Roof Rack Experience's

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:33
ThreadID: 14985 Views:2200 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just picked up my shinny new roof rack, thanks Andrew !
www.philp1.ma.cx

just a few of quick questions for some suggestions.

1. I need to secure the second spare wheel, do I use the actual Rachet Type Tie downs or the other ones that use a spring loaded "friction" mechanism ? any problems with dust/dirt using these type of fastening systems.

2. I'd like to store my gas bottle on the roof rack, any suggestions on mounting the gas bottle ?

3. Has anyone tried those portable steps that fit on the car wheel to get extra height to access the roof rack ? good/bad/ worth the money ?

Thanks in advance
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:02

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:02
Can't help with the fasteners on the roof we just threw everything into one of those roof sacks. Steps we just stood up on the wheels of the car but just remember don't have a belt buckle on - it does not go well with duco.
AnswerID: 69510

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:12

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:12
With the gas bottle/s I made up a pplywood piece that I screw to the rack with a hole cut in it to locate the base of the bottle and another one that goes around the neck of the bottle with elastic straps to hold it down. (I know the dangers of these straps but I like the auto tensioning factor of them). As for the step doovers, I have one used it about twice, and now I just climb on the wheel at the side, or on the rear bumper then via the spare on to the rack. You would have to find somewhere to carry it in the vehicle and as if its not hard enough with all the bits and pieces allready. Dont bother. For your wheel - with enough imagination and some all-thread, ply, and perhaps a welder ( or friend with one) and a wing-nut anythings possible.
AnswerID: 69521

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:34

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:34
I put the gas bottle in one of those plastic crates ( like a milk crate ) @ tie down with ratchet straps. As to spare wheel I got a special ratchet type tie down for wheels from either TJM or Opp Lock not expensive.
AnswerID: 69524

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:22

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:22
G'day Bob,
I'm with you for the plastic crate for the 9kg gas bottle, but I confess to not having had to do this for some years and when I did I only secured it with 2 occy straps .......I know; it would have been totally insufficient in a collision or rollover.
Before I had the dual spare wheel carrier, i carried an extra spare on the rack. I got a length of 1/2" threaded bar and bolted it to the rack and put the wheel over it and then whacked on a nut to hold it down.
FollowupID: 329852

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:11

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 15:11
Hey there Phil,

I made a gas bottle holder that has a checkerplate bottom with a plate that has nuts welded to it, you sit the holder on top of the rack then slip the plate underneath the rack and bolt it on, it then has some angle welded straight up to a fixed curve of steel that goes halfway around the bottle, the other half of the curve is attached with large bolts and wing nuts, and it sits in there as solidly as you can get. it also makes a great spot to put a spare tyre casing with the gas bottle sticking up thru the centre, then either sort of tie down to hold the tyre down is fine.

If you want to know more let me know and I will get a pic to you, it was fairly simple to make apart from getting the curved bands right, that was a bugger, but it holds it really tight, I did have a bit of flat steel made to go over the top but it really doesnt need it.
AnswerID: 69528

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 17:04

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 17:04
Hi PHill:

1. I had tied my spare using tie downs, but may not have done it properly as it worked its way loose. So I bought a length of chain to tie it down. Worked fine.

2. I store my gas bottle in a plastic milk crate, and use chain attached to the gas bottle top secure it. Gotta love chain !!!

3. I have a step and I use mine a bit, both for getting stuff off the roof rack, working under the bonnet, and washing the roof of my 80 Series. I find mine very useful.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 69546

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:27

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:27
Phil,
I added a bit to Puddin's comment about the first bit of your question.
As far as the step that fits over your wheel is concerned, I don't own one and always thought they were a bit of a wank. As far as the roof rack access is concerned, my feelings haven't changed.
However, recently when i was helping (or hindering) Gerk with his Ox Winch, we had access to one of the these. For gaining access into the engine bay it was really good and I'm considering getting one for that reason alone. I always stand on a plastic crate (the same sort I spoke about earlier for gas bottle storage on rack). Trouble with that is I have been bucked off more than once when i've been stretching too far under the bonnet and ended up making a fool of myself.
Cya mate
AnswerID: 69555

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:01
You get Bucked off eh?
FollowupID: 329858

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:21

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:21
Yeh, sure have....... Haven't you????????????/ LOLOLOL
FollowupID: 329926

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:39

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:39
Hi Phil P,

Before I got my wheel carrier I bought a J bolt from a 4x4 shop. The J bit slips through the mesh of the rack and the threaded top of the J goes through one of the stud holes on the wheel. Just slip a wheel nut and it won't go anywhere. It will last longer in the weather than straps as well.

regards
chris

AnswerID: 69582

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 00:22

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 00:22
I would drive off with the step left on the wheel. I great idea, but I just know I would!
AnswerID: 69658

Sponsored Links