FJ60 rear diff

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:15
ThreadID: 14882 Views:3283 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello we have hj60 with noisy rear diff,am advised it needs bearing kit at approx $700 parts and labour,Question can this be a diy job at home,have rebuilt engines etc previously but never pulled a diff apart beforeany special tools required.Thanks for any help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moz - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:02
G'day Brian,
I did this exact job 6 months ago and it is not a job you would do yourself
unless you're pretty confident and have access to press.
You need a press to press on the new pinion bearings.
Special tools are needed to adjust the preload on the carrier bearings.
A dial indicator is needed to measure backlash and bearing blue paste
to adjust the mesh of the crown and pinion.

I had access to a press, dial indicator and paste. And I made a tool which
allowed me to use my torque wrench on the side adjusting nuts.
It took a bit feel to get it right.
I did not get into the spider gears because they need a bit of mucking around
with measuring and adding/subtracting shims. Mine were O.K yours might
not be however.
To save money buy a bearing kit from a bearing company (mine was less
than $100) includes bearings,seal and gasket. Then take out the diff centre at home and give it to your diff shop.
This job should only take a couple of hours and should save you quite a bit.

Lotsaluck,
Moz

AnswerID: 68896

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 22:05
Brian.
If the pinion bearings are still good you can stop the niose with only the cost of the gasket. The load on the diff carrier bearings is 90% on the thrust side so you can assume that the other side is still ok, this gives you the reference for adjusting the worn side, all you do is wind in the adjuster on the thrust side untill there is no end float and then go to the next notch, jobs done. If the pinion is loose you can just tighten the nut a little to fix it but if the bearings feel rough you will have to replace them. Before the many arm chair experts start talking about bearing fialure let me assure you that the hardening on the tapered roller bearings is much thicher than the small amoumt you will be adjusting. Eric.
AnswerID: 68919

Reply By: Member - Mick S (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:02

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:02
Brian.
I believe it was suggested in a previous thread that the diffs in 60 series are interchangeable front & rear. If cost is an issue might this be an option worth considering (assuming of course the front diff is OK, which in most cases it will be, having seen much less use)
Mick.
AnswerID: 69004

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:03

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:03
I second that. you should have a new diff in the front, so swapping them will give you the opertunity to regrease the c/v joints....probably a 200 job for a mechanic all up (swap and regrease c/v plus 4 wheel brgs.
Andrew
FollowupID: 329434

Reply By: brian - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 17:52

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 17:52
Thankyou for the ideas never thought of swapping the diff,if the bearings are worn will i still have the noise after swapping diffs.
thankyou for your advice.
AnswerID: 69065

Follow Up By: floyd - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 20:21
If the bearings are worn the noise will only be heard when engaging 4WD (when the front diff is turning).

I have swapped the diffs over in an HJ 61 Fact Turbo and they change straight over. Instant new rear diff. Use it for 300,000 and then get one recoed.

The amount that the front diff is used you will be able to put up with a noisy front bearing. Just watch that it is not about to collapse as it will let you down earlier not later.
FollowupID: 329484

Reply By: Of Mice & Men - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:28

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:28
Brian,

Did the same job on my 80 series last year after being given a quote for over $1000 to re-new four main bearings, 2 pinion shaft bearings & 2 diff carrier bearings. If you are able to re-build engines then I would give it a go. It is not that difficult if you have some mechanical aptitude. The problem with mine was the pinion bearings, but I replaced all four anyway. Once I stripped the diff I took the offending parts to my local mechanic (along with the new bearings), & paid him $100 to press the old bearings off & press the new ones on. It took him less then an hour to do this, but it is worth the money because you do need the special press plates etc.
All up it cost just over $300-, which included the four bearings, the crush tube on the pinion shaft, front oil seal & diff gasket from toyota, & new oil. If you know somebody with a press, & you only replace the stuffed bearings, you could proaberly get that figure down to under $200.

Regards, OM&M.
AnswerID: 69163

Sponsored Links