tent sleeping gear

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1490 Views:1703 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would like campers opinions on types of sleeping gear. We want something comfortable, that packs up quickly not take up too much room and suitable from north to south of this continent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: O Z doc - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Have a look at a self inflating mattress. These roll up to quite a small pack and don't weight very much. You set them up by undoing some stopbleeps and they suck air into themselves(just chuck them into the tent to inflate whilst you get on with setting the rest of the camp up). To pack away you just roll them up to express the air and then seal the stop bleeps.
We have a 'semi' self inflating- doesnt roll up as small, but about half the price of a fully self inflating. The queen size has plenty of room for two adults. Placed straight on the floor of the tent- you get a great sleep and no disturbance if your partner is moving around(not like an air mattress).They come with a thick washable vinyl covering, or ours has vinyl one side and velour type vinyl the other(this is so your nylon sleeping bag doesnt slide you off).We have even used ours as a spare 'bed' in the house when not camping.
AnswerID: 4855

Reply By: Trent - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Get the warmest sleeping bag money can buy :) You can always unzip it if its too hot!
AnswerID: 4868

Reply By: jimbo - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
We've had a good run until recently with self-inflating Mountain Mats (from Mountain Designs), which are similar to Therma-rests. They pack small, as do our DMH synthetic sleeping bags, so that we can take them on overnight walks as well. They have been very comfortable on hard ground but recently they began to leak slowly overnight. After replacing valves twice, I water-tested in the bath. To my horror I found that the air was escaping from many tiny "pinbleeps" on the surface of the mats, rather than the seam or valve. We almost always had them enclosed in sleeping sheets on a ground sheet or inside the tent, so I'm not sure when/how this occurred.

I would recommend them if you want compact, lightweight sleeping gear and a comfy night's sleep, but be aware that the fabric is not as hardy as it seems and as the manufacturers boast.
AnswerID: 4891

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
I worked out what the pinbleeps were but the stopbleeps have me puzzled.
AnswerID: 4914

Follow Up By: O Z Doc - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
stopc-o-c-k-s
FollowupID: 2101

Sponsored Links