email and internet connection on the road

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:08
ThreadID: 14835 Views:1994 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are off in September for 2 months and will take a laptop with us - my question is how can we connect to the internet and collect our emails?

We have mobiles but is this a vrey expensive way of getting mail - what do other travellers do?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Dian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:28

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:28
Few options,
1) Wait till your in a town, and see if they have a computer store, they usually allow for a few bucks you to use a connection, or a caravan park, you can sometimes use a line from the office.

2) Internet cafe's are big these days too.

3) You can just wait till you get home, its only 2 mths, the world isnt due to end... (george bush hasnt set a date)
AnswerID: 68593

Follow Up By: grahamarn - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:07
Most libary's have computers, in Wyhyalla to use a computer at the libary is free.
FollowupID: 329151

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 14:15
I was at Ulladulla and the only cafe in town that had internet had closed. I asked someone in the street if it was anywhere else and found that most Libraries have them, also in some country towns the community centres have them at a very reasonble price. I have to admit to finding net cafes very entertaining as well as getting the latest news from family and friends.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 329170

Reply By: Bluegeorge - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:31
G'day Bill & Di
I'm with Netspace ADSL at home, they supply a free dial up connection in the package. I obtained a list of access phone numbers for major cities and some regional areas. I have used caravan park and hotel phones, with permission of course, paying mostly for the local call and shouted a few beers along the way also. Contact your ISP and see what they offer.
Blue
AnswerID: 68594

Reply By: Walter Here - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:36

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:36
Copied from the MSN Caravan forum
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/general.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=20928&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2
Willy the good oil is the Hyundai TX60B is available from Telstra on their 24 month $20.00 plan which gives you the bonus option of the free hour a day or any of the five bonus options. The TX60B is a good phone with great reception.
Telstra does not have the USB cables in their system - for some unknown reason
However, the genuine Hyundai USB cables complete with software are available and in stock for $69.00 and $5.00 overnight air express postage from:
Genuine Mobile Accessories
Phone 1300 662 111
GMA Shop website www.gmashop.com.au

I went on the $20 plan and you get the TX60B phone included in the deal. Worked immediately I plugged it in.
AnswerID: 68596

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:24

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:24
Hi Dian,

Occasionally log in using a 1900 number to get access using a landline to my old ISP or the newer one. Have to be at someone who trusts you or at a motel to do that. I have used the mobile phone and as you say it is expensive - relatively to say using Tourist Information Centres, Tele-centre or libraries, but difficult to get files transferred there sometimes.

Using UHF is a new one on me as suggested elsewhere although in cities there is the wireless hotspot. Not Innaminka though, or the Birdsville Track.

Remember in the outback that the digital phone is as good as a shagpile carpet in your 4by for most of the time. CDMA is likely to be better with a high gain antenna if you are near bigger towns - higher speed of access too.
AnswerID: 68615

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:31
There seem to be internet kiosks at a lot of places. $1 to connect and 20 c per minute. The alternative if you are out of the way is to use a data capable satphone (limited to a slow 9.6 kps) or get a Telstra 2 way satellite connection and run it off an inverter. You will have to stop the car and aim the satellite dish each time you connect though. A little more expensive ($120 per month) but very quick and very portable.

http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/satellite/
AnswerID: 68617

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:50

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:50
2 way satellite internet connection is still presently a dream for the majority. an automatic mobile satellite internet dish is $35,000
a manual system would cost you in the region of $11,500 and requires a minimum 1200 mm dish
aiming a two way satellite dish is a time consuming job requiring expertise
I investigated satellite internet three weeks ago as I was interested in going to work as a travelling outback medic
FollowupID: 329156

Reply By: Member - Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:14

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:14
Hi Folks,

One other thing is to ensure that you have web based email available. This means that you can access your email thrugh a web browser such as Internet Explorer or similar as opposed to accessing it through a product such as Outlook etc. An example of web absed email is Hotmail. This feature is also offered with a lot of Interent accounts as well.

The following link will take you to hotmail as an example - http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2

Enjoy your trip

Cheers
AnswerID: 68700

Reply By: Willykj - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:22
Hi all,

I'm the Willy mentioned in David's response on 29th July.

Presently in Nth Qld using laptop & the recommended Hyundai phone & USB connection. Works great!!!

No phone costs as I'm using my free hour via Telstra. Have confirmed via Call Preview that I'm not being charged for calls to connect.

Go for it

Willy
AnswerID: 68703

Reply By: Willykj - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:25
Sorry - 20th July
Willy
AnswerID: 68704

Reply By: motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 00:36

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 00:36
Following me raising a similar question, here at Bridgetown WA our Telecentre has now fitted an extra phone line, so you can all come through Bridgetown in the beautiful South West and plug your laptop in for a small fee. My ISP (Westnet) has a dial in number for cost of local call Australia wide.

Meanwhile, Telecentres in a selection of small towns all through WA are community run centres with public access computers; some have facilities for plugging in your laptop. I could do a survey of who has what and their opening hours (not all are open all day every day).

Perhaps we could all send in spots where we have found it easy and cheap to plug in a laptop and have a register of these somewhere on ExploreOz? It is certainly a growing need.
AnswerID: 68748

Reply By: Bill n Di - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:38

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:38
Thanks for all the replies.

We will look at the Hyundai TX60B as an option. Is this a digital or CDMA phone?

We do need to check email fairly regularly as we are including a research and development factor into our trip - we are currently preparing to market a new 4WD roof rack and boat loader - and so will be mostly coastal this trip.

Our current ISP is accessible via the internet as well as Outlook and this is what we are familiar with. I guess if we wanted to send / download images then via a mobile it would be expensive - but just mail would be fine.

Can you download at eg a library? Has anyone any horror stories of what not to do/avoid with email etc??

Thanks everyone for all your help - this is a great site and so helpful.

Regards,

Bill n Di

AnswerID: 68775

Follow Up By: Disco_Inferno - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:35
CDMA I boughht one today and ordered the cable
The software can be downloaded from the internet
Allows you go put all your phone numbers and info direct into the phone
Have to wait till I get the cable in next few days to load all up to the phone
FollowupID: 329378

Reply By: Bill n Di - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:37

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:37
I went to buy 1 of the Hyundai phones - but no data cables in WA yet!! Amazing!

Will try the GMA site to see if they still have them before getting the phone. I can't imagine why they would be sold without a data cable these days.

Dian
AnswerID: 69785

Sponsored Links