trademans fault?? your thoughts. help!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:23
ThreadID: 14829 Views:1996 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one delt with the MVRIA before?
Last month I put my 92 patrol (diesel AUTOMATIC)into a radiator guy as hte bottom of the core had let go. He looked in his computer and told me that my model had two transmission cooling cylinders and a new one would be very expensive. so he offered to recore the old unit.
WELL last week my gearbox BLEWUP!!! radiator fluid had entered the gear box,presureized it and pushed all the transmission fluid back into the radiator.
On inspection the top cooling cylinder was found to have a series of corrossion hloes in it.
I believe that he is responseable for this, failing to inspect and test the cylinders (which i believe is the norm with auto's) when he removed them during the recore.
He says it is natural ware, not his problem.
It will cost me $4-6,000 to fix the gearbox.
any advise would be appreceiated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmacks - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:34

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:34
Doesn't that suck.
I am no expert but it would have made sense to check both at the same time? cannot believe they didn't.
One question i would ask is did they pressure test the radiator? because if they did wouldnt this problem have showed up then?
I have just had a radiator recored on my sons mazda 323 and the radiator guy recommended we replace everything at the same time.
good luck
AnswerID: 68570

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:08

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:08
I would harrass the machanic as much as possible but if no luck would call the Dept of Fair Trade or the like in your state. If then no luck get a solicitor and put him out of business. Little f----r. Don't know who the MVRIA are though.

AnswerID: 68574

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:40
if he tested the unit correctly, the holes would have come out in the top cooling cylinder. Sounds obvious to me, but then Im no spanner man

Go straight to a lawyer, dont pass go... Get some accurate legal advice. Then go to the MVRIA, which I think will do 0.. Then go to as UTE says, Dept of Fair Trading.

Gearbox rebuilds complete, including better valve body, and manual lockup in Melb are only $3800-4000 COMPLETE rebuild, R&R as well.. KB Auto in berwick charge $3500 for complete rebuild.

Not much use to you, but if your getting quotes of $6000 your gettin raped.

AnswerID: 68597

Reply By: Foss - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:49

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:49
G'Day Shannon

It's pretty simple really. You paid for your radiator to be repaired, It wasn't and caused significant damage. Dept of Fair trading will help you. You will need to talk to one of their officers. They are very quick once they are on the job.

I would wish you luck but you don't need it. From what you have told us you have paid for a job that wasn't done. No one would refit a damaged or worn part without consulting the owner. I put it to you that the top cylinder was never out of the radiator. Also as has been noted above, pressure testing would have been impossible so how did he test his work.

Motor Vehicle Repair Industry Council &/or Motor Traders Association are both bodies that may be able to help as well, however, the business will have to be a member of one or the other before they can bring any pressure to bere.

AnswerID: 68601

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 15:55

Am a lawyer and deal with motor vehicle law everyday.

Not as easy as everybody above has suggested. You must prove that the repairer was negligent. You will need a separate non-prejudicial entity to inspect and compile a report (at your own cost) evidencing that the repairs performed to your vehicle led to the mechanical failure of the gear box.

However, as suggested above, contact the Motor Traders Association as they will assist you. Probably a cheaper alternative then engaging solicitors straight away.

Hope this helps,


AnswerID: 68658

Sponsored Links