1st time to Fraser.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:20
ThreadID: 14959 Views:2514 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Off to Fraser next week for the 1st time, will be towing a rental off road trailer
was looking at making camp at Central station would i have any problems getting the tralier there.? would i be better off at another camp site and suggestions??
i know all about dropping tyre pres down etc was just wondering about the track conditions etc....
any help muchly appreciated.
thanks steve.
oh yeh got a LC-80 series.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: govo - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:47

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:47
We have taken a camper trailer over on lots of trips,never had any trouble,hopefully you will strike it lucky and the track will be graded,just watch the march flys at central though,the bite from those little buggers certainly makes you yelp.we always stay at cethedral beach which is much nicer and the rangers leave you alone as well.Going over in Sept,might see you there...have a good trip.
AnswerID: 69388

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:52

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:52
You can drive virtually anywhere on Fraser with the right tyre press.
With any camp site there, just try to get a spot with protection from onshore winds at this time of the year. It's a remarkable place-- enjoy.
AnswerID: 69389

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:23

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:23
Just wondering where you hired trailer from, most places wont let you u take it to Fraser
AnswerID: 69408

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 16:46

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 16:46
Hi Brad
have a look at http://www.completecampsite.com.au
they seem ok with fraser, they also do tours there.!!
cheers steve
FollowupID: 329737

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:32

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:32
Steve,
There are lots of beautiful places on Fraser! The right tyre pressures are the trick! And don't forget to let the trailer pressures down as well..... We found that Bushmans Ultra roll on insect repellant is good, but try a little first as some people can have a bad reaction to it. It certainly helps keep the march flies at bay! See as much of Fraser as you can, it's a gorgeous place!!
AnswerID: 69410

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 16:44

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 16:44
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply, Will give the bushmans a go, are the march flies around this time of the year.?
can't wait to see as much of the island as i can, taking wife and 9 month old boy, looking to stay at central stattion campsite.
cheers steve
FollowupID: 329736

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 17:59

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 17:59
Don't know about recent conditions. Like most beaches they change all the time. Generally quite easy if you are careful.

Re camping, most sites at the redeveloped Central Station are only suitable for tent based camping, so set up early. If not beach camping, then Dundaburra is another decent camping area.
AnswerID: 69424

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:40

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:40
We did our first trip to Fraser in April and camped at Central Station with our campertrailer, we had no trouble getting there. We went inland at Eurong, and came our the same way.

You'll have a ball it's a great place to visit. The Central Station campsites were great!!
AnswerID: 69445

Reply By: kiss'n'dirt - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 07:26

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 07:26
Hi

The new camp sites at Central Station is awesome. (No fires though), you'll need electric lighting. You'll need $1 coins for the hot showers in the shower block. The occassional Goanna might stick their head in to have a look. You'll need to put up with the Pommy back packers who mostly camp there for 1 nighters. They keep their bloody noise up all night.
Take a brick with you to chuck if you want them to shut up. I just took the leatherman on 1 of their tyres.

Towing a trailer may be a prob as their are only so many sites that don't have the poles or steps to separate the car park from the camp site. Really is designed for tent camps, Hikers camp sites are up the end. You do have a group camp site on your left as you drive in where you should be able to pitch your camper.

I think with a camp trailer, you're better off on the eastern beach. Go north of Eurong for about 200M. From 200M to 500M, you should find a really nice shelterd are to drive in and out of. The dues are not to high so you can still see the ocean but just enough to be sheltered from the wind. A small breeze does come through to keep the flies away as well. if you go here, spread you stuff out to claim your land. As you'll prob (unlucky) get last minute back packers as well who has no idea where to camp.

The fire ban is on and off. The fire ban was lifted just as i was leaving a little while ago.

hope this helps
AnswerID: 69480

Sponsored Links