Jackaroo - Idle/rev problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:18
ThreadID: 14868 Views:6347 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday everyone,

I have a 2000 TD Jackaroo and it is currently getting fixed (united fuel injection) for a idle/rev problem. I was wondering if anyone with a TD jack has experienced the following problems and how they were repaired.

- After driving for long distances at above 100 km/h and coming to a stop the revs cannot stay constant at idle. This goes on for about three minutes before the engine maintains a constant idle again.
- When in neutral and the revs are held at approximately 1500, again the engine cannot maintain constant revs (needle goes up and down slightly).
- In addition to above, when accelerating or driving at a constant speed the engine often has hesitations / surges. This really gives me the ?.

My oil is changed every 5 K (5 - 30w castrol formula R), fuel filter every 10 K and air filter is a K&N. If anyone has any advice (besides selling it!) or has experienced any of these problems, please fill me in. Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 15:59

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 15:59
For what its worth, my 99 SE TD Jack has never been a problem with the idling /surge etc.(but there have been other issues). I like it a lot .... with a bit of sympathetic management, its been a good vehicle to date. I use 10W-40 Castrol Magnatec - do you need the 5 - 30 ? I'm up to speed with the oil issue, but guess that factor might be playing a small part possibly. I do the oil and main filter every 5 with the oil, main and minor filter at 10's. Have used Castrol dynamax synthetic 10w-40 too.....made for trucks....'bout the same price.
AnswerID: 68825

Reply By: Turbos - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 17:47
Gooday Banjo,

Yeah I reckon the Jacks a great vehical too. I've tried all sorts of oil during the 80 K i've had the vehical. I used 5-50w mobil 1, 10-40 magnatec, 10-30w holden oil? and the 5-30 castrol formula R that i'm currently using. The type of oil has not made a difference to my problems (bugger!) but there are definately slight differences between the jacks operation when using the different oils. I found the magnatec to be very good and i was using that for most of the 80 K. Since i've changed to 5-30w formula R I have noticed better performance when the engine is cold, although i'm in Perth and this will obviously change with your chosen habitat!! Anyway back onto the idle/rev problem, I contacted united fuel injection and they seem to think it may be the oil regulator switch (they have contacted holden and isuzu and they are scratching their heads also). The other problem i had with my jack were buggered glow plugs. I had new ones fitted, however the plug in the number one cylinder has corroded in there and now on startup i have a cold cylinder which blows a bit of white smoke. Apparently the only way to get the plug out is to remove the head and drill from the block side!

Cheers for the reply,
AnswerID: 68842

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:17
My Jackaroo is a 99 SE Diesel and as I live in Brisbane cold winter's are not an issue , I removed the fuse for the glowplugs as it starts just as well as when they are connected (direct injection helps) The reason I did this is long term reliability , my previous was a 86 2.2 Turbo diesel and burnt out several glowplugs in the 10 years that I owned it , one of these broke off and went through the turbo
(not happy Jan).
I also run castrol RX super 15W40 once again in Brisbane no difference in starting to the 5W30 the car came with . I believe the RX is a good oil and plan to keep the vehicle for many years and Ks. Only probs I have had is injector seals which I replaced my self then I received the recall notice to replace the injector seals (grumble grumble)which I took advantage of as they fit a double seal and sleeve with this particular work When they did this work the throttle position sensor failed and the dealer replaced at no cost to me (car has 85Ks and out of warranty so pleased with that ) I love the vehicle and hope for many years of enjoyable driving.
AnswerID: 70008

Follow Up By: Turbos - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:39
Apparently United fuel Injection have found the problem with my Jack. The oil regulator switch was replaced and they have said that the car drives alot better and without the surging and hesitations. I'm picking the car up this arvo so we'll see - better ? be fixed, this problem has been bugging me for some time now. Rigor I also recall my car having a new TPS fitted and Holden paid for it if I remember. Cheers!
FollowupID: 330253

Follow Up By: Turbos - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 15:01

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 15:01
Good news, it was the oil regulator switch/sensor. Although I still have the smoke on start up and the turbo not spooling up at idle (cold start).bleepoff.
FollowupID: 330623

Reply By: Quambie - Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 18:54

Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 18:54
Hi Turbos,
I also have the same model jack in auto, after driving at any speed when you stop & put into park revs go up & down. Changed fuel & oilfilters with no change, then a week later revs went all over the place almost stalling. After this no problems with idle anymore when parking. Has almost stalled & revs all over the place again three weeks later after service. It's like she is starving for fuel or an air blockage, only does this when first started.

Did you have similar problem as these.
AnswerID: 72836

Follow Up By: Turbos - Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:35

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:35
Gooday Quambie,
Your problem sounds somewhat similar to mine. When mine was in neutral (man) the revs would fluctuate between ~ 300 and 1100 rpm, although this only occurred after driving at high speed. At some stages mine did also sound like it wanted to stall. United Fuel Injection in Perth did the work and found the problem to be an oil pressure regulator. The total cost was 1015 bucks (~730 in parts) and a fair bit of time on the dyno and computer trying to diagnose the problem. My jack also would hesitate and surge during normal driving. Good news is it now drives 200 times better. Although I do still have some smoke on start up, which they believe is caused by a dead glowplug in the number 1 cylinder (corroded in there - apparently can happen a bit in the jacks due to the length of the plug). Also they mentioned that the oil pressure regulator is the first they have replaced on a jackaroo, and they do alot of work on these vehicals as Holden are absolutely 100% useless!!! Im tempted to remove the holden badges and replace them with isuzu ones!!
FollowupID: 333015

Sponsored Links