protest meeting 22nd!

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:35
ThreadID: 14906 Views:1864 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
from outetlimits

Sorry guys but I just got this 5 mins ago .....

---------------------------------------------------------------

PUBLIC MEETING

Colac Otway Performing Arts Centre ( COPAC )

Thursday 22nd July 2004

7.00pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Background is basically this ..... There has been a petition floating around locally for the last week or 2 in regards to the Permant Closurer of the Jancourt Forrest and including it within the proposed "Otway National Park"

Premier Steve Bracks wants it closed of fully to all persons except Parks Officials.

As i said I have just received this and there are no further contact details availiavle on the flyer. Can any-one add to this ?
At this stage I gather the flyer is from a group that wishes to keep it open

Kingy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:30

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:30
Truckster,

Trying to find out for a while this afternoon what is being organised for this meeting tonight. Apparently being organised by people to do with the Colac Otway Shire Council and in opposition to the amalgamation as there are quiet a few commercial interests that would be affected.

Interests like plant nursery, quarrying as well as recreational 4x4.....
AnswerID: 69043

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:58

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:58
Meeting is being chaired by the mayor of the Colac Otway Shire. I think the shire is trying to focus opinion on the issue

Is for interested people with two members from VEAC - Victorian Environmental Assessment Council to attend to provide information as I understand it.
VEAC is 3rd floor 250 Victoria Parade Melbourne. Ph 9412 5143
FollowupID: 329447

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:18

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:18
Kewl mr...
thanks for doing the footwork...
FollowupID: 329449

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 20:01

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 20:01
Jancourt forest is only a small patch, hardly worth the fuel to drive to Colac, BUT its probably the thin edge of the wedge
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 329480

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 21:19

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 21:19
Suggest you give back the grand prix............and all will be well!!!!

]
AnswerID: 69127

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:38

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:38
Folks,

Have talked to someone who was at the meeting last night and who has done a lot of homework on the particular issue. The meeting was well attended last night and has two people from VEAC there. There are four people appointed by Minister Thwaites to VEAC and it has their job to make the decisions. Arms length from the government so as not get their hands dirty. Minister Thwaites does not like it to be seen he has soiled hands.

My information suggests that each school child who makes a poster in class as instructed by a teacher on old growth forest will be regarded as a vote against such logging. If there is a four wheel driver who writes in the same is regarded as group of four wheel drivers - as such the group is regarded as one, not as in the case of the class. VEAC are not listening.

It is suggested that until the four wheeled community adopt the tactics of the green movements they will not be listened to. You folks east of Melbourne will be next cab off the rank...........
AnswerID: 69201

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:24

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:24
"It is suggested that until the four wheeled community adopt the tactics of the green movements they will not be listened to. You folks east of Melbourne will be next cab off the rank..........."

I agree with you here, just jumping up and down when something comes up isnt working, we need a permanent voice/association that DOES something for US.... But again, it wont happen.

thansk for the info.
FollowupID: 329565

Sponsored Links