Steering Damper + Venting.

Submitted: Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 18:02
ThreadID: 15030 Views:1905 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've read through the archives and am not convinced as to weather my problems is steering damper related or not.
The 95 Surf of mine is feeling a little sloppy in the steering. On the freeway turn left, right just off centre and it's like it has play in it. You can feel that the front wheels are turning but not much, turn a little more and away she goes like normal.
Just wondering if this is the steering damper just worn out, as I can feel bumps in the road a little more than I used to as well, thought maybe it's leaked oil or somthing??
How much are new dampers normally?

Now for my venting (totally non 4wd related).
Went to blockbuster videos in Wanneroo yesterday to hire all three of the "matrix"movies as the missus hadn't seen them, and I hand't seen the third one. That way I figured we could veg out sunday arvo / night and watch all three.
WOULD YOU BELIVE they have all three of the movies as new releases!? That's $7 each for one night.
I spent ages trying to find it, before I went and asked and the "freindly" staff member who took me to the new releaes and said they are all there. I said thanks but no thanks and left.
That's just plain rude if you ask me! How long has the matrix been out for?? Two years, more?
Yeah yeah, I know it's petty, but that kind of crap get's up my goat!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 18:17

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 18:17
I have noticed that some of the more popular movies stay new releases for longer than others. I can recall trying to rent "Resevour Dogs" (Mind blank on spelling there!) and it was new release for years. We told them to stick it and ended up going to a place 30mins away out of principle as all other nearby stores didn't stock it as it was always getting nicked.

Utemad
AnswerID: 69736

Reply By: Magnus - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:00
Aaah,

Well now, all three are available for free download from the internet.
I wouldn't do such a thing of course, but some may.

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 69746

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:23

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:23
Takes too bloody long. Even with ADSL :-)

Utemad
FollowupID: 330003

Follow Up By: Magnus - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:17

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:17
What about cable?

Magnus
FollowupID: 330022

Reply By: banjodog - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:01

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:01
Food for thought >>>>>

EFS made by Cofap - $99.00 (not long bought one for my Hilux and has a 3 year / 60,000km warranty).

Monroe (Repco) - $95.00 plus $18.00 for the dust boot (quoted to me).

TJM / ARB / Pedders - all around the $125 / $130 (quoted to me).

All are 35mm bore and fit to the original mounts.
AnswerID: 69748

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:07

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:07
Thanks, that's not too bad eh? Might be worth doing anyway.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 329984

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:25

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:25
Hey Jeff M
Maybe nothing but mine had a little play in it when I bought it and all I had to do was get the steering box readjusted.There is an adjustment nut on the box somewhere. Does not work with rack and pinion steering though.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 69758

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:58
Hi Jeffm

Steering dampers dampen, they don't create freeplay. Freeplay has to be caused by something in the system which is out of adjustment or worn out.

Sound like the steering box is actually out of adjustment. Take it to some one who

knows what they are doing. Assuming it is not rack and pinion there are two sets of bearings to be set up to the correct preload. One set is on the shaft that the steering wheel turns the other is on the shaft the pitman arm hangs off.
Just screwing down the fairly obvious nut on the top of the box won't solve the problem unless the other adjustment is set up correctly first.

Steering boxes are fairly simple in principle but there is a distinct lack of knowledge being applied when people try to adjust them.

good luck in finding someone who can fix it, but at least this might help you ask the right questions before you hand them your vehicle.

regards

A
AnswerID: 69909

Sponsored Links