suspension 80 series

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1480 Views:1667 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a 96 cruiser and want to replace the springs and shocks, what do you fine people recommend. I have been told King springs are good also Dobinsons springs,XGS Shockies was a type given to me.I want to get a 3 inch lift on the cruiser hoping it doesn't stuff up the stability of the car.Any help would be great Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: coops - Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
I also have a 96 cruiser and replaced my suspension with King Springs and Rancho RS9000 shocks and I couldn't be happier with the improvement. I also have polyair bags fitted to rear springs but this may not be necessary for you.
AnswerID: 4828

Reply By: Member - Sam - Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
can't vouch for the springs (own a leaf sprung Hilux), but can certainly echo coops' comments on the Rancho RS9000's. I have these fitted and thus far I can't fault them. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4832

Reply By: Trent - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
My sugestion re suspension is to be very exacting with fitting, especially ensuring the shocks have sufficient travel and compression distances. We broke 3/4 rancho 9000s on our recent trip by various mechanisms! Changing to some OME LTRs to ensure that the adjusters are well out of the way (the LTRs are also valved to the specific vehicle, so probably more useful when it comes to heavier crusiers).

We're had several spring setups already, last set being doblinsons - no real complaint - its more an issue of ensuring that the springs are appropriately load rated. Think about the polyairs too, we found them one of the best investments on the vehicle. Very handy if you drive the car loaded and unloaded (i.e on holidays, and then back at work). Have some OMEs installed next week with the LTRs to ensure that everything is perfectly matched.

By the way is that Kingston from the Brisbane 4wd Club?
AnswerID: 4857

Follow Up By: Kingston - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Yes Trent it is me, I plan on setting the cruiser up for offroad.The balints and us are heading for the Strezlecki track in September.The bigger car was needed to tow our new poptop camper trailer and have more fun on club trips.Keep in touch.
FollowupID: 2088

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Kingston, save your money and put a couple of Polyair bags in the back, you will never regret the minimal expense compared with the agro of paying for useless info you get from sales spruickers who will sell you shocks and springs that you will regret paying for....The original equipment is fine for all normal use in the Outback, the Polyairs just help you carry a greater load without bottoming out over bad bumps... sorry but been there done that !!! Oh ! after 170k I fitted a set of Konis and reckon I didn't need them !!

Steve
AnswerID: 4865

Reply By: Trent - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Would have to agree with Steve. The Polyairs will pay for themselves. We currently are running a 4" lift in the Crusier - it certainly does make a difference off road on true 4WD tracks, but as steve pointed out many of the major outback tracks are often graded. Its suprising where you'll come accross a falcon towing a caravan!!

Still if you intend venturing to some of the true 4wd destinations (and oftenly have to go out of your way to do it), you'll appreciate having the suspension right. In the grand scheme of 4wd upgrades, suspension is cheap, so why not get it right?

Make sure you match the shocks...and having something thats adjustable is nice. We found that by tightening the shocks on road it countered the problem of increased body roll due to the lift. Overall the package performed far better than the standard setup.

BTW the XGS is a reasonable shock (though not adjustable) - quite firm - which was nice on road, but may be a little bumpy on the corrogations. The firmness of a shock may also affect the articulation response too. Just my 2c worth considering.
AnswerID: 4869

Reply By: kingston - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks everyone this info gives me a few options greatly appreciated
AnswerID: 4893

Reply By: Trent - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Heyya Kingston,

I lost ya email address mate when we changed software. Send us an email, and I'll send a few pics along. Good to hear about the crusier.

BTW we did the Strezleki/Flinders/Oonadatta/Plenty + Victorian Alps last month. I'll send along some of the pics.

Go have a chat to Mark Lacey at ARB southside. Heard some good reports about em there. Theyre do our suspension again next month when we're in Brisbane for a couple of weeks.

AnswerID: 4894

Follow Up By: Kingston - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
hi Trent some photos would be great I can't find your e-mail this is our address kingdeb@netspace.net.au send us an E-mail and we can talk some more,that guy from ARB you mentioned is that the head office of ARB over at Coopers Plains?
FollowupID: 2099

Sponsored Links