dry ice and beer storage

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:24
ThreadID: 14855 Views:3755 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi,

sorry i didn't add this to the other dry ice thread, but i'm new and couldn't find out how to post to an old thread. anyway, i am going to a music festival for 4-5 days and i need a way to make ice last as long as possible. i'm going to have lots of beer that i need to keep cold and i'll be opening the cooler pretty frequently. i'm not planning on being able to make runs to get ice once i'm there. i've got a very large (i think 150qt) cooler. i've read about wrapping dry ice in foil and newspapers and putting it on the bottom of the cooler and topping it with wet ice. i've also read about putting dry ice in a small styrofoam cooler and putting that inside the large cooler, and filling the rest with wet ice. i'm only going to be putting as much beer as i need in the cooler at one time, and i won't leave beer in overnight. so my question is, do you think either of these methods would do what i need? if the beer is rotated regularly and quickly can i do this safely without the beer freezing? do i need to worry about pressure building up within the cooler when it's closed from the dry ice? how much dry ice will i need? i'm not so much worried about the cost, having ice consistently for 4-5 days is what's important. any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:36

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:36
A good large esky and ice made in Your Own deep freeze to take up 2/3 of volume should easily last that distance.
AnswerID: 68761

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:10
Just a lot of block ice. You don't want to freeze the beer. Be different if you were taking vodka I presume. Plenty of insulation and clothes over the esky.

The more insulation the better............
AnswerID: 68770

Follow Up By: Peter O - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:28

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:28
I agree with John, large blocks of icecan be bought at some country servive stations or you can make them your self out of 4litre ice cream containers. I did this on a regular basis travelling in summer (35C +) and the ice easily lasted 4 days. if you make your own ice it is best to do so a few weeks before you head off, allow the ice to freeze properly. About one week in the freezer at least.

As for the beer freezing I never had that problem, I used to pack the freezer with everything that was to stay in it before I left home providing it is large enough to fit all items.

I don't know much a qrt is, I suport the metric system every inch of the way.

Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 329281

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:07
my experience has shown that the ice made for retail is not as cold as you make yourself.

The freezers at pubs etc and at cold stores areonly about -15c

your average domestic freezer can get it down to -23c
FollowupID: 329287

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:05
Nudie, my limited knowledge of water if it is pure is that it freezes at 0c but air surrounding it can be cooler. If you want really cold ice you can put salt with the water and freeze it. We use 2-3 litre milk bottles for holding the frozen brine. The more of those you have the better too. Have one with just ordinary water and it will be the last the thaw, but it will also be warmer than the brine ice too.

With 3 Kgs of ice you buy at the pubs there is also about 2-4 litres of air which takes all the space. Air is cheaper than water and makes it easy to spread over your drinks as it breaks up. Buy block ice or make it yourself.

I have had frozen beer by the way, it pushed it's way out of the bottle by cracking the glass which is a bit untidy for drinking too. Lips tend to bleed for some reason
FollowupID: 329304

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 18:45
we are not talking about getting the product (the food, cans of beer or what ever) colder.
FACT: Colder ice stays solid for a longer period of time! ...providing all other variables are the same!
FollowupID: 329345

Reply By: TD6 - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:12
Matt,

Make your own ice but put a lot of salt in it. Make the solution as strong as you can and allow at least a week for it to freeze properly. I've made up some stainless steel boxes which have tapered sides ie: slope out from the bottom. These hold about 5 litres and once frozen turn the boxes upside down, pour boiling water over the base and the ice drops out. 2 of these in an 80 litre Evacool will last me approx 5 days in summer in the back of the boat. This esky is constantly being opened for food, drink, and sometimes putting the catch in.
AnswerID: 68792

Sponsored Links