

Food for though, goodluck.
Matt.
AnswerID: 68266

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 17:52

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 17:52
Got a Diesel 94 4 Runner and am more than pleased with it.Sure it no power house(even with extractors and 2 1/2 exhaust)sure sounds better though but we use it for touring and are not in any great hurry.
Ive heard that the V 6's also suffer o/heating issues in slow , hot 4WDing but that may have had something to do with the headgasket problems.
Over all We're really happy with the vehicle and I'd go for the Diesel everytime.
We paid 20 grand four years ago with 140000kms on the clock and a good 5000km service history.
AnswerID: 68284

Reply By: 85Runner - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:34

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:34
Thanks for the replys,
Truckster..I know it sounds silly talking Rebuild before i have evan brought another vehicle, But i take this into consideration as i will be buying a vehicle that i will keep for a long time and the cost of rebuilding "may" be a bridge that i will have to cross.

Matt..Yes i am looking to upgrade because she is very tired (and buggered) in many ways, besides that, i have been eyeing off these sexy 4 door Runners for a long time now. Not really interested in putting a v6 in this old girl ..although it sounds like fun...The time has come.

Nick...I'm kinda thinking the 2.8 Diesel is the way to go, I know people say they are sluggish and i don't expect them to be a power house but do wounder how they compare in performance to my 2 litre petrol as i have never driven a diesel yet.
I ussume they would have a little more grunt in the comonly used part of the rev band compared to the 2 litre petrol. What kind of fuel economy do you average from your 94 diesel.

Thanks Guys..Keep 'em coming

Tom

AnswerID: 68299

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:22

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:22
Tom
Have owned a 1989 2.8d 4runner since new and have only just rebearinged the gearbox,506,000kms on clock.
I got about 10.5kms/litre in standard form and as you know it only liked hills when it was going down them, so at 405,000kms I put a DTS turbo on her and the economy went down to about 10.25 kms/litre but power went thru the roof.
I have recently been looking into engine rebuilds and a reco long motor will set me back about $3,800.
At the moment I am looking at buying 3.0td prado but i am going to the gulf and Kakadu in 2weeks time for a month and a half and will decide when Icome back.
If I were you I would go for the 2.8d, they are a good motor.
Safe travels.
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 68311

Follow Up By: 85Runner - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:09

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:09
Thanks Jim-Bob
Thats some interesting info and figures there, Much appreciated.
The 2.8D looks like the better option.
enjoy your time away

Tom
FollowupID: 328924

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:15

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:15
Ignoring all the bad publicity people give them (who have never owned or driven them, mind you) have you thought about a later model 3.0TD surf with the 1KZ-TE (prado) motor in them?
More comfort inside, more power with a good motor and cheaper to buy.
Other than that they are the same body and suspension. (look at my rig photo's)

If you want some more info on what to look out for with them email me, jeff@austechsurveillance.com.au

But there are no problems with the 1kz-te surf's that you wouldn't get in a v6 runner.
You just have to check it out properly (like any second hand 4by).
AnswerID: 68412

Follow Up By: 85Runner - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:43
Hi Jeff, I have considered the Surfs and thanks to all the bad publicity i have crossed them off my list but am aware that the 3 litre turbo diesel is a good motor and is ment to be pretty reliable compared to the heat related problem 2.4 motors. I'm not keen on buying any turbo vehicle unless it is new or demo (which is out of leage) so this is another reason why the surf got crossed off.

Still thinking towards the 2.8 diesel

Tom
FollowupID: 329233

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:18

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:18
I had a 2.8 Intercooled TD Rocky before the surf, very similar motor to the hilux as Daihatsu are owned by Toyota and share a lot of parts... Even with the intercooler it was nothing compared to the 1kz-te. The 3.0TD with no intercooler eats it for breakfast, would never go back...
FollowupID: 329307

Sponsored Links