Bypass filters for a GU diesel

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:37
ThreadID: 14795 Views:1797 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've read a little about bypass filters and was wondering if you have any comments positve or negative on fitting one to a turbo diesel GU patrol. Any particular one you recommend??

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:26

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:26
G'day mate,
Suggest you do a archives check on post # 11,482

In it there is a reply from Member - Ed.C and he has quite a bit of info about by-pass filters.

He also provided a site to look up www.filterit.com

Hope this helps

Cya
AnswerID: 68444

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:54
Roachie,
Ya got that website wrong!!! Need to put ya glasses on (LOL)

Correct address is.... www.wefilterit.com ...

Catch ya later! Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 329141

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:13
Struth, sorry mate.....I think I did that reply b4 I took my medication.
Cya
FollowupID: 329144

Reply By: Rossco100series - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:43

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:43
Sorry for asking but what do you mean by bypass filters and what use is this for ?

Rossco
AnswerID: 68522

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:49
Hi,

You bleed off some of the crankcase oil and it is filtered to a higher standard than the orginal filters and this oil is returned to the remainer. You can get longer service interals for the oil or for me it would just give me better oil for the standard service life.

FollowupID: 329128

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:17
Hi there, A by-pass filter is a very fine , low in micron size that filters only about a litre a minute constantly while the engine is running. It is pressurised by the oil pump and pumped through the filter and back to the sump. the idea is to pick up the small particles before they are ground up by the moving engine parts. In a petrol engine, a good quality bypass filter will keep the engine oil the same colour as it was new with regular bypass filter changes. Diesels, the oil colour goes black because of the high carbon and soot produced but the oil remains clean. I have one on my Patrol's, cost is about $140 for the unit plus fittings and hoses to get it going and about $5 for the filter element. apart from removing the combustion solids, it also removes small particles of metal and of course dust, which can be a major in a 4x4 driven in dusty conditions. You can if you wish, lenghten your oil change intervals,double if you like and double spin on filters life also as the by-pass filter picks up the majority of the very fine particles that would normally clog the spin-ons. If you are thinking about keeping you vehicle for an extended time it will lengthen you engine life considerably. Hope this helps. Best regards Michael
FollowupID: 329129

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:20

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:20
Forgot to mention, Good for Turbo bearings too,, super clean oil with a by-pass filter.......
FollowupID: 329130

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:50

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:50
G'day Austravel,
I have the Frantz unit on my '99 GU 4.2TD... I have no idea how it compares with other makes, but I can tell you that (IMO) the Frantz is a very well made unit, in terms of quality of manufacture....
I bought mine direct from the U.S.of A. ( www.wefilterit.com ) and the before/after-sales service was second to none!!

There is now a distributor in OZ (Melb.), details on aforementioned website, & I believe all parts & (most importantly) TP elements are available from him...

Fitting was a breeze, mounted mine on the bracket where the vacuum reservoirs are (after moving one of said reservoirs)... Probably wouldn't fit in this location if you have dual batteries.... Oil Press. & return galleries are accessible on side of block (behind alternator)....

If you are considering a by-pass filter, then I would certainly recommend the Frantz... (this is not to say that others wouldn't be just as good)...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68602

Reply By: Michael - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:16
Another thing!!! If you Spend the $200 and own a gu 4.2, double your service intervals, you can save $60 on the 2 spin ons and $40 on the oil.. Pick up the $200 very quickly and have better oil quality to boot..............
AnswerID: 68613

Reply By: SteveL - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:16
There are also centrifugal filters available which claim to be even more effective than paper bypass filters.They use oil pressure to spin a filter which flings the heavier solid particles to the side wall of the housing where they are collected.
AnswerID: 68681

Sponsored Links