snow/mud chains

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1489 Views:4471 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, looking at buying a set of snow/mud chains, for my alpine adventure next year, how do they go in the mud? can they be fitted when bogged up to the hubs, by digging around the tyre? Is there much difference between the paterns, diamond or ladder(i think). I imagine a 2nd hand set would be just as good as new, are there many for sale out there? Johno.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eric - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
johno, using chains means that you are in the thick of it and probably should be avoided in our high country. If you need chains I would look for a detour, as the subsequent erosion from the damage caused by the chains is far worse than that caused by normal mud terrain tyres. On the other hand if you are after a new set of konig easy fit diamond pattern chains - for the snow - at a second hand price (half price) email me and I'll do you a good deal!!!!
AnswerID: 4882

Follow Up By: Johno - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Eric, sorry to scare you like that. I live in Brisbane, and plan on using them as mud chains at places like Landcruiser Park and Emu creek e.t.c. And then using them as snow chains (bitumen only), this time next year. The price of your chains sound alright, do you live anywhere near brissy? I'd still like to know if they can be fitted when bogged? Johno
FollowupID: 2087

Reply By: eric - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
johno, a proper set of mud chains, pirhanna I think market them, are more the thing for mud, they have a bulkier profile and will take the damage of finding rocks etc in the mud. snow chains are more for breaking the icy crust and are therefore a lower profile. and anything is possible if you have the time, but i wouldn't like to be digging under a tyre to place mud chains on after the vehicle is bogged!
AnswerID: 4912

Sponsored Links