"L" COBB COOKING - CHICKEN

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 06:48
ThreadID: 14980 Views:2447 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
As the book says you gotta keep at it till it works for you, melt in your mouth chicken, great stuffing but the potatoes I still am working on, a thought crossed my mind that it might be these particular potatoes they are "all purpose" and very yellow.

Chicken from the Cobb

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 07:46

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 07:46
Got it to work on a leg of lamb last Friday.

Used 8 beads. Temperature with lid on and no food >180 Deg Celsius, measured with accurate RTD Thermometer. Once food went in, temperature never got aboce 150 Deg. Seasoned lamb with commercial lamb seasoning. Rested lamb on SS tea pot stand I purchased from reject shop for $2.00. Turned after about 40 mins. replace lid and stuck a BBQ thermometer (not RTD mentioned above) through lid and into roast so I knew when it was cooked. Used those frozen roast potatos that you see advertised on tele. All up took about 2 1/2 hours. It now CAN come with me to the Cape next month! Secret is patience and I think maximum dinner for two.
AnswerID: 69482

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:01
How did you cook the frozen potoatoes? I know they are very small in size.

Using a BBQ Termometer is a great idea, especially if you like the meat cooked not rare as we do.

I dont know if you saw my earlier post but the beer damper in the booklet came out great after cooking the lamb. It was nice toasted and MOTH had it for lunch with soup. For me you could taste the hops and if I did it for mixed company I couldnt see why you couldnt use a can of lemonade as you do in the scones as subsitute and some sultanas say to make it a sweet one.

Lamb & Damper

Carolyn

FollowupID: 329789

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:21

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:21
I am thinking about getting a Cobb...especialy after your talk and pics..but are you saying they arent great for more than 2 people?
FollowupID: 329826

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:41

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:41
No I am not saying that, the main problem I am having is that I need to cook the potatoes longer lol, you would know if your family needs more than say a 2K leg of lamb. The vegies can stack up inside the bottom of the Cobb as well as the top, on reading the booklet more closely you can put the stirfry attachment on to make the "oven smaller" and partly precook the vegies before adding the meat and the larger oven lid.

We are just two now and had a family of three girls who were not big meat eaters. Some teenage boys could probably eat the whole leg plus 8 potatoes lol.

The picture that comes with the Cobb shows 10 thin sausages being cooked on the grill, would that feed your mob? I would think its probably designed for an "average" family of four.

I would never have bothered about taking a roast away on a camping trip but other posts have mentioned how much there were enjoyed and so I put the Cobb on my wish list. I then thought the leg of lamb or roast would make an ideal ice brick for a couple of days in the eski while it defrosted to then be baked for dinner.

I was taught at school to preheat the oven before baking which usually I allow 10 minutes for so the preheating of the beads for 20 is no hassle. I think tired at the end of a day to put it on, perhaps use the frozen vegies as suggested by Lyn, add the meat after 1/2 an hour, then add tin peas or beans or frozen ones in foil later on. Means a good meal not much effort and all cooked in the Cobb. The beer damper was simply the beer mixed with flour and salt, took a couple of seconds while the lamb rested before being carved.

Carolyn

FollowupID: 329828

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:00

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:00
Frozen potatoes cooked on the standard plate as you would do with normal potatoes. Because they are pre-cooked and small they're ready in about 40 mins.
I'm thinking, next time, I'll cut the potatoes into smaller pieces, par-boil and lightly oil them before putting them on the plate.

PS Those marinated chicken wings you buy in a sealed plastic bag from Woolies are great in the Cobb. Some boiled rice and a fresh green salad. Quick, easy and very tasty.
Regards,
Lynn2's old man!
FollowupID: 329915

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:34

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:34
Cut it out you 2 i'm droolin on the keys for crying out loud.
AnswerID: 69505

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:17

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:17
If you think thats bad have a look at the pics they supplied...bugger now I have to make a roast tonight... if I can hold out till tonight
FollowupID: 329824

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:43

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:43
Thats why i'm drooling, us too roast lamb. mmmmmmmmmmm laaaammmb.

Baz.
FollowupID: 329829

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:48

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:48
Ha Ha Baz, BBQ here but Kev refuses to cook it on the Cobb, I will have a go at a Bread and Butter Pudding on it, thats another recipe they say can be put on after the roast. In fact they say some people do a roast, a hot dessert and then a damper bread, not bad for a few heat beads.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 329830

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 07:03

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 07:03
The Bread and Butter Custard came out fine, just as I remember when my Granny used to make it, lol, and thats saying something

Bread and Butter Custard
FollowupID: 329912

Sponsored Links