Insurance for extended travel around Oz

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1485 Views:1597 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My family and I are planning to travel around Oz for 2-4 years fulfilling 3 month contracts as nurses in various outback towns. Our 80 series will be our lifeblood and also contain all our possessions between contracts. We seem to be having trouble finding insurance to cover the cruiser and camping gear for such an extended time away. So called 4wd insurers are particularly unhelpful. Does any one have some suggestions or advice?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dougie - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
Just an addit to my question. TCIS will only insure for up to 3 months which I believe is misleading advertising. Dougie
AnswerID: 4837

Reply By: Gary Wright - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Dougie,

On my families trip around OZ last year we experienced a vehicle fire in the Gibson Desert causing computer failure. We were rescued by Capricorn Roadhouse,
had the vehicle carried on a road train from Capricorn to Perth and then repaired at Mitsubishi. The total bill was around $8000. Luckily
we were insured with Western QBE. They were fabulous, nothing was a problem during the experience. All I had to do was ring QBE Albury office,
tell them we were ringing from a public phone at Capricorn Roadhouse and they rang us back to save our call costs. They organised for
an assessor to inspect the vehicle immediately it arrived in Perth and authorised repairs on the spot. When other problems were found they authorised them.

As you can tell I am really happy. Having had problems before with other insurers I can only sing the praises of Western QBE.

Regards and good luck with your trip Gary W.

AnswerID: 4843

Follow Up By: Dougie - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks very much for your reply Greg. I'll give them a call.
Dougie
FollowupID: 2057

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dougie,
I'll be intersted in any info you find out cause my wife and I are planning the same sort of trip, except we arnt nurses :)
My email is posand2002@yahoo.co.nz.

Thanks and good luck in your travels
Andrew
AnswerID: 4852

Reply By: michelle - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Dougie, I, too, would be interested in what you find out - we're in the same boat (derek_jenkins@hotmail.com) Thanks
AnswerID: 4884

Reply By: Peta & Mick - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hey Dougie,
I have been going mad with insurance brokers looking for insurance on our cruiser and traytop camper & equipment as we too are planning a trip around Australia but can't seem to get any insurance. I tried TCIS but they wouldn't look at us as we do not have a permanent garaged address. If you do get any good advice, please let me know too.
Thanks
my e-mail address is fishcod@optusnet.com.au
AnswerID: 4898

Reply By: Geof- Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
Does anyone have an answer to this question. We too are planning on the big OZ trip starting in March. But like everyone else cant find insurance.
Surely there is something available to us. We wont have an address as such once we set off - like a lot of you.

David and or Michelle, Here is a challange for you!

See if you can come up with something for us all
AnswerID: 5021

Sponsored Links