GPS recommendation

Submitted: Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1495 Views:1817 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone recommend a handheld GPS that will be used for 4WDing and mountain bike riding. I'm currently thinking of the Etrex, but does it have enough features.

Any help would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trent - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
We used the eMap on a recent trip. It proved to be very reliable. Having the inbuilt map was actually very useful, and this is perhaps the main advantage over the Etrex. We had is connected to a mounted laptop up front with OziExplorer, and downloaded the waypoints into the unit so that we didnt need to use the laptop continously (you'd eventually blow a harddrive). Having the map on view, which is suprisingly detailed for a handheld unit, was well worth the few extra bucks.
AnswerID: 4867

Reply By: Fred - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Jeepy, Ive been using a Garmin 12XL for some time now. It has a South Pacific data base so as you travel there are locations constantly appearing in the moving map. There are locations worldwide in it but for Australia you get even very small places eg Licola. As a minimum choose a unit which will store 500 waypoints and at least 20 routes - these specifications do me nicely. It's also waterproof, comes with a carry bag has illuminated screen - all of which are useful and also, waypoints, tracks and routes can be downloaded to PC and then uploaded to the unit if need be later. I sore all tracks after a trip and if going there again I upload so that I have a track to follow - very useful in bush areas full of unmarked tracks!! Cheers
AnswerID: 4870

Reply By: Fred - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Jeepy, Ive been using a Garmin 12XL for some time now. It has a South Pacific data base so as you travel there are locations constantly appearing in the moving map. There are locations worldwide in it but for Australia you get even very small places eg Licola. As a minimum choose a unit which will store 500 waypoints and at least 20 routes - these specifications do me nicely. It's also waterproof, comes with a carry bag has illuminated screen - all of which are useful and also, waypoints, tracks and routes can be downloaded to PC and then uploaded to the unit if need be later. I sore all tracks after a trip and if going there again I upload so that I have a track to follow - very useful in bush areas full of unmarked tracks!! Cheers
AnswerID: 4871

Reply By: Macca - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

These sites have every conceivable bit of info on GPS systems - should be ample to help you decide!!
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/
http://joe.mehaffey.com/
AnswerID: 4876

Reply By: mal58 - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Jeepy,
Another good site to look at for comparison of current models is http://www.gpsnow.com/index.html. This is an American site, so remember to convert the $'s to Aus.
Rgds,
Mal58
AnswerID: 4887

Reply By: Member - Sam - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Jeepy, if you have a Whitworth's store near you, check them out. I purchased my eMap and accessories from them a while back, and their prices for the Garmin stuff was significantly cheaper than other places I checked out. This still seems to be the case. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4900

Reply By: Maurie - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Garmin Etrex and I was disappointed in the Lat and Long display as it is very small and I some times find it difficult to distinguish the 8, 9 5 and 6. I would advise you to have a close look at the display before buying. Otherwise I find it OK.
AnswerID: 4920

Reply By: coops - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
Pretty damned happy with my Garmin GPS Plus 2
AnswerID: 4935

Sponsored Links