Installer required for Icom radio

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:59
ThreadID: 14773 Views:1973 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Forumites,

I just shelled out 400 clams on the net for an Icom IC400PRO Radio to install in the Prado. Looks like a great unit. Got it from Prestige in Melbourne and they are chucking in a free antenna which will do until I get a decent one (can't expect too much from a FREE one!).

Now all I need is a good installer somewhere in Adelaide (am prepared to travel a bit if there is someone better in Regional SA.) How much would I be expecting to pay to have a radio/antenna installed? I am going to mount the radio inside the HUGE centre console bin under the armrest (thanks for the photos Steve!).

Can anyone recommend a good quality installer for me????

Thanks
Muddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:14

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:14
Prestige in Melbourne?
You mean Prestige Communications?

They are in perth
AnswerID: 68308

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:20

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:20
Uhhhh Thanks Truckster.

As usual you are brutally correct! Yes it was Prestige Communications in Perth. Location does not seem to matter on the net. I did not actually look at their physical address as the shipping was the same to anywhere in Oz. I had it in mind that they were in Melb as I had heard you recommending them in the past.

Thanks buddy.
FollowupID: 328905

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:30

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:30
I would try Tisonics on Magill Rd, Norwood.

IMHO, their work is good quality - not the cheapest (see Strathfeild etc if ya want that ), but sound quality installations.

Have had atwo jobs done - on on my UHF, one on a new CD/radio for the family car.

Cheers
AnswerID: 68314

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:38

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:38
Steven,

sorry for the above pun (sound quality)

Hahahahaha
FollowupID: 328917

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:42

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 20:42
Thanks Rick.

Will give them a call tomorrow. If I can get quality sound out of the UHF on a long therm on-going basis then they will have done an installation of sound quality! LOL

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 328919

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:04

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:04
Hi mate, there is a good place in Para Hills West called Transceiver Services, and also Electric Bug on Torrens Road. Both quoted me about $100 for arial and unit. Where you want the arial will make a little difference on price. But really it is very very simple to do yourself. I did my own the other week and it took no longer than an hour and i am no expert. Two wires (1 to power and 1 to earth) And then the coax for the arial. All you have to do is hide the wiring for a pro job.
AnswerID: 68322

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:12

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:12
Thanks Brewman.

Will give them a call as well.

I saw my uncle fit a UHF into my father's 75 series and while it went OK I must say it did seem fiddly and required tools that I just don't have. Given that mine is a new vehicle I am not keen to go stuffing around with it!

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 328925

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:17

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:17
Yep I'd go to Electric Bug, When they give advice it is always sound. They really are pro's
Camper
FollowupID: 328934

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:51

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:51
Hi, Brew69, just to let you know i recieved the info re: homebrew, will talk later re: this set up. Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 329010

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:51
Brewman and Camper.

Thanks heaps for the tip on Electric Bug. I dropped in there today and was amazed at the range of stuff they had and the detail they were prepared to go into concerning possible install spots and antenna details.

My Radio has arrived already from Perth and I have booked it in to Electric Bug for Thursday so it is all done for a trip away this weekend.

Thanks guys.
FollowupID: 329218

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:47

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:47
Muddy, What sort of install are you after? I fitted my remote head GME, its easy, just head south of the Grampians one weekend and we'll into it. Free rent here too for an overnight stay, might invite JohnR up for a BBQ too whaddyareckon?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 68335

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:09

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:09
Thanks Bonz,

It doesn't have to be a professional (as in business workshop) install to be a quality job! All I am after is a quality job. If an ExplorOz member has the skills and the tools to do a quality job then I am a happy camper!

This is not a job that I would tackle myself as I don't have access to the tools that may be required. I am an expert in the use of computers and electronics but am not that good at the wires and components bit especially when it comes to working in confined automotive spaces.

What I am trying to say is - if you have the skills and the tools then I have the job. If there is a good time to be had along the way (when had a BBQ ever been bad???) then you had better send me your address on a member message!

We missed out on catching up last week so it would be good to catch up. How are you placed for weekend after next?? What colour cartons should I bring??? LOL. If JohnR could make it as well then all the better!

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 328932

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:15

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:15
What sort of tools do you mean? I have most things and if need be we can MIG weld the sucker under the dash.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 328933

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:18

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:18
Now I am worried!
FollowupID: 328935

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:31

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:31
Hey Bonz,

Looks the best solution. Not thought of the mig under the dash mate. LOL I have liquid nails for my bracket all looking quite legitimate behind a foam surround!

We could probably rig up the shower at the same time Muddy, even another spare carrier. Now we have you worried...............
FollowupID: 328937

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:13

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:13
I slide the armrest forward (top of the centre console bin you refer to). This gives a flat space behind it and I velcro my UHF and its mounting bracket on to that. No screws or tools needed and it removes/instals in seconds. I change my Prado every 12 months so it suits me fine that way. Power and coax are fairly easily pushed through a grommet high in the engine bay right over at the drivers side. Only tool needed is a soldering iron to fit the connector to the coax after it's been pushed through. All wires can be directed under the dash to the centre console area, tucked under the driver's side footwell side of the console and along the floor beside the seat. They can then be connected to the radio when needed and put back between the tunnel/console and the seat when not in use. Have a look following what I said and you might find you can save a lot of money and gain a lot of satisfaction! Good luck!
AnswerID: 68344

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:27

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:27
That's what I love about this site. Ask a question and you will get some answers that you may never have thought of. I had a mindset of having the unit mounted in the dash but thyen Steve suggested last week on another post to put it inside the console bin. Brilliant! It is out of the way and away from prying eyes but still accessible.

Your suggestion also sounds good and sounds like it would have minimal impact on the vehicle in terms of mounting screws and drilling holes. Thanks for that and will keep it in mind!

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 328936

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:19

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:19
Hi Steven, have fitted plenty over the years, if you want to come up here and I will fit it for you. Not familiar with this unit is it a remote head unit or full size, and does the prado have a place in the dash/console for it to go? Does your b/bar have a place for the arial or do you need a wrap around bracket to suit you B/bar tube size.
If you dont still have my mob. number its behind rig pic.
AnswerID: 68346

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:43

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:43
Mate there is too much clay up your way. Last time I went out that way I needed a skycrane!

I think I might take a punt and check out Bonz's workshop. Then I'll come and see you for a QA session to see how well the job went.

Then again -just had a thought. Bonz and JohnR drive Nissans. Could this be a plot by those on the dark side to sabotage the Toyota!!!!!!

Must give this more thought..............

Muddy
FollowupID: 328939

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:50

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:50
No mud up here mate that will stop a toyota, LOL, may even be in the big smoke next w/end as we have a family member in hosp., and have a couple of choices where we could do it Golden Grove area if you want.
Dont let those nissan muckanics touch your yota or it will blowup!! LOL
FollowupID: 328940

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:02

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:02
Thanks very much for the offer Steve,

Next weekend I am planning to go to Maree for the Tom Kruse 50th anniversary event. Coming back via Roxby and Woomera on the Monday.

Hope all goes well with the family member! Not TOO serious I hope.

Cheers

Steven
FollowupID: 328943

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:23

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:23
No problem Steven, let me know if I can help, Yes cant get away to see Tom next w/end, but Glendas dad is going, he knows Tom well and helped restore the truck, and say gday to Tom for us have met him many times, he is a real gentleman. He is around Ninety now and I beleive he is being flown up this time. Wonder if they will have the truck there, we were part of the original reenactment in 99, a one off memory.
FollowupID: 328945

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:29

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:29
Steve,

The truck is being taken up from Birdwood during the week. I think someone from my work is assisting with that. I believe that due to age (90+) this is expected to be Tom's last major public appearance/event.

Apparantly they are going the whole 9 yards for this event so there should be lots of people there and it should be lots of fun!

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 328947

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:19

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:19
Steven, most mobile phone installers can do it too......when i change cars i get the mobile phone and CB done at the same time ..i use Mobiltek on Main North Rd at Medindie
AnswerID: 68369

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:06
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for the constructive advice, tips on suppliers and also offers to fit the unit for me.

I talked to the guys at Electric Bug on Torrens road today and they were great. Amazing range of product in thier shop and they were prepared to discuss the required install to the tiniest detail.

I am now going to put the radio inside the centre console armrest bin with the antenna on the roofrack above the A pillar (had 2 Rhino sportz roofracks also installed today!).

I am getting two antenna. A 3db, 6" long rubber jobbie for around town (only $14 to replace if some mongrel flogs it) and a 6db 1 metre stainless whip for when I am out of town.

Booked in for Thursday. I am going to Maree on the weekend so it would be nice if it is all done by then!

I also talked to them about a HF set that I want to put in next Year. Icom have just released a HF unit (IC-F7000) which seems the goods. The head unit is half the size of the Barrett and the whole thing with antenna (Moonraker) comes to around $4,000 installed (depending on antenna mounting effort). Has anyone installed one of these units yet and if so what is the report???

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 68699

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:06
Don't forget to use the shorty when doing tracks with low overhanging foliage. Shortys on the roof work real well. Just installed one on the roof of the canopy.

Can't help with the Icom. I've had a number of Icom radios over the years on various frequencies, mostly good with the odd dud. Do a search on the web for any reports.
FollowupID: 329229

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:40
I dropped in there a couple of weeks ago and grabbed one of those $14 rubber jobs and it still seems to do well on the roof rack. I got my radio from Electric Bug. I printed the pages of specials that Prestige have and they said they would match any of their prices, which they did.
FollowupID: 329241

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:52

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:52
I just checked the price at Prestige for the HF unit and Electric Bug is $400 cheaper for the supply of the radio and antenna. Go figure! They were nearly $50 dearer for the UHF set.

Pays to shop around!

Good to hear that the $14 jobbie works OK!

Muddy

FollowupID: 329249

Sponsored Links